“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Putting a 1911 magazine spring back in the mag - which way does it go?

Slingshot

Putting a 1911 magazine spring back in the mag - which way does it go?

Hello to any 1911 style pistol owners! I took my llama max 1, a 1911 lookalike, to the range recently. Afterwards I cleaned the gun including removing the mag spring from the mag so I could clean there. Cant remember the springs exact position in the mag & wasn't paying attn when removing like I should have been. One end of the spring has a little loop on the end the other end doesn't. I think the end w/o the loop goes in first but which way should the loop face. To the front or back. Any info would be helpful. Ps it's a factory mag but appears identical to a standard 1911 mag

Re: Putting a 1911 magazine spring back in the mag - which way does it go?

Hi Browning 9 Guy,

Sorry this is the only thing I could find.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/llama_maxi.pdf

Good Luck!
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Without seeing it, I'd guess the 'loop' you refer supports the follower & the other end goes in the bottom of the mag tube. The high point, when holding the spring vertical, goes to the front of the magazine.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

Thank you both. Valuable info about the mag spring. NCflyfisher, the llama manual is a jewel. This is 9 x 17 Guy from the Bersa forum (inherited the 2002 llama max 1 and fired only recently). It runs 100 percent but gives signs of sluggishness when dirty. Do either of you guys own 1911 types & have you found tips of the trade to keep running reliable? thanks and have a terrific week. Ps it's stopped raining here in ft worth. Can't wait for the cold cloudy stuff to finally move in. Good shootin' weather.

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

If it gets sluggish from getting dirty, maybe too much oil? Generally, less is better. That's one reason I like Finish Line Dri Lube. It doesn't seem to get 'sludgey' when dirty. But, I must qualify that by saying I seldom shoot over 50 rds in a pistol on a trip to the range unless I'm breaking one in. One of the few things I agree with MT on. If you're shooting over 50 rds, you ain't practicing, your just burning powder. Probably no more than 100 if breaking one in. I usually have several pistols with me, including my .22, so I get plenty of fun on the trip. I just may not be getting it dirty enough to become an issue. Now if it's a mechanical thing, you'll have to get someone that knows more than I do.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

Thanks---- well I think the lube was probably it. Less is better whereas t my newbe mind it needed to be practically dripping w/ hoppes gun oil. I learned a lesson. Am thinking of getting my TX CCW permit. There's a course near here for 150 bucks. Plan to carry federal hydrashok in 9mm or the same in 45. Lean toward carrying the 9 cause of capacity. But the internets full of different opinions about what's the best carry ammo. Do you have a preference for carry ammo? Thanks again for the great info. Ps forgot to mention that I bought a hi point 45 pistol a few weeks ago. 100 percent reliable at the range w wwb or remington 230 gr ball Mild recoil comparatively. The oooooonly thing I have to get past mentally is the zinc / aluminum alloy slide and too-long grip. Reminds me of something I'd build from scrap from a salvage yard. But it's reliable to a fault. Also darned accurate. Wouldn't hesitate to carry it for SD. Weight? Well it's heavy but not prohibitivel.

Slingshot

Pps. My 2 sons who are 14 and 19 shot the hi point at the range. Both being new to shooting like me they limpwristed terribly same as I did at first. The hi point refused to jam. I showed em how to control the flip. Darned things like a 1960 Plymouth we had long ago. It refused to break down. Ever. Breach lock designs have their place but you can't beat the simplicity of straight blowback

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

I prefer the Federal HST ammo for self defense because it did well in all calibers in jug tests, meaning it expanded nicely & did not over penetrate, plus cheaper than most other SD ammo. It's about $30 per 50 rds. for 9mm & $40 per 50 for .45ACP, compared to $20-$30 for box of 20 for others. Corbon DPX is another good one, but also more expensive.Check out the Ammo Jug Tests by NCFlyfisher in the Ammo section.

Yeah, I've heard that the Hi Points are h**l for stout & reliable. The slide material may not be for long life, but with a lifetime warranty shouldn't be an issue. I hefted a .45 at a local store a while back & I don't think I'd want to carry it all day. I'd think of it more as a truck tool box pistol where you are not concerned about getting it banged up, etc.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

The kids and I would shoot the 45s a bunch more often if ammo weren't so darned expensive. As it is we shoot the sw9ve sigma and Taurus m82 38 cause monarch is ok on price

Slingshot

Bought the taurus in 1994. A sweet gun. 3-in barrel on a k- frame. Mirror blued finish and built like a tank. Also have the llama 45 and 9mm sigma Taurus manual says no plus P but I've shot Speer lawman 158 gr tmj plus p through it lots and no I'll effects. Bull barrel & heavy frame. It ain't no lightweight. The llamas reliable but parts are hard to find so want to limit shooting it as something might eventually break. Mitchr please tell me about your guns. Take care, rest on His strength and don't worry about things.

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

I have 5 Bersas, .380 CC, UC & HC 9mm, Firestorm Mini 40 S&W (same as pre Pro Thunder UC40) & a UC45. I've got 5 1911s, all .45ACP, with more on my wish list. I have a Kel-Tec PF9 & it's the only one I have a slight regret for buying.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

Nice collection. I've had my eye on a Bersa 45. Would like to see your 1911s. I have a 2002 charter undercover and an naa mini 22 lr. The boys like the 22 mini. My sw9ve sigma got some scratches on it's ss slide last time we were at the range. Have read online that mothers mag polish and elbow grease will polish it to a mirror finish so that's my next gun project. Really truly would like to sell the llama 45 cause of scarcity of parts and get the Bersa 45. But jeez 45 ammo costs although academy has a good deal on monarch. 17 $ for 50 rds which is about what Tula & wolf cost. Have you spotted any good ammo deals? I'd like to try steel cased just out of curiosity. Have a terrific weekend!

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

Haven't spotted any deals on .45 but only on-line shopping I do for ammo is for SD ammo because I can't find what I want here. Walmart seems to have as good prices as anyone, except when Academy has a good sale.

As for seeing my 1911s, I haven't learned to do pix, so you're gonna have to come over here & shoot 'em. Had a couple of them at the range today, in fact.

You have a good weekend, also.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

Just got back from Cheaper than Dirt. Their centerfire handgun ammo is tad on the high side so went to academy and picked up a box of monarch 9mm for range visit next weekend. There is a walmart fairly close by - I'm going there n way to the range for 45 and 380. Only have 2 bersas. Both BT 380s. Both are darned good reliable guns. BTW cheaper t dirt can't keep them in stock. You have to visit the store the very day they receive an allotment. Mitchr how do the Bersa 9 and 40 shoot? hoping for cold cloudy weather - makes for good range shooting. Ps did you all get any of that rain last week? Take care

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

Another member described the 9mm as smoooooth & that's a good description. The .40 is pretty snappy, but not a problem. We got 1.1" rain Monday, but we need that every day for two weeks to catch up. They are predicting a dry winter though, so I guess next year's gonna be tough also.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

Was hoping for a cool & wet winter. My 19 y o son was asking me a question at the range -- the hi point needs the heavy slide to absorb the energy that isn't otherwise imparted to the bullet itself due to the straight blowback design. However, given the same cartridge, a locked breach pistol transmits the exact same amt of energy to the bullet without a heavy slide to absorb the excess. So where does that energy go? I told him the slide still absorbs it along w your hand. Don't know if that's exactly true. Kind of interesting. After all my llama 45 thumps alot harder than the hi point