“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Oldtime Photos of Aviation from Yesteryear

VIP Site Supporter Rollin Thunder's Avatar

Oldtime Photos of Aviation from Yesteryear

Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Re: Oldtime Photos of Aviation from Yesteryear

Very Cool pics of some of the great Aircraft of a great Era. My Dad flew a C-47 in WWII.
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Excellent pics, thanks!
    Certified Armed Infidel
    كافر

Moderator of the Year
    Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Thanks for the reminder, RT. My dad was a salvage crew chief who had to hustle to pick up wrecked P-47s and other planes out in the European boonies. It was definitely "finders keepers, losers weepers."
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Thanks for sharing.
    "You can give Peace a chance....I'll cover you if it doesn't work out."

Thanks for posting. Love seeing the old birds!
    ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired (Aka-9UC)
    "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
    Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Love seeing the old birds!
    I like watching birds too Like the one flying the PT-19
    Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 04-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

VIP Site Benefactor

How come there were no pics of RC in his Whirlybird in those vintage shots?

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    How come there were no pics of RC in his Whirlybird in those vintage shots?
    I burned everything I had from Vietnam within a week of arriving back in the US, uniforms, medals, photos etc.

I did catch a film clip of me flying my Huey on the History channel about two years ago, I think I remember it was filmed in super 8 video by a Stars and Stripes combat reporter. It was about the Troopers and the pilots of the 2nd of the 7th Cav. about a 10 minute segment of an hour show of the 1st. Cav. Division in the early days of Vietnam. It was shot just two weeks before my sister unit the 1st. of the 7th. Cav. got overrun in the Ia Drang valley in November 1965. The book "We were soldiers once and young" was 90% fact the movie made from it about 40% fact.

Honestly I show my avatar patch here as a memorial to the troopers who didn't make the final roll call. In real life I don't talk about Vietnam except help with memorials from time to time. I have had to opportunity to be flown to the wall for a ceremony a few years back and turned it down, I still can't face that one, not even now.

My feelings today are that Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan were just a waist of human lives and have caused more harm the the United States than good.
    Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 04-23-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

VIP Site Benefactor

I don't disagree with you..

Was just a little "geezer Jab" was my only intent.

VIP Site Supporter BigCityChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
    I burned everything I had from Vietnam within a week of arriving back in the US, uniforms, medals, photos etc.

I did catch a film clip of me flying my Huey on the History channel about two years ago, I think I remember it was filmed in super 8 video by a Stars and Stripes combat reporter. It was about the Troopers and the pilots of the 2nd of the 7th Cav. about a 10 minute segment of an hour show of the 1st. Cav. Division in the early days of Vietnam. It was shot just two weeks before my sister unit the 1st. of the 7th. Cav. got overrun in the Ia Drang valley in November 1965. The book "We were soldiers once and young" was 90% fact the movie made from it about 40% fact.

Honestly I show my avatar patch here as a memorial to the troopers who didn't make the final roll call. In real life I don't talk about Vietnam except help with memorials from time to time. I have had to opportunity to be flown to the wall for a ceremony a few years back and turned it down, I still can't face that one, not even now.

My feelings today are that Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan were just a waist of human lives and have caused more harm the the United States than good.
    Your very eloquently stated position on Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan is reflective of the thoughts many of my combat veteran relatives have expressed. Most of my Vietnam-era relatives who served in combat rarely speak of the experience, even amongst themselves, unless drawn together by inevitable circumstance for a funeral at Arlington or similar venue. Thank you for your moving words, sir.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Moderator of the Year
    Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Most of the vets who survived World War II came home proud of what they had done, although they didn't want to talk much about their individual experiences. There were no parades to welcome us home after Vietnam, only our families were glad to see us. It was a costly, terrible waste of human lives. I'm not for getting ourselves into every fight that comes along--only those which directly endangers our security--but once we're in, it should be fought with an eye towards total victory. You don't go to war to end it, but to win it.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

VIP Site Supporter BigCityChief's Avatar
    ^I couldn't agree more, sir.^
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Well worth the time!

Thanks for the link, R.T.!

The pilot of the Memphis Bell was from Asheville, NC. He died a few years ago. Interesting story about his home coming:

Although General Henry H. Hap Arnold had given Morgan permission to fly the B-17 as low as he pleased during their tour, it's almost certain that the general hadn't meant for the bomber to buzz rooftops as she made her way across the nation. Nonetheless, when Morgan piloted Belle to an event in his hometown of Asheville, N.C., he brought the big bomber in low, barely skimming the roofs of downtown buildings and seemingly aiming for the city hall and courthouse. There was some space between the two buildings, but not enough to accommodate the 103-foot wingspan of the B-17. Just moments before Belle would have crashed, Morgan flipped her on her side and blasted through the gap — vertically. Some startled observers on the ground muttered that whoever was piloting the plane should be court-martialed. Source: http://www.historynet.com/memphis-be...-17-bomber.htm

“Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

Pretty cool, thanks!
    Gunowner99
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Bersa Thunder 380 Plus