“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Vietnam Memorial Whats Wrong Here?

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Vietnam Memorial Whats Wrong Here?

Vietnam Memorial Whats Wrong Here?

For many years I have passed our war memorial park and asked why no Vietnam Memorial after 50 years? Have the people in the us just given up on us or would rather still sweep this under the rug and hope the memory goes away.

I asked at the VA just across the park that question, many veteran organizations and city councils through the years. No one cared?

Well last month, April 2013, I got what I had wished for for many years, A Vietnam Memorial located in Memorial Park. But this may shock you all. Still no one gave a damn about putting one up so who did it. Read on and look at the photos I took today

Here is the first one, note it doesn't just stop at our US casualties.

Over sized photo so you could read it, these all just from my cell phone, I wish it was my real camera.

Now a couple photos of the memorial.

Still wondering who cared enough to do this.... How about "The Vietnamese-American Memorial Committee of Florida" 100% Vietnamese US Citizens!

Vietnamese Corporate sponsors

I am at home tonight posting this and am happy for my new memorial, but still deep inside me is a sadness that it took the Vietnamese people their caring and fund raising to put this memorial in an American Memorial Park. I held a prejudice against these people all these years, as of today 5/27/2013 I ask for their forgiveness and will always be grateful to them for this deed of kindness.

I would love to post my real name on this but here I'm just RC.
    Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 05-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Moderator of the Year
    Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Re: Vietnam Memorial Whats Wrong Here?

I was searching the clues to find an answer to your question, but I can see you worked it out for yourself. We'll never learn to everyone's satisfaction why America entered, endured and then exited so costly and senseless a conflict, but history is repeating itself as if it's a generational curse. I would like to believe that monuments such as these would serve as a warning to shun these fits of national madness, but such is the darker side of human nature. Like you, RC, I am heartened to see the Vietnamese people of your community step forward to erect a continual reminder so that the sacrifices of those who lived and died are not forgotten.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

All I can say is "ditto".
    Thanks RC and GS.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Very well said gun sane.

Cap and Ball

Damn shame, but at least there is finally a memorial. Even little Erie, Pa. has a memorial. It took 40 years to get put up, but it was done by donations from local citizens, through the VFW and American Legion, I believe.

BTW, this is the third memorial funded by Vietnamese immigrants. There's one in Houston, and another in California.

Thanks for the posting RC. Guess I was one of the fortunate ones. While I was on a long break from active duty in the mid seventies I was privileged to meet several of the first generation of the boat people that were settled in Dallas. They risk all to come here, struggled to learn English, find jobs and/or open small family businesses and educate their children. I'm also reminded that a number of years ago while struggling with and through my emotions while walking the length of the Moving Wall when it was first presented here in Las Vegas. A thought struck me as I was searching out the names of those my squadron lost while I was there. I wondered to myself that day, what would a "Black Wall" look like, how long would would it stretch with all the names of all the Vietnamese, both military and civilian look like from the time of the time of the French occupation through 1975.
    ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired (Aka-9UC)
    "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
    Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

That's really pretty special, the people who's freedom you fought for put up the memorial.

If you'd asked the Feds what was wrong, they'd have said the statutes didn't depict a diversity of races. That's all they think about.
    Certified Armed Infidel
    كافر

I was at the one in DC on Saturday, can you say packed? Wow!
    Gunowner99
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Bersa Thunder 380 Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
    as off today 5/27/2013 I ask for their forgiveness and will always be grateful to them for this deed of kindness.
    we are human, only human...long time ago.....be at peace.....

Slingshot

Healing takes time. Sometimes a lifetime. Forgiving is hard but essential to the process. Forgiving yourself is often the hardest.

Slingshot

While I appreciate and respect your initial post, lets not forget that the contributors to the memorial are no less American than any of the rest of us.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by heymak View Post
    While I appreciate and respect your initial post, lets not forget that the contributors to the memorial are no less American than any of the rest of us.
    Agreed, not forgotten.

Unlike many they never put a hand out for the fat welfare check, they worked long hours and have contributed to our society more than most.
    My surprise was it was their ethnic group that came forward while the others here turned their heads the other way.

Beautiful Memorial very moving. Some times it takes years of healing and understanding. After 38 yrs many of these Vietnamese who helped with the Memorial are probably 2nd generation Americans. Memorials to our WWII Service Men have been erected in Normandy.
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM