“Making “Wolfgang
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new target stand

My new target stand

We do most of our shooting on public land, so we really can't set up anything permanent to hold targets. I threw this together out of stuff I had lying around. I used a staple gun to attach clothes pins to the 2x2's to hold clay pigeons. The plywood on the ends have two square holes cut in each one. The 2x2's slide into the holes. The holes are cut rotated a little so when you put the clay pigeons in they are held vertical. Easily comes apart for transporting to and from the range. Other items could easily be held by clothes pins, or hung from it, such as the tie plate you can see in the photo. We tried it out yesterday and it worked pretty good. The tie plate was fun, but when you hit it bullet fragments frequently took out nearby pigeons. It's also kind of heavy for this setup, when you got it swinging good it tended to knock pigeons off. The 2x2's took a few hits, but are easily replaced when they get too beat up. I think I'll figure out something different for the tie plate, but I'm real happy with it otherwise. The wife and I will get a lot of use out of this. Any suggestions for improvements or additions?

Special Preferred Supporter JONESN's Avatar

Re: My new target stand

Thats one Nice Chilly Range you have set up!

Yeah- Coool

Quote Originally Posted by JONESN View Post
    Thats one Nice Chilly Range you have set up!
    Actually I thought the weather was great for shooting. Temp in the high 20's, sunny and no wind. If it had been warmer it would have started melting, and then it would have been wet and sloppy.

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Now that looks like fun. Might put challenge swinging targets to a post at either end so you can pop them back and forth.

Bill
    W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Neat idea. Would a plexiglass plate be an adequate sub for the steel one? It'd certainly have to be replaced more often, but would be quite a bit lighter. An aluminum would be better, I suppose.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Lexan, maybe instead of Plexiglas.
    Certified Armed Infidel
    كافر

I was thinking of using cheap pots and pans obtained from garage sales. I rember reading that sugestion from someone here on Bersachat a while back. Just have to wait until next spring for garage sales to start up again. I was also thinking of hanging my square self healing target on it, or playing cards held by clothes pins. Heard that one here to.

That looks like a pretty good rig. I was thinking of making a portable and collapsible one I could take to the range in my trunk, but with steel targets. Maybe also with a gong. My range rule for steel is a minimum of 33 ft. Some I see for sale recommend further distances for safety. Hmmm.
    Bersa Thunder .380, Academy model.

Give the Gift of Life.
    Register to become and organ,tissue, and eye donor:
    http://www.organdonor.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    That looks like a pretty good rig. I was thinking of making a portable and collapsible one I could take to the range in my trunk, but with steel targets. Maybe also with a gong. My range rule for steel is a minimum of 33 ft. Some I see for sale recommend further distances for safety. Hmmm.
    Yea that's one of the disadvantages of shooting steel. I've always gone with at least 30 feet for handguns, and even farther for long guns. We were about 35 feet, maybe a little more when we tried it out. That distance made hitting the clay pigeons challenging, but fun. One thing we noticed was the 2x2 on the bottom was taking quite a bit of damage right below the steel plate from bullet fragments. It seems a lot of the fragments go down. I moved the steel plate to the bottom 2x2 to lessen the damage. if you did just a single cross-member and make it out of a 2x4 it would probably work good for steel targets. I might have to make a second one.

That is a neat idea. May I steal it? I've got a few boxes of clays laying around begging to be used for targets. And Gyrkin.... Cheap pans from yard sales etc work great. THey hold up for a few range sessions before needing replacement. Try not to hit the handles.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Spray your metal gong with orange marking paint, you can see the target better, each hit shows up and you can spray it as often as you want. See my post here on how the paint shows the hits. > http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...l-Target-Stand.

Also your top bar is the stabilizing bar and it holds the weight of the gong. Move the bottom bar a few inches to the front offset from the top bar. This should reduce bullet fragments from hitting the surrounding clays.

Every range has different rules on steel, My club it must be underslung (Like yours) and a minimum of 40 yards 120' from the firing line.
    Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 12-27-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Special Deputy to
    the Administrator

I like shooting targets that bust. Nice stand

Quote Originally Posted by TuxAir View Post
    Cheap pans from yard sales etc work great. THey hold up for a few range sessions before needing replacement. Try not to hit the handles.
    If you hit the handle couldn't you just rehang it from one of the bullet holes. I would assume even a 380 would put holes through cheap pans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
    I like shooting targets that bust. Nice stand
    We shoot clay pigeons a lot. I don't know why it's so satisfying to shoot something that busts but it is. Putting little holes in paper isn't near as much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
    Move the bottom bar a few inches to the front offset from the top bar. This should reduce bullet fragments from hitting the surrounding clays.
    That's a great idea. I'll have to give that a try. Here is a photo of one of the end pieces that shows how the holes for the 2x2's are cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrkin View Post
    Here is a photo of one of the end pieces that shows how the holes for the 2x2's are cut.
    Looks like you could substitute a couple of Gibson Flying V guitars instead:
    f962a486-6971-41e2-a507-0e62746b48f0-500.jpg
    Bersa Thunder .380, Academy model.

Give the Gift of Life.
    Register to become and organ,tissue, and eye donor:
    http://www.organdonor.gov/

Took the target stand out again today. I haven't had a chance to cut new holes so I didn't use the tie plate. Instead I dug an old skillet out of the back of the cupboard. It's one that we never use so we won't miss it. The only problem is with the long handle it hung down too low. If I hung it on the top rail it was right in front of the bottom rail. Hung from the bottom rail it rested on the ground, but was held up enough to work. I think I will build another stand with only a top rail and that made out of a 2x4. That stand will be for steel and this one for clay pigeons.

We didn't stay out long, but had a good time. If you hit the skillet just right you could make it flip all the way around over the top. Here is a photo of the wife having at it with her BT.380

Preferred Site Supporter drband's Avatar
    Looks like Antarctica. Sure you guys are not stuck on that "global warming" research ship? :)

Bersa Thunder .380, xD9sc, RIA 1911 .45 MS, Browning Hipower 9mm, Rossi .32 S&WL revolver - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Load, Shoot, Clean, Repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by drband View Post
    Looks like Antarctica. Sure you guys are not stuck on that "global warming" research ship? :)
    Ha that's a good one. Actually for Wyoming in January it was pretty nice, only a couple of inches of snow on the ground and temps in the lower 30's. It was however cold enough that the wife was shooting with gloves on. She was still shooting pretty good even with the gloves on. Wearing gloves has always messed up my shooting. Maybe I should practice more with them on. After all I wear them about six months out of the year.

That's an awesome set up! Makes me wanna go and build one! Think I will.., thanks for taking the time to share and post!
    "If there is a demand for people in poverty, poverty will rise and meet the demand" . (Milton Friedman)

Very nice Gyrkin! I'm going to build something very similar for use when I go shoot at the land where I hunt! (after hunting season of course).
    WAR EAGLE!

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    IDPA Member/Competitor

www.bslbullet.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast