“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: A KNIFE LIKE BOWIES

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

A KNIFE LIKE BOWIES

Little history on the Bowie Knife.

http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dew...ke_bowies.html
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Moderator of the Year
    Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Re: A KNIFE LIKE BOWIES

The original Alamo Bowie knife? I've got it in our kitchen drawer. The Princess uses it to slice Velveeta for nachos.
    Last edited by gun sane; 07-03-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

I love that kind of stuff MT, thanks. I have a box full of old magazines that have historical knife articles. I go back and reread them all the time. I even have the HIGHLY dubious book called Iron Mistress and a copy of the movie made from it with Alan Ladd, great stuff, just not real historically accurate. I have long said I wanted to tackle a Searles style bowie, I am thinking soon is the time to do it. I have a book MT called The Knife in Homespun America by Madison Grant you should check it out, it has great pics of old knives.

GS, no one knows what the knife Bowie had with him at the Alamo looked like. The one in the article MT gave is designed by Rezen who is one of the only people that knew what the original Vadalia Sandbar knife looked like, he had them made by Searles to give to people for years after. By all accounts JB had many different knives made during his lifetime, some including ones that took on the features that were becoming popular so that people could attribute them to him. There are two which have many backers for "The Knife". One is the Moore Bowie knife, and one is the knife supposedly taken from the Alamo by Sequin. Here is a bit about them. Neither one has any real bonafides, more family history and speculation. So, if you really have it, may I come worship at your kitchen drawer?

As an addition the Sequin bowie has a Dguard, and the ONLY painting of Jim bowie that shows him with any kind of knife shows him holding a knife with a DGuard, that and the butt of the handle is the only recognizable feature. Another interesting feature on the Juan Sequin blade is the handle, if you look it looks VERY similar to the Searles knife handle a possible plus for the Sequin blade if JB liked that style handle, perhaps, but a guess only. There is also a third one which has some backers, I cannot remember the name, will have to do some research, oh poor me gotta read about knives...

The third knife which has been claimed to be THE one is the Musso bowie again, no real definitive documentation proves this, despite Joe Mussos book. In the pic of the Musso bowie is also an Iron Mistress made from the movie Iron Mistress which shows how massive the Musso bowie is, if memory serves the Iron Mistress had a 9 or 10 inch blade.

Me, I think either Bowie gave his knife to Sequin is slightly possible (he used Bowies horse but I have never seen anywhere that he claimed Bowie gave his knife. It was speculation years after his death) or more likely it got burned with his body then buried in the mass grave.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/292804413245782520/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/17170042305879023/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/145944844148958465/

http://morro-bay.com/morsels/manny-silva/bowie-knife/
    Last edited by lee1959; 07-04-2015 at 03:35 PM.

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

I was so impressed when I found this at the Ft. Worth Gun Show, I had to buy it. Browning & Son Knife.jpg

Small of the back scabbard. 4" is legal in Texas. J Earl Browning & Son from Alvarado, TX. Face book page here: https://www.facebook.com/browningandsoncustomknives

Bill
    W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

That is a beautiful knife.

I collect bowie knives. I also study early TX history. You are correct that no one actually knows what the knife Jim Bowie had made, fought with, and died with at the Alamo looks like. We do have a good idea from research, however. It is a short sword, in other words the knife was big and it was said looked like a large butcher knife. The ones I have, except one, have the cutting edge on the top of the blade as well. There are lots of examples, but most are of the same design. It is a beautiful knife, and some are quite expensive. What I would give to have seen the original one !!
    Life NRA, GOA, & LEAA. Member KS State Rifle Assn.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    What I would give to have seen the original one !!
    You and me both. Here is one I made for a friend in Texas when we did a blind trade, neither knowing what the other was sending. I called it appropriately the Texas Trade Kniife, as everything that went into it was traded for.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

I have a copy of the Iron Mistress Knife. Seems that knife got around . Was used in Movie Bowie Last Command(Sterling Hayden) , The TV series, John Wayne Alamo , Those are ones I can remember.
    I have a few Bowies But I really prefer my CS Trail master Bowie Over all for carry( had it out last night cleaning it. To me better than my Laredo. 9 1/2" blade 15" overall to me just feels more balanced and I can IWB under a lite jacket. My false back edge will cut on a back snap. Oh the ever loved Marine K Bar carries IWB well also and is a Bowie design .
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Revolver

I saw these at Christmas at historic old Fort Concho a few years ago. Reenactors put on demonstrations of life in the 1800's. Vendors from all over the country attend the celebration. One vendor was selling knives.

e-227.jpg

e-228.jpg

e-229.jpg

Very nice work, even the leather work has a distinct sense of its own style. Not much on finger grooves for knives for practical uses, but they do add a distinctive touch on that blade. The second one looks very like a common rifleman's knife of the early frontier, which I happen to like very much and am particularly drawn to, the everyman's common using knife.