“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Ruger Knives by CRKT

Preferred Site Supporter OysterMan's Avatar

Ruger Knives by CRKT

Generally not that keen on buying knives from gun makers but these Ruger knives are made by CRKT. Kinda like that "Go-N-Heavy" with the 5" blade.

http://ruger.com/micros/crkt/

Cabela's has a few for sale for less than the Ruger website... http://www.cabelas.com/product/crkt-...tabsCollection

Re: Ruger Knives by CRKT

Taking into consideration that I'm not very knowledgeable or one who is into knives, but the one on the Cabela site is a good looking blade.
    ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired (Aka-9UC)
    "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
    Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Like big one but the locking liner is a deal killer for me I had one fold years back. No one can beat CS Triad lock for strength If your seriously using you knife and you thrust hard and target moves and you hit a concrete wall or steel beam That lock might give and your fingers eat the blade. . But hey can always cook them next BBQ
    Next question how much are these bad boys

CRKT against CS CRKT claims lock is strong as a fix blade This suppose to be one of the strongest folders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufYQFjj65s
    Last edited by Michael T; 11-17-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Preferred Site Supporter OysterMan's Avatar

Next question how much are these bad boys
    Clicking the Buy Now by the knives will show the price. The four different models that Cabela's actually have are all listed at about $20 less than the Ruger website price. So I'm guessing the "Go-N-Heavy" w/5" blade that Ruger has listed at $99.95 will probably street value at around $80?

Prices are steep for Columbia river Knife and Tool knives. You can get a good Cold Steel or Benchmade, or various other good makersfor those prices. CRKT knives are ok but never been real impressed, especially their liners, they tend to close even with the LAWKs because the LAWKs is made so loose it is pretty ineffectual.

Go with Cold Steel Triad or Benchmade's Axis for a real trustworthy lock on a folder.

There was a thread on another forum about the CRKT /cold Steel debate over lock strength, here were two of my replies which I stand behind

1. As a life long knife nut, knifemaker, and student of the blade (you should see my library lol) I have got to say that as an owner of both brands Cold Steel has a distinct point. The Lawks does not make a virtual fixed blade knife, in my opinion. It fixes a known issue, the reason for it being created, in that liner locks, more correctly known as the Walker lock after the inventor, can close if side pressure is applied, especially by the left hand with most models, ask me how I know this to be true...

Ok, the Lawkes, Lake/Walker safety goes a long way toward fixing this, I know because I own one. BUT, the CRTK variation is VERY easy to put on and off, in fact it can go off rather easily during use, it is simply very sloppy on every model I have seen. Therefore it is NOT the same as a fixed blade.

Now, the Cold Steel knives I have used have generally been a lot safer feeling, the tolerances are better and the locks made better. I have never had a Cold Steel close on my hand, even left handed.

In y experience, the closest thing to a fixed blade was the Blackie collins bolt Action design, which had a piece of steel attached to a sliding thumbbolt slip into a groove on the spine (see groove in spine of knife below, a sort of notch near the pivot), locking it in place and creating a virtual fixed blade. The strength of the knife was as strong as the handle material (very similar to a short stick tang fixed blade) because the only way for the lock to fail was to push down on the spine or handle so hard that the piece of bolt actualy fractures the handle, never seen it happen. This is the folding knife design I have carried day in and day out for about 20 years since Gerber first put one out. It is also easy for a leftie like myself to manipulate the bolt for opening and closing even though it is on the side for a rightie. The only liner lock I would carry is the small cricket (see picture) I carry daily. And only then because it is carried for my right hand, and it simply is one of the most viscious little beasties I have held, it goes through leather jacket like butter.

2. Glad I could help clear things up. Whenever you get marketing and lawyers together things become extremely hard to follow, at least for me.

To expound on the problem with the Walker lock: The nature of the lock mechanism is that part of the folders liner, the metal frame of the knife, is split and bent so that when the blade is open is slides sideways, locking the blade in place. The problem then comes in when the knife is grasped in the normal saber grip. When the hand grips the handle the folds of skin in the palm and fingers naturally preses on the liner in a sideways motion. In some cases, especially with the grip of a left hander, this skin put sideways pressure on the liner IN THE NORMAL UNLOCKING DIRECTION OF THE LINER, slipping it past the blade. This turns the knife into a blade with no lock or even the safety of the old fashioned back spring of the old non locking folder to keep the knife open, the blade will basically flop down if you stop cutting with it. Well, where are your fingers? In the way of the falling blade.

This is indemic of the entire style of lock, I have owned quite a number of them before I finally figured no matter the quality it can and will happen. I was cut several times. I have owned CRKT, Benchmade, Emerson and others, and the all could do thison me.

When this became well known, Micheal Walker and Lake decided to make the LAWKs which is a sliding safety which blocks the liner lock from moving to the side. A good idea, but I have yet to see one which is sufficiently hard to "unlock" for it to be 100% effective. Which is of course not to say they dont exist, simply I have yet to see one.

This is why some companies have created new locks, and put them on styles previously made with the liner lock, IE Benchmades Axis lock and Cold Steels Triad. CRTK on the other hand has went with the LAWKs almost exclusively. The reason is that generally the liner lock is cheap to make, it utlizes something most knives already had, a liner.

For a whie now, Cold Steel has been advertising themsellves as making the worlds strongest knives, includung locks. And torture testing their blades on DVD for buyers is part of their marketing. This is why they have to go after CRKT, to "prove" that their knife is still just a folder, and not as strong as Cold Steels. At least that is how I read the whole thing.

I have Carson M16s -two 3" and two 4".

We used to sail a lot and needed knives that can be opened one-handed
    and won't close when you don't want the to.
    These knives have the LAWKS system, and I wouldn't have anything else.
    I keep them sharp enough to PRESS though a rope without sawing.
    (They hold a beautiful edge!)

I don't collect knives.
    These are tools. Very fine tools!

ps: Lee, TIGHTEN UP THE LOCK SCREW.
    Well Armed Christian Soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
    I have Carson M16s -two 3" and two 4".

We used to sail a lot and needed knives that can be opened one-handed
    and won't close when you don't want the to.
    These knives have the LAWKS system, and I wouldn't have anything else.
    I keep them sharp enough to PRESS though a rope without sawing.
    (They hold a beautiful edge!)

I don't collect knives.
    These are tools. Very fine tools!

ps: Lee, TIGHTEN UP THE LOCK SCREW.
    I have worked with finding a balance of tightening the pivot screw and too hard to open and never found a good medium which pleased me enough to make me comfortable with the lock, without it interfering too much with a smooth opening of the knife. I know, am a real picky SOB. Glad it works for you though :)

All in the wrist!
    Well Armed Christian Soldier!