“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Catty knife. Need food for thought.

Slingshot

Catty knife. Need food for thought.

With the idea that I could probably get a knife out faster than my gun, at least initially I am thinking about getting a carry. What would be some things to consider about placement, handedness, draw style, things like that?

How about features to look for or avoid in a knife?
    Blade length/width?
    Serrated?
    Weight?
    Grip type.
    Unless someone can talk me into it I really dont see myself getting a switchblade and I think butterflys are dumb.

Re: Catty knife. Need food for thought.

Well, I believe I might have more questions than suggestions, but here goes:

(One requirement I put on a carry knife is that I can present it, ready for use, with one hand.)

For strong side or weak side? for weak side an OTF is a good choice, or even the Kabar TDI.

If for either hand, then placement is more important and I would lean towards a fixed blade somewhere between 10 and 2 o"clock on the belt.

Neck knives are a good option, but for me, because of access issues, I only use a neck knife when I ride (bicycle that is).

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but this is a start .....
    Certified Armed Infidel .

Slingshot

Upsides and downsides to push knives. Seems like alot of control.

Official Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

I'm not a knife person, but as for type & length, be sure to check your state's laws, yourself. Don't take anyone's word for it.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

As of 02/16 I believe anyone can conceal anything short of a sword or dagger here in Wisconsin.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Simple for self defense a Cold Steel Rajah ll for edc utility the smaller Rajah lll

One of the fastest opening knives in the world. I have carried one for about 8 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIL5ShgZJYY

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

I carry two blades one easily available to each hand. The first is a one hand opening Blackie Collins designed folder carried in my left hip pocket, my dominant hand. The second is a spyderco cricket clipped into the change pocket of my pants on the right hand side. This allows me quick easy access to a knife at any given time especially if cornered and having to grapple an opponent.

My fastest mode of defense would be my walking stick. When I had a knee injury many years ago I started using a cane, then having had two hip replacements I kept up the process, now I carry a Cold Steel Blackthorn walking stick and practice Irish stick fighting.

These are bladed tools I carry daily. Each ust find the tools that work best for them.

Last edited by lee1959; 04-08-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

If I am going to carry a Knife for self defense . I want the longest blade I can get away with . Folders I want a 5 1/2 smallest fixed 7"

A 6" X2 old CS voyager is 13" open If I holding at rear of grip I know have a 9" of reach in knife . That 3 1/2 " blade tactical folder your carrying going to suck Trying to get by my 9" reach . Plus you likely use your to cut open boxes or other chores. Means unless you sharpen every time you use. Its no longer shaving sharp.. Any Knife carried for self defense should never cut anything that doesn't bleed.

If a fix blade I say 7" blade . Many can conceal a 10 or more Bowie IWB I can carry my Cold Steel Trail Master 10 in+ IWB but still need a better sheath for that . K Bar works good. IWB or on Belt. .

I know going to hear can't carry a large blade over what ever against the law. Well against the law to speed also people do it. I have traveled 46 of the 48 (ND&SD missed nothing their anyway ) and Canada for 13+years when trucking a 5" or larger blade folder clipped pocket and many times a K bar or Bowie on belt. Never once bothered in any state or Canada about my knife.. Don't act a fool and no one will notice. .

I carried my Spanish Navaja many times on road . They require a 2 handed opening But the opening Spanish way leaves you in guard position.. They also say If expecting trouble Knife should be open ready for use.

To give reference . The switch blade at top is 13" open At bottom those 2 are 4" blades I have carried over years all these Knives .

Butterfly is a original Balisong made in LA . 1981 . Company now called Benchmade . Last time they saw that knife offered me 1000 for it . I waited 9 mo for delivery and cost me 180 new. I will take to NRA this year and let them drool over it again.

My favorite Navaja 16" open Bought in late 80's $65 last I looked 350 from Spain
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Slingshot

As far as I can tell I can now carry a sword openly...or concealed. Probably wont...

That aside I think a longer blade would be beneficial for keeping some distance from an attacker.

The one in the above video seems a bit bulkey but I like the opening action.

Slingshot

Would a fixed blade iwb be faster than a folder cliped on the belt or pocket?

Fixed is ready to pull but maybe slower to get out?
    Folder is out already but needs to be opened, might fumble it?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ0806 View Post
    Would a fixed blade iwb be faster than a folder cliped on the belt or pocket?

Fixed is ready to pull but maybe slower to get out?
    Folder is out already but needs to be opened, might fumble it?
    I have a Kershaw folding blade knife with a thumb operated quick open mechanism. And it has a clip on it for clipping on my belt or pants pockets.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Slingshot

20160430_225834.jpg
    20160430_225757.jpg

Here is what I went with.
    Spring action with a belt clip.
    Im working on getting my left hand trained.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Easy to conceal and deadly fast is a Push dagger 5" bade IWB only the T grip showing Draw and the T is now inside tour closed fist can punch and slash your target . Think of a upper cut to jaw with a 5" blade leading the way .
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !