“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Cold Steel Recon Tanto San Mai III

Preferred Site Supporter OysterMan's Avatar

Cold Steel Recon Tanto San Mai III

I would usually prefer clip-point or drop-point over the "tanto" design, but this is a pretty good looking knife. For about $110 at Amazon...

Review: Cold Steel’s Recon Tanto San Mai III

Special Preferred Supporter JONESN's Avatar

Re: Cold Steel Recon Tanto San Mai III

Ive never been much on Tanto's but this one is sweet! Maybe a belated fathers day gift.............
    Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OysterMan View Post
    I would usually prefer clip-point or drop-point over the "tanto" design, but this is a pretty good looking knife. For about $110 at Amazon...

Review: Cold Steel’s Recon Tanto San Mai III
    Nice knife and nice article, but what my research over the past 30 years shows is that he has a few of his facs incorrect. I love Lynn Thompson and his knives, but the Americanized Tanto which he makes should be, from what my research has shown me, credited to Bob Lum. The late great Bob Lum was the first knife maker credited with taking the reinforced tip of the katana with the Japanese tanto blade profile.

http://www.boblumknives.com/welcome.html

http://www.benchmade.com/designer-profiles

For a quick reference on traditional Japanese style tantos (which btw I prefer to the modern americanized version)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tant%C5%8D

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Too much of a traditionalist, I just can't get into the Tanto knives. For me, a drop point is the ultimate shape for a knife.

Bill
    WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T SAY?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Too much of a traditionalist, I just can't get into the Tanto knives. For me, a drop point is the ultimate shape for a knife.

Bill
    I have to agree, if you read the sticky about tactical knives above you will see I consider the american tanto along with the upswept sheepskiner style to be among the least useful blade shapes. The Japanese style katana tip has much more useful applications I feel.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

My X2 Voyager blade is VG-1 It has served me well and holds a edge . I just run up and down a steel now and then and razor edge back. I don't know who started the American Tanto in production in 84 . The lower corner makes a nasty snap cut wound .
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !