“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: I know almost NOTHING about knives, but my daughter wants to carry one at UNR

I know almost NOTHING about knives, but my daughter wants to carry one at UNR

I told her I would look into the subject but where do I start??? The last thing we need is our daughter getting in trouble at the University carrying an illegal knife. Thanks

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Re: I know almost NOTHING about knives, but my daughter wants to carry one at UNR

I suggest you do not rely on advice on the 'net for legal info. The knife laws of the state & possible special laws of the university will apply & both should have sites to research.

As for quality, etc. of various knives/manufacturers, we have several members with that kind of knowledge.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Re: I know almost NOTHING about knives, but my daughter wants to carry one at UNR

First check into local knife laws with a lawyer or other local expert, not taking internet "experts" as fact, on what is acceptable blade style, length, opening system etc. Then once you know what you are NOT looking for you can look into what you are. I think choosing one good manufacturer makes the process easier, say Cold Steel or Spyderco. Both have a strong line of many styles. A folder is often the easiest to start with. Choose a good one hand opener with a pocket clip that she can store in an easy to access location ON HER BODY!! One hand opener because she might only have one hand. I like the Cold Steel Hold Outs, light, thin, simple (no added springs or assisted opening systems to fail/break or cause accidental openings) with a nice sharp pointy penetrating blade. They usually come a bit stiff to open (but smooths out with use) but that's fine, make her open and close it hundreds of times, draw it opening and closing until using it becomes rote muscle memory and it becomes a part of her.

Good luck...
    Last edited by lee1959; 09-24-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

You know nothing about knives, and she wants to carry. Now who going to teach her. How to use if needed. Its not as simple as pointy end goes in 1st. Knives are up close personal we going to get bloody If I use personal weapons.
    I would have her rethink this idea if for SD. Drawing and opening a folder Then using is a practice move.

Cold steel has good folders But a push dagger knife is the quickest and easiest to use . Nothing says let go of me or get off like a 1 1/2" blade Cold steel urban pal weights 1 oz under 20 bucks XL 2" just over 20 . This quickest and easy to use get off me knife . Don't use to cut things a dull edge is useless This is a SD weapon not a box cutter.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS4...-kraton-handle
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Second the recommendation for the Cold Steel Urban Pal. I carry a Urban Pal AND a 4" Ti-Lite. Best ready access folder I know. Ditto on the training. Useless without the knowledge to effectively use.

Welcome to our forum

Bill
    WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T SAY?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

This is where looking into knife laws is vital. Here in Michigan a push dagger might be considered illegal if in its name it uses the term dagger, even though it is not double edged. In this case it might be open to interpretation by a local prosecutor, and is a bit iffy for my tastes. A pain in the butt yeah, it could be pushing the intent of the law but still..

"1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00."

In the same way, here in Michigan an assisted opener could possibly be interpreted as illegal, again up to a local prosecutor.

"Pocket knife opened by mechanical device; unlawful sale or possession; persons exempted.

Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not to exceed 1 year or by a fine of not to exceed $300.00, or both.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to any one-armed person carrying a knife on his person in connection with his living requirements."

The Michigan Switchblade Law does not incorporate the “bias toward closure” language, as found in the Federal Switchblade Act and the laws of a number of other states. Accordingly, “assisted opening” knives may be considered to be a pocket knife opened by a mechanical device under Michigan law, and therefore prohibited.

You need to know exactly what is legal, and where they gray areas are in your state which may be open to interpretatioin by local DAs
    Last edited by lee1959; 09-24-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Consider a Kubotan or a dagger instead. No having to fumble trying to open it. Both will require practice to learn how to use it. I carry a Kubotan because knives are restricted where I work. University may be the same. My Kubotan is non-metallic and looks like a pen. Cold Steel makes a great little T-handled dagger. Small and easy to carry as well. Many come with a sheath. Whatever she gets, get her some training too.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    You know nothing about knives, and she wants to carry. Now who going to teach her. How to use if needed. Its not as simple as pointy end goes in 1st. Knives are up close personal we going to get bloody If I use personal weapons.
    I would have her rethink this idea if for SD. Drawing and opening a folder Then using is a practice move.

Cold steel has good folders But a push dagger knife is the quickest and easiest to use . Nothing says let go of me or get off like a 1 1/2" blade Cold steel urban pal weights 1 oz under 20 bucks XL 2" just over 20 . This quickest and easy to use get off me knife . Don't use to cut things a dull edge is useless This is a SD weapon not a box cutter.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS4...-kraton-handle
    Wow, Michael T... at first I thought you were jumping on me then I saw saw some meat in your reply! I don't like knives and she hates guns. That's why I asked the question. I know knives are bloody and I've seen plenty of bloody wrecks and dead bodies driving 18 wheelers for almost 30 years and she has no concept about effectively defending herself, so I thought I would toss the question into the forum and see what popped up. I would prefer her carrying something like a stun device or taser but I hear they aren't allowed, so WTH? My wife carries a pepper sprayer because she works in a "gun free workplace" but we don't know what my daughter can use...

Might one suggest self defense classes as well as other options?

Quote Originally Posted by lee1959 View Post
    Might one suggest self defense classes as well as other options?
    I sense that you're tip toeing a bit... no need, I'm a nice guy, sometimes too nice. But if you jump on me, I will speak up. Your suggestion is a good one and I've had some professional training in Aikido (Akido? I don't remember, it all was 40 years ago ) and belonged to a Judo club as a teen. Your suggestion is a good one, but I don't see her interested enough or disciplined enough to successfully defend herself, she'd rather be "Instagramming" or hangin' with her "buds" than do what would be necessary to learn and use any martial arts.

I'm not really criticizing her too much either, most kids are are as lazy as they can get away with and so was I up to a point , I preferred hangin out in the garage with my Dad working on his 1946 Jeep CJ-2A or my '67 Cougar. I was a "motorhead" not a fighter. My daughter also has a SEVERE limitation that would likely prevent her from overcoming any attacker over 5 feet tall. She is SHORT!! And small, not fat either. I'm short, too but I'm still in the average height range for a male my age and build. She is UNDER 5 feet tall and around 95 lbs. I think martial arts is not her solution, but I do like your suggestion, thanks.

You might not believe it, but Chuck Norris is one of my heros....no...seriously, I watch "Walker, Texas Rangers" every night! I also liked his TV shows because they were ALWAYS clean and the kids could watch them. I even had a "Total Gym" for a while... Chuck could do anything well, but I could do something I'd bet money that he couldn't: I could drive and shift a Road Ranger 13 speed all day as smooth as an automatic in a Cadillac using the clutch only when stopping and starting! Take that, Chuck! HAH!!!
    Last edited by Richard Grayson; 09-24-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Well, if she isn't willing to put in the effort, any kind of defense tool is going to be useless to her. Relying on something she doesn't have the knowledge to use is as bad as not having anything at all.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Ok, find a women survivors of violence support group and have your wife take her to a meeting to listen. Perhaps a reality check will help her at least take some responsibility for her own well being.

A knife can help, but she needs skill as well as simple luck. They can be wickedly effective in the right hands. Impact weapons like flashlights (the 3 AA minimag is good if you can find one they are no longer made) can help, if trained especially. Perhaps the easiest to use is a stun gun type weapon, IF THEY ARE LEGAL, again they only deter so much for a few seconds, not incapacitate. Pepper spray can be effective also.

But, none of this will be of much help without some training, or at least practice with the tool, effective practice. There is a decent book on the subject called Tough Target which my wife liked.

https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Target-.../dp/0788169092

IMO her best "knife" for campus carry is a rat-tail comb. It's legal and can even be carried I her back pocket without fear of it showing. And if she breaks it off in some guys gut she can go the CVS and get a new one.

Girls have been told this for years and they still don't listen.
    Certified Armed Infidel

So far, I think pepper spray and the rat tail comb make sense for her. Thanks, the research will continue though

Preferred Site Supporter bcrtops's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Grayson View Post
    So far, I think pepper spray and the rat tail comb make sense for her. Thanks, the research will continue though
    I remember that back in the very late 50's / early 60's all the "bad" dudes carried a rat tail comb in their back pockets -- even if you had a crew cut! No issue carrying a knife then either. I carried a pocket knife from 1st grade on -- never an issue.
    1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
    2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

Mini Gun

There is yet another option. Tactical Pens. Google is your friend.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SWPE...e-Tactical-Pen

I collect knives, especially bowies. I carry an SOG 4" blade, fast open knife. For self defense on a university campus, I like the idea of the comb combined with a pepper blaster, if legal. The pepper blaster shoots capsules of pepper as far as 15' away at over 90 mph. They cost about $ 40 and have a 4 year shelf life. It is not pepper spray, but much better. I believe they can be found on the Kimber website. Another consideration is a Gerber tactical pen. Made of steel, with a carbide tip, it presents a good self defense weapon, and excellent heavy pen. I carry one, bought it on Amazon.
    Life NRA, GOA, & LEAA. Member KS State Rifle Assn.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Grayson View Post
    I sense that you're tip toeing a bit... no need, I'm a nice guy, sometimes too nice. But if you jump on me, I will speak up. Your suggestion is a good one and I've had some professional training in Aikido (Akido? I don't remember, it all was 40 years ago ) and belonged to a Judo club as a teen. Your suggestion is a good one, but I don't see her interested enough or disciplined enough to successfully defend herself, she'd rather be "Instagramming" or hangin' with her "buds" than do what would be necessary to learn and use any martial arts.

I'm not really criticizing her too much either, most kids are are as lazy as they can get away with and so was I up to a point , I preferred hangin out in the garage with my Dad working on his 1946 Jeep CJ-2A or my '67 Cougar. I was a "motorhead" not a fighter. My daughter also has a SEVERE limitation that would likely prevent her from overcoming any attacker over 5 feet tall. She is SHORT!! And small, not fat either. I'm short, too but I'm still in the average height range for a male my age and build. She is UNDER 5 feet tall and around 95 lbs. I think martial arts is not her solution, but I do like your suggestion, thanks.

You might not believe it, but Chuck Norris is one of my heros....no...seriously, I watch "Walker, Texas Rangers" every night! I also liked his TV shows because they were ALWAYS clean and the kids could watch them. I even had a "Total Gym" for a while... Chuck could do anything well, but I could do something I'd bet money that he couldn't: I could drive and shift a Road Ranger 13 speed all day as smooth as an automatic in a Cadillac using the clutch only when stopping and starting! Take that, Chuck! HAH!!!
    I am right at 5 foot, female and almost 50. I took martial arts for several years as an adult. I partnered with a man 6 foot 8. One time he got me mad and i managed to kick him in the head. Dont think she can not protect herself against an assailant because of ber size. Now i am older but know i would fully surprise anyone attacking me. Depends on where i am as to if i carry my gun knife or at work mace. Firzt thing first is i have to know i dont pause and lose my weapon.
    Certified Armed infidel!!