“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Thoughts on shoulder holsters.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Thoughts on shoulder holsters.

I'm looking for your input on shoulder holsters. Not necessarily what brand to buy but pros and cons, what features to look for and which ones to avoid. Thinking pretty hard about trying one for the 1911 or K frame S&W.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."
    Certified Armed Infidel

Re: Thoughts on shoulder holsters.

I like a shoulder holster for crrying big guns or if you have to spend a lot of your time sitting.
    Retired and hunkering in.

Special Preferred Supporter JONESN's Avatar

In Kirkland (I lived in Wenatchee waaaay back when) you would need a large over garment all the time to hide it. That is unless your gonna go open carry. And it can be kinda cool weathered on the west side of the Cascades from what I remember about the Seattle Metro area.
    Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Quote Originally Posted by JONESN View Post
    In Kirkland (I lived in Wenatchee waaaay back when) you would need a large over garment all the time to hide it. That is unless your gonna go open carry. And it can be kinda cool weathered on the west side of the Cascades from what I remember about the Seattle Metro area.
    Here's my thought, and it may pan out to be a bad thought. I'm a big guy. I wear a lot of Hawaiian shirts, guayaberas and bowling shirts. I always wear an undershirt. I can conceal a Desert Eagle owb if I needed to, it's just not ideal. I do sit a lot at my desk, I'm also in and out of cars a lot, also riding the bike I end up open carrying, I get some funny looks from other drivers, lol. I'm thinking a shoulder rig worn under my outer shirt might be just the ticket. A fake button and a Velcro dot or a snap on the front would give me access.
    Open carrying in Utah was no big deal, I'm actually a big proponent. Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland? Not so much and I'm not as confrontational as I once was.

Certified Armed Infidel

Official Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

No personal experience with them, but I met the owner of a gun shop/shooting range when it was being built & he carried 2 1911s in shoulder holsters. They didn't hug his side & flopped side to side as he walked. I didn't ask him about them, but looked extremely uncomfortable to me. I guess lack of comfort is the majority of complaints I have read about them, from users. If they had a strap across the front to stabilize them, would be better, but if you want to conceal, that'd be a dead giveaway.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    I didn't ask him about them, but looked extremely uncomfortable to me. I guess lack of comfort is the majority of complaints I have read about them, from users.
    Comfort is the number one reason I'm thinking about it. If it's terribly uncomfortable, it's out.

Certified Armed Infidel

I'm a big guy myself and I used to wear one. A $20 Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. The package said it was "The Most Comfortable Shoulder Holster Ever Made" or something like that. It sucked. Just plain uncomfortable. I never got around to getting a different one but I did talk to a guy that knows about them. He owns a guns and gear store that caters to the cops and firemen here. His shoulder holsters were a different design and a lot more expensive. $65 and up but they did LOOK more comfortable. He told me that you shouldn't even realize it's there. My actual personal experience was just with a cheap one but I would have tried a more expensive one if I could have afforded it. The only advice I can give is to stay away from the cheapys. I eventually went with a fobus paddle holster. I love it. I just wear long shirts or an unbuttoned button up shirt over my other shirt if I'm tucking in my inner shirt. Hope this helps.
    I may have to grow up but I'm not growing old without a fight.

In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see 'em.

Short Timer
    VIP Site Supporter

I have them for my 1911 and my S&W 629 44mag. I did buy better ones on a friends advice since he had tried the cheap route. You can get tie downs that attach to belt to stop the flopping around. I got those and the holsters stay put.
    I like them in the cooler weather and wear a vest over the top.
    Certified Armed Infidel!
    NRA Life Benefactor Member
    Help Protect Your Rights, Join the NRA today!
    Thunder 380 DuoTone & Matte

VIP Site Benefactor Ponsonby Britt, O.B.E.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    I'm looking for your input on shoulder holsters. Not necessarily what brand to buy but pros and cons, what features to look for and which ones to avoid. Thinking pretty hard about trying one for the 1911 or K frame S&W.

I have a "Major Brand" for my 1911 and two mags. Best advice that I can give is don't go cheap and do get the side tie downs. The one on the mag side keeps the weapon side from pulling down, and the weapon side keeps the weapon from swinging out.

Could also go with a "Tanker Holster"
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. -William Pitt (1759-1806)

Slingshot

I bought a Triple K shoulder holster kit which included the double mag holster from Sportsman's Guide (line below) for my C&W M&P 9c for about 1/3 the price because it was sold as a Sportsman's Guide holster. It took a lot of research because they don't link a model number to a particular gun. In my case, I had to find a gun close to the size I needed which was the SIG P220. It was worth it in the long run. The leather is top quality, extremely hard and stiff. I had to use leather conditioner and then wrap my pistol in Walmart bags to make them slick and then slide into the holster to stretch it. I had to do the same thing with the double-stack mags. The shoulder straps are soft and didn't need any treatment but I soaked them in leather conditioner to prevent any spotting in the future.

Now for the bad news: I have no idea what size or model fits the Bersa and I'm still looking:
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-set?a=1758009

Preferred Site Supporter Rev_Les's Avatar

I don' know what kind he had, but a buddy of mine used to wear one on planes. He could be drawn and ready in the blink of an eye. I'd imagine he still uses one for normal carry, not sure what he wears for work related carry. ( DHS)

Matchlock

The one thing I'd be careful about with a shoulder holster is to make sure the design doesn't cause the muzzle of the gun to sweep people behind you. That's my one concern about shoulder holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by NWShooter View Post
    The one thing I'd be careful about with a shoulder holster is to make sure the design doesn't cause the muzzle of the gun to sweep people behind you. That's my one concern about shoulder holsters.
    I always carry concealed using an open cover shirt, so I don't see a problem.

After a lot of questions on various forums, I've decided to go the shoulder holter route. Haven't gotten it yet, but will give a review when I get it. Between arthritis in both of my wrists and my shoulders and some carpal tunnel damage, I've gotten to the point that I am having serious issues with being able to draw either of my EDCs from an OWB. I'm also a member of our Church security team and sit in a location where having a shoulder holster will enhance my ability to reach my EDC while sitting in a pew. I went with a Nelson Shoulder Holster (http://www.nelsonholsters.com/ ) as I used him for my previous OWB holster for the BT 380. I've had a couple of custom holsters for the 380 but his is the heaviest grade of leather I've seen. The last previous custom one did not survive the humidity of the SE coastal plains of Texas. Even though I've used the Nelson for close to a year, I can still turn the holster upside down and it retains the gun.
    ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired (Aka-9UC)
    "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
    Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

Slingshot

For those of you who are interested in a high quality leather shoulder holster with a double magazine pouch to keep the set balanced, along with belt tie-downs at a very reasonable price, I found this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tagua-SH4-1...IAAOSwWLBaQ~8K

For some reason, the seller says this does not fit the Bersa Thunder 380. I communicated with him on this and he offered me a discount to test the size since he did not actually have a Bersa Thunder 380 or duplicate of one. I just got it in the mail (extremely fast shipping) and it fits perfectly. I told him this and he may edit his comment. Anyway, I am extremely happy with it.

Also, I had a Fobus paddle holster what locked my BT380 in it and no matter what I did, it would not release it. I finally had to destroy the holster to extract the pistol. I've had a bunch of these Fobus paddle holsters and never had a problem with any of the others. I like their paddle magazine pouches.