“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: FUN THINGS TO DO WITH SILVER

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

FUN THINGS TO DO WITH SILVER

Edited by TuxAir. This thread was originally a Karma thread. Thanks Bill! It is now moved to the Tutorials section minus the Karma entry posts.

Well Look at what I went and found. Some fodder for my next show and tell. Who knows what you can do with pure silver which is in the form of silver rounds say, like this example: Ain't they purdy?

DSC00232.jpgDSC00233.jpgDSC00236.jpg
    Last edited by TuxAir; 06-19-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T SAY?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Re: FUN THINGS TO DO WITH SILVER

Seeing as how this was such a pretty thang, I started wondering how I could alter it so I could wear it. If I put a hole in it, I might be able to hang it on a chain and wear it. But that just didn't seem to make it cause it was a whole ounce and would be heavy on my neck. Oh, what to do. Well, I determined I might as well punch a hole so I could see what else might be interesting to do so I heated it up in the propane torch's flame until the flame turned orange and, well, just look:

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00241.jpg took down my old punch and die and inserted the coin:

DSC00242.jpg Funny, it fit like the punch had been made for it. A 1/2 inch punch seems like the way to go and rendered this:

DSC00248.jpgYou know what, that put a big ol' hole the size of a children's kindergarten pencil right in the middle of that shiney flat coin. WOW.

DSC00250.jpgSay, you see that cone shaped piece of stainless steel sitting to the right of that coin being held in a 17o ​die? I wonder what would happen if I poked that in the hole we just punched and then put it under the 1 ton arbor press and pushed down on it? What say we try, eh?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

You know, annealing silver, brass, copper and non-ferrous metals renders them very soft and malleable. As a result, you can reshape metal objects with very little effort. Such as::::

DSC00251.jpgThis is getting interesting, might we be able to shape something other than a necklace this way? How about having another go at It, shall we?

DSC00244.jpga picture of some dies and pushers made by Jason of JasonsWorks@etsy.com

These dies are a very shallow angle and allow the coin with a hole in it to be pushed through and become, well just watch.

DSC00258.jpgHard to see, but through a manipulation of 3 different pushers and the 1 ton arbor press, we now produce:

DSC00259.jpgA ring of silver with the detail that was originally on the face of the coin distributed around the periphery of the ring. In fact this is so much fun my grandson has spent quite a bit of time in my man cave making coin rings from quarters, half dollars and copper rounds. I wear a ring made from a Morgan Silver Dollar dated 1890.

Here's the results of our little exercise tonight:

DSC00286.jpgThe contrast is due to an artificial patina applied before polishing so the individual lettering and the detail can be enhanced.

DSC00277.jpgDSC00270.jpg

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

You know what, Here I have made a rather patriotic ring which embodies the feelings we in this forum have for our country and our constitution and it occurs to me that I already have a ring and can't wear but one at a time. My grandson has made himself one for every finger and for his sisters also. What should I do with this one? Right now it is a size 10 but I can size it down to an 8 or up to a 13. What say we throw it open to the group and offer it up as a KARMA with the winner being announced in one week on the 17th.

All you have to do to enter is type "I would like to have a Silver Coin Ring (insert your ring size) from R.Ph. 380".

Ready, GO................................................ .........

This KARMA approved by RC

Edited by TuxAir. This thread was originally a Karma thread. Thanks Bill! It is now moved to the Tutorials section minus the Karma entry posts.
    Last edited by TuxAir; 06-19-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Moved to Tutorials

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Once again, Bill has proven he has the coolest retirement toys! I am in awe of your skills of making metal things into other metal things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TuxAir; 06-19-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Moved to Tutorials
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."
    Certified Armed Infidel

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    Once again, Bill has proven he has the coolest retirement toys! I am in awe of your skills of making metal things into other metal things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I started gathering my "would like to do" toys back in 2010 when I decided to retire at 70. I figured that at 70 I would have about 15 years of fun things until it came time to pass everything down. I'm now in my "Enjoyment Years"................................
    Last edited by TuxAir; 06-19-2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Moved to Tutorials

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Hey there, just checked this out. I have several silver bullion pieces that are now not safe. My Air Force coin is brass, so it stays as my poker marker. We need to hook up at a local gun show soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Walk a mile in my shoes, and you will be at the range.