“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: New Bersa Thunder 380 Duo-Tone

Rock

New Bersa Thunder 380 Duo-Tone

Since starting to acquire pistols in the 1980s, I must have nearly 50 pistols in the safe, ranging from 22s to a Jim Clark built 1911 "bullseye gun". All but two examples are 22s, 9mms or 45s. My pistols are mainly German, Austrian and Italian; maybe I am a snob?? Anyway, since I read about the Bersa Thunder sometime in the 1990s it has appealed to me. I didn't get one however, as I didn't think an inexpensive 380 belonged in my collection. But over the years I have come close to acquiring one several times; but resisted until a week ago!

I picked mine up from the FFL at the range yesterday, and did an inspection. The pistol was pretty clean and not packed in heavy oil which was a welcome surprise. I ran a couple of patches down the barrel, quickly wiped the slide and rails, then applied some CLP to the the rails and other areas I suspected might need it....and went shooting. I fired about 125 rounds yesterday of MaxxTech FMJ, American Eagle FMJ and lastly about 20 rounds of Freedom Munitions remanufactured with the Hornady XTP bullet. The only hiccup I had was one failure to feed of American Eagle at about round count 75. I am VERY impressed with this pistol! Very, very fun to shoot! I also found its POI was right on the POA at 7 yards with the stock sights and a "combat" hold (covering up the POI with the front sight). BTW, along with the OEM Bersa magazine I used two Mec-Gar "nickel" 8 round magazines. All functioned 100% except as noted with the American Eagle.

Now I just need to find a good supply of inexpensive fodder for this little guy. I don't plan to carry it as I have plenty 0f 9s and 45s for that, and one Ruger LCP 380 when I need something smaller. But as a range pistol I am very impressed with something that cost under $250.

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Re: New Bersa Thunder 380 Duo-Tone

Welcome, PaperSniper, from across the wide Vol state. Sooner or later curiosity will get 'ya. We're happy that you're happy with the BT 380. And, we'd like to hear more about your international stash. Lots of folks here with lots of interests.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State.. ....................... of mind .......

Welcome to Bersa Chat PaperSniper,

Thanks for the glowing report. The Mec-Gar 8 rnd mags have proven to be the only aftermarket mags that are consistently reliable. My Thunder 380s will eat anything I feed them however some have reported some difficulty with Winchester White Box 380 because of the blunt tip.

Lots of good information and friendly folks here so glad to have you aboard.

regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Welcome to Bersa Chat PaperSniper.Lots of folks are finding out that quality doesn't necessarily mean expensive.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    Welcome to Bersa Chat PaperSniper.Lots of folks are finding out that quality doesn't necessarily mean expensive.
    On the Mec-Gars, I had heard the ProMags were okay also from a few sources. Heard some negatives on them also, but then I've heard negatives on Mec-Gars too. I've owned several examples of both in various firearms, and most functioned fine. I have found that the major difference in the two companies is cosmetic.....but the difference in price is generally only a few bucks so I go with the "prettier" Mec-Gars. Call me vain.

Not much to tell about the international collection in my safe......they are the usual players, nothing too exotic. I started with DA/SA pistols, then when I was an LEO in the 90s we were issues Beretta Centurian DAO - I was not happy withe the DAO at all, but among other DAOs at the time it was decent. However, my department discovered striker pistols a few years later, and we went through a couple of examples until we settled on the H&K USP 40 around 2004. (With all that "trying out" we figured the department had more money than smarts!) anyway, that was my introduction to H&K which lead to CZ, FN, Glock, Beretta, Sig, Walther and a couple of lesser know pistols.....mostly striker fired. Then about a year ago I started another DA/SA phase, but this time it's decocker models like the CZ P07 and FN FNP 45acp. I have since sold some of the striker powered pistols, including some Kahrs (nice, but many have issues), and all but one Glock. My typical carry is an H&K P30 SK v1.

Slingshot

Cheapest target rounds I've found for mine are Perfecta from Walmart. The only problem is that they are priced so low, those in the know buy them up the day they are stocked....burns me up. Anyway, I've shot 1000's of these in .380 ACP and 9mm and I have never had a problem with them.

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by boomerguy View Post
    Cheapest target rounds I've found for mine are Perfecta from Walmart. The only problem is that they are priced so low, those in the know buy them up the day they are stocked....burns me up. Anyway, I've shot 1000's of these in .380 ACP and 9mm and I have never had a problem with them.
    I have used Perfecta before in 9mm and 223 cal, it's decent stuff, and the price as you noted is excellent. Someone told me it's made by Fiocchi, with which I have have consistently good results. But then I heard the Monarch brass ammo sold at Academy Sports is also made by Fiocchi. Not tried any of that, but I have one box of 40 S&W in the ammo closet.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Quote Originally Posted by PaperSniper View Post
    But then I heard the Monarch brass ammo sold at Academy Sports is also made by Fiocchi. Not tried any of that, but I have one box of 40 S&W in the ammo closet.
    Monarch brass ammo sold at Academy Sports is made by Prvi Partizan in Serbia according to the boxes I have.

Certified Armed Infidel

Slingshot

Update on Perfecta from Walmart: I asked the guy at the gun counter at Walmart when the next shipment of Perfecta comes in because I hadn't seen any for a long time. He said that Walmart doesn't sell it anymore. He didn't know the reason. He also said that he had never heard a complaint from anyone about it and they couldn't keep it on the shelf because it sold so fast. Oh well....

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

When they started selling .380 at $5, kinda figured they were closing it out.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Mini Gun

My Wal-Mart sporting goods manager told me that "Cheaper-Than-Dirt bought up the sales distributorship of Perfecta." I don't have any verification or way of knowing whether or not that is true or not.

Slingshot
    Spotsylvania, VA (2 miles from Chancellorsville)

I use PMC Bronze, ordered on-line. Works well for me so I will continue with that, or PPU. In the thousand rounds or so shot through my BT380 Combat, have never had a problem at all. It is my CC pistol and I am perfectly happy with it and the ammo. And it is a joy to shoot! Wearing it now in my back pocket!

OP: give it a chance, and give Eagle a chance to make it well!

Rock

Took my new BT 380 to the range for the second time yesterday. I've had it about a month, and now fired a little over 200 rounds through it. It has functioned fine with MaxxTech, Browning, American Eagle and Freedom Munitions (with the XTP bullet)....Rats; with one nasty problem yesterday. The decocker/safety is stuck about 25% of the way down, into the decock position. The pistol works 100% as a single action, but I cannot decock or put on safety. My BT 380 will be a range only pistol, so that's not a huge deal, but obviously on a new pistol under warranty, I want it fixed. The decocker/safety was stiff the first time I shot it, but it was workable. Now it's locked in its current position.

I will clean the pistol today and look for anything obvious that I can fix, then contact Bersa Eagle Imports.

Doug

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Eagle Imports will probably refer you to a warranty center
    Look here for warranty center information or give Wolfgang a call (ad at the top of this page)

Certified Armed Infidel

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by pollyb View Post
    Eagle Imports will probably refer you to a warranty center
    Look here for warranty center information or give Wolfgang a call (ad at the top of this page)
    Thanks. I sent him an email yesterday. If I don't hear from him in another few days I will have to call. His web site recommends emailing over calling, so I'll try that route. I do have the Bersa all boxed up ready to go. When I cleaned it yesterday I did not notice anything that looked like a simple cause for the decocker/safety problem.

Wolfgang fixed my BT 380 in 2015 or 16 can't remember exactly. Works great ever since. He also called me when he had it, he spotted another thing wrong and fixed that too. Really likes his speed and service. I had a broken spring. The one anchored inside the right grip
    Certified Armed Infidel

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Wolfgang fixed my BT 380 in 2015 or 16 can't remember exactly. Works great ever since. He also called me when he had it, he spotted another thing wrong and fixed that too. Really likes his speed and service. I had a broken spring. The one anchored inside the right grip
    Yes, he has been very responsive and helpful in his emails. My Bersa went to him yesterday. Now I have to fax the shipping bill to Bersa Eagle for my refund.

Slingshot

Quote Originally Posted by FakeBersaName View Post
    My Wal-Mart sporting goods manager told me that "Cheaper-Than-Dirt bought up the sales distributorship of Perfecta." I don't have any verification or way of knowing whether or not that is true or not.
    I've spotted the Perfecta ammo on a few online sites at really good prices. Since I've had excellent results at the range with these (clean and never fail) I will continue to buy them. I guess Walmart couldn't negotiate a good enough price to stock them. I would rather buy them from a local gun shop to help out the small business owner but they don't stock them.
    I do buy my Hornady Critical Defense JHP ammo from the LGS to help support them and also to stay on their good side for the day I want to negotiate a good price on a used gun.