“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Browning Hi Power Production Ends

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Browning Hi Power Production Ends

I was once an owner of this iconic all-metal pistol during its Belgian heyday. It's now belongs to the ages, a victim of lower-priced competitor accessory overload. I have to admit it would be hard going back to its spartan features, such as fixed sights, but it did give me a lot of bang for its many bucks.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...oduction-ends/
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Special Preferred Supporter JONESN's Avatar

Re: Browning Hi Power Production Ends

Always had a hankering for 1 of those but never got one. Heard so much good stuff about them.........
    Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

You can always pick up a CZ-75 or its clone. They are considered the next step in Hi-Power evolution. The clones can be found for $350 new.

Special Preferred Supporter JONESN's Avatar

Have 3 CZ 75 variants now and love them
    Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

I have a Pre-B CZ-75. Cock and Locked version. Love that pistol. But I still want a Hi Power.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Machine Gun

i had a feeling, guess i grabbed mine at the right time just a few months ago. 1971 production IIRC it came with a Hogue grip otherwise looks un-dickered. it has the 'bulge ramp' barrel in it, i found a set or 'Red' grips though maybe not technically correct for my production date they're a lot more correct than a rubber wrap-around. package deal with the grips i also got an extended mag, vintage not new junk but it's still out of place on a sweet Hi-power

that reminds me i'd like to find an era correct Browning rug for it too

Slingshot

Quote Originally Posted by gun sane View Post
    I was once an owner of this iconic all-metal pistol during its Belgian heyday. It's now belongs to the ages, a victim of lower-priced competitor accessory overload. I have to admit it would be hard going back to its spartan features, such as fixed sights, but it did give me a lot of bang for its many bucks.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...oduction-ends/
    ================================================== =========================

Too bad, that is one of the best Pistols ever made, used by many Military's, the OSS, CIA, SAS, Special Forces, etc. I have owned 4 of them. I think the cheapest New Military Hi-Power I bought was $350 and the most I paid for the nice Blued one with Adjustable Sights was $650. I Still have it. With the World Population almost doubling from 4 Billion in the early 70's to 8 Billion today 2018, I find it very hard to believe they couldn't compete in the World Market. Many of these Companies are Pricing themselves right out of the Market with their Corporate Greed. Metals used to produce them haven't gone up much in 40+ years and neither has Employees Wages, only Corporate Top Level Peoples Wages have Increased from 400-900+%. With CNC machines, Robots, etc., they are able to Produce More guns even faster, so Poor Marketing and Corporate Greed is the biggest problem.

I paid $50 for an AR15 Reciever 20+ years ago, and you can still buy one today for $75. I could buy a New AR15 kit for $350 plus a $50 Reciever to make a complete $400 gun. The Military was getting them for I think I read $369 built and Colt was making money! Just a couple of weeks ago I was at the gun show and there were some plain New AR15's for $450. I think the most I ever spent on a New AR15 was a Colt at $1050. It's just too bad we have too many desk jockeys deciding what People in the field get to carry who do large Volume Sales like for the Police and Military. Personally, I have never seen a Police officer ever carrying a Browning Hi-Power. Seems like they went from 38/357 Revolvers to Glocks or Sigs overnight.

All Types of Guns, Pistols, Rifles, SMG's, etc., have the same Average Number of parts made from either Steel, Aluminium, and Plastics. Most Companies buy their Screws, Springs, Pins, from Vendors. Some even buy their Sights, Barrels, etc., from vendors. Like my last Hi-Power came with Millet Adjustable Sights.

In the Real World, if you can't hit what your Shooting at, it doesn't really matter what you're using! There is so much False Hype out on both Guns & Ammo today!

Almost all Military Pistols used Fixed Sights and were Single Action for many many years. The motto was, Keep it Simple & Cheap, You don't have Time to Think and use those Nice Adjustable Sights with Hordes of Soldiers rushing your position shooting at you. What was that Robbery years ago in I think LA, with the Bank Robbers carrying Assault Rifles and wearing Vest and most of the Police, only had Pistols and they outnumbered the Robbers probably 10-1? Probably most using Glocks. Robbers Heads, Arms, and Legs waist down weren't covered by a Vest. Many Police Officers/FBI were wounded and killed that day.

So was it the Fixed Sights vs Adjustable Sights, Single Action vs Double Action, 13rd vs 21 rd, 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP, vs 10mm, etc., or just Not being able to Hit what they were Shooting at, some under fire? I wonder how many of them Officers really practiced shooting from a laying down position on the ground, Shooting under a car, crouching on a knee behind a car or behind a car door, or even shooting at a moving target?

Weight Empty 2 lbs. What does 2 lbs of 4140 Steel Cost today? MRSP was $1,070 posted in Feb of 2014.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/16/hipower/

Just My Opinion.