ďMaking ďWolfgang

Thread: Slide getting stuck when safety engaged

Slide getting stuck when safety engaged

Please forgive me for I am completely new but have been searching for quite some time and accepted it may just be a part of the guns functioning but now after watching videos again I know itís not.

The issue: when the safety is engaged and I rack the weapon but donít let go of slide fast, it gets stuck with approximately a centimeter of barrel showing and then either I have to rack the slide again fast and itíll go fully forward or pull the slide forward rest of way over whatever itís hitched on.

Any advice or is this normal due to the lack of full momentum of slide

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Re: Slide getting stuck when safety engaged

It's pretty normal. I'm assuming we're talking about a BT380? It will loosen up with use if it's new. The disconnector plunger and the decocker are probably still a little stiff.
    Also, there's no good reason to not let the slide fly into battery. That's it's normal, riding it down slow is not.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."
    Certified Armed Infidel

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Welcome to Bersa Chat Bng005. Main concern would be how it operates at the range. You can't manually operate the slide as fast or with as much force as when shooting it. When you chamber that first round, just be sure you pull the slide all the way back & let it go. As PHM says, not good to do this without a round to be chambered. 'Course, won't hurt to clean & lube it again, just in case you missed some of that goo that that comes on them. It is not a lubricant. Also make sure the recoil spring is on the correct way so it doesn't bind on itself. Small end goes on first, toward the breech & the cut at the other end goes at 12:00.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Machine Gun

I've just been doing a bit of function testing here and found that the slide does not like to go rearward w/o the trigger being depressed. the magazine safety is also a PITA. for test cycling purposes I removed the magazine base plate and the spring & follower so I could use the magazine body to trip the mag safety w/o engaging the slide stop every time I cycle the action to reset the trigger. you may need to replace the mag base onto the mag body for a single stack i'm not sure, I was working on a Plus model.

in normal operation the trigger is depressed when the slide goes back. there's a little doohickey guy that rides along the bottom edge of the slide, when the trigger is depressed there's less or no pressure from the disconnector riding the slide so the slide moves much nicer. at first during function testing I was getting confused by the fire control mech binding & acting wonky until I made a point to emulate normal operation. with my gutted test mag in place to trip the internal mag safety, simulating a loaded magazine that won't stop the slide from traveling forward, rack the slide as if to strip a 'virtual' round from the magazine and load the chamber. now if you were to pull the trigger and dry fire (snap caps in a functional mag are an option, or ease the hammer forward with your thumb) the hammer will fall ... HOLD THE TRIGGER DEPRESSED UNTIL YOU MANUALLY CYCLE THE SLIDE !

now let the trigger travel forward until you feel the trigger reset. the action is in the single action mode and ready to fire the 2nd virtual shot. take the shot and hold the trigger depressed again until you manually cycle the slide simulating normal operation. ease the trigger forward for the reset. decock if you like, or manually thumb the hammer down by holding the hammer with your thumb, pulling the trigger and easing the hammer to rest. practice safe handling by pointing the muzzle in a safe direction, believe it or not that's all they had not all that long ago

but anyway IMO the mechanism just doesn't like running the slide forward with the trigger not depressed. I have a strong feeling that the basket case project I picked up recently is a victim of 'other than normal' operation TV time dry firing / cycling and the fire control either got boloxed up or the previous owner tried to correct the wonky behavior himself. I replaced a bunch of parts and the mechanism functions happily while simulating normal operation

no not all guns act this way but these do

All good tips. Point is this: Do NOT ride the slide into battery.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Perhaps I read this wrong?....but my question would be .....'what is the reason for engaging the safety before racking the slide? Mine does this also if I engage the safety before I rack the slide.
    I just do not understand why anyone would "need" to engage the safety before racking the slide. If its to load in a safe manner?.... just load it and hit the de-cocker.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Thank you everyone! I definitely see where each of your advices come from and realized my true issue was riding the slide which I didn’t initially realize was an issue when I wasn’t loading a round into the chamber but it’s definitely the cause.

Thank you again