“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Army Not Having a Ball with New Sig Pistol

Moderator of the Year
    Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Army Not Having a Ball with New Sig Pistol

Ball ammo is playing hob with the M17 and M18 pistols, such as reliability snafus and live ammo ejections. Even the pistol itself has made loud bangs when dropped. Non-standard hollow-point ammo is the temporary fix, but the pucker factor goes up when shooting at bad guys through barriers and windshields. And then there's those pesky Hague Convention snowflakes.....

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...egular-bullets
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Official Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Re: Army Not Having a Ball with New Sig Pistol

With recent news of goings on within the "new" army, I wonder if they failed to clean & lube before the 1st range trip.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Mini Gun

replay of the last service pistol trials & contract, i forget what the 2nd up pistol was but suspicions were that the final decision had more to do with politics and keeping the base in Italy open than performance. as mentioned in the article the Sig entry displayed major issues all the way through testing

Seems every new service weapon has teething troubles.
    Certified Armed Infidel
    كافر

Mini Gun

The article gunsane linked above says these pistols have fired when dropped. I don't understand HOW that can happen in this day and age of Firing Pin Blocks. I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of Sigs, but this should disqualify the pistol completely. None of my Striker-fired or hammer-fired pistols can fire if dropped. This seems to be a really FUBAR situation that I never dreamed could exist with a pistol made today--especially for military service. A bunch of folks made serious errors in judgment to let it get this far.

Mini Gun

apparently it's 'trigger inertia' causing the P320's to fire when dropped on the heel of the slide, not a standard test (WTF not?)

firing pin block doesn't do anything if the trigger thinks it's been pulled?

wouldn't be the first time a contract got cancelled

M-1 Garand, M14, M16 all had issues too. The army can work around the issue, but why should they need to?

It is common for the military to adopt a gun and then make changes to the original design. As such, the redesigns are field tested by the military. If there are any issues with the changes, then their experts and the manufacturer's experts go back to the drawing board. As I see it, this is business as usual, the military and Sig are working together to get it "just right".

Baretta had issues at first and they were resolved with the M9 serving admirably afterwards. Even the 1911 was modified some after adoption and later again modified more to become the 1911-A1.

By the way, the drop issue involved commercial pistols which has been resolved by basically using the same design of the fire control unit as in the military pistols.

The recent pistol contract included using new ammo with different specs than had previously been used. So if they are testing a new load on a new pistol, then no one should be surprised there may be a few problems at the start.

I'm sure they will get is sorted out, but I do have to agree with some of the above posts. It does not seem to be a problem with so many other pistol designs out there, so why this one? They should have went with the S&W M&P's....I own a few, and they are excellent. JMHO.

...so why this one? ....
    Because Sig Sauer got the contract. In this most recent bid for a new pistol the military was mot looking for just another pistol they wanted innovation not seen before, like having a modular design, which the M&P did not provide. Even if Glock had won the bid, we would have seen the same kind of issues. The FBI had Glock go back to the drawing board in their last contract.

Remember, these are contracts with the government and the military. That's always going to be messy. Ask any gov't contractor in any business or industry, they'll agree!

Slingshot

Just proves Tim Allen's adage, "If it ain't broke, you can fix it till it is!" Gov't agencies have a talent for taking perfectly functioning materiel and turning it into overpriced paperweights because of some perceived requirements that turned out to be totally irrelevant and unnecessary.