“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Texas CCL

Texas CCL

So wife and I took our CCL course now waiting time.

Re: Texas CCL

how long is the wait taing?

Official Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Mine took about 5 weeks, three years ago. But I've heard it has improved some.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Good Deal & Congrats, Mailman2000!

Yep, the waiting. It should be faster since the gun rush is almost over. I got mine in 14 days here in NC.
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

ok thanks

VIP Site Supporter Americangirl01's Avatar

There was a backlog at DPS for quite some time before and after the Presidential Election. The backlog seemed to clear up about a year ago. Generally, I think you should get you permit within 60 days of the date that DPS receives all of your paperwork. When I got mine, once they received the packet, they mailed me an acknowledgement that the packet was received and a PIN. You can then log on to the DPS web site using your DL# and pin to check the status of your application. The only three status that I am aware of are Application Received, Processing and License Issued. Processing takes the longest if they receive all of the materials correctly in the application. If you have any questions, the people that work in the CHL division are top notch in customer service, imo.....I both called and emailed with questions which were answered courteously and promptly. Good luck to you and your wife.
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Congratulations on completing the course and submitting your application. In the meantime, become fully informed on the rule for concealed carry in Texas. There is an excellent site with thousands of posts and threads called http://www.texaschlforum.com Highly recommended for many reasons.

About 4 months ago my CHL arrived in less than 5 weeks from shipping to DPS a complete application and all attachments. That is the key to waiting time - complete and with all applications as required.
    Last edited by Txlaw1; 09-22-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36 Also, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed" Luke 11:21

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Start packing around house . Get used to the pistol on you body . This way you won't be doing the touchy thing when out in public first few times. Remember when you look in a mirror you know where gun is so you will think its showing . People in world are blind. They don't see any thing , their to wrapped in the own little world. As a CC holder and carrier you must be aware of your surrounding. at all times. In other words pull you head out of cell phones and other needless toys . Look at the world
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Official Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Good advice from MT. I remember when I first started carrying, I was very self concious about it. In Texas, it MUST remain concealed. As MT says, a slight 'bulge' will not mean anything to anyone except someone specifically looking for those kind of signs (police, etc.), but you must be aware of movements which may cause your cover garment to 'uncover'. When we are out & about, my wife helps me by keeping an eye on me as I bend down or reach up to take an item off the grocery shelf, etc. This is especially a problem in cold weather because some of my jackets are rather 'short waisted' & ride up when I bend over or reach up. I've learned to 'squat down' to retrieve items off the lower shelves, etc.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

You do know there's a site you can visit to check the status of your license applications? https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/txapp/txdps/chl/ , you'd probably select the "Returning Users" prompt with your identification info, then you'll get a screen showing the progress -- it'll probably say "Application Received" most of the time. Once it starts processing, figure a week to 10 days to complete, then a few days to get mailed to you.

VIP Site Supporter

Search for CHL Texas forum - they have a "waiting room" thread for each month you might have applied.

Mine took 37 days since I mailed the doc to show up in my mailbox.

Also, you can see your application status online. It is the same web page where you apply for it online.

I was looking through this older post and noticed that Americangirl01's statement needs some clarification. My missus just went through the process. You no longer get a PIN with the acknowlegement letter sent out from DPS. You can check your status online using your Drivers License (or state ID), SSN and DOB at https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/txapp/txdps/chl/ - It appears you can apply online at this page as well. Just click the "LOG IN" button...

Quote Originally Posted by Americangirl01 View Post
    There was a backlog at DPS for quite some time before and after the Presidential Election. The backlog seemed to clear up about a year ago. Generally, I think you should get you permit within 60 days of the date that DPS receives all of your paperwork. When I got mine, once they received the packet, they mailed me an acknowledgement that the packet was received and a PIN. You can then log on to the DPS web site using your DL# and pin to check the status of your application. The only three status that I am aware of are Application Received, Processing and License Issued. Processing takes the longest if they receive all of the materials correctly in the application. If you have any questions, the people that work in the CHL division are top notch in customer service, imo.....I both called and emailed with questions which were answered courteously and promptly. Good luck to you and your wife.
    wiredgeorge
    Mico TX