Universal ccw reciprocity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal ccw reciprocity

Trump promised Universal ccw reciprocity. As I understand, it has to be done by Congress which could take years the way they do things. Anyone know if anything is being done about it? .
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Re: Universal ccw reciprocity

It's been in the mill for a few years. With Trump as president it has a chance of becoming law. Expect the dems in the senate to try to filibuster it when it gets to them. With the help of a couple of RINOs they may be able to kill it.
    I'm a little concerned about the feds getting involved in a state mater. It opens the door to having fed qualifications.
    If it does become law, I wouldn't carry in the blue states til someone has pushed it through the court system. I don't want to be a test case stuck in a NY jail. They have vowed to fight it.

By the way it has already been introduced in the house. I don't have time to look up the actual bill right now.
    Sorry looks back.
    Worry looks around.
    Faith looks up.

Comment

It's not only going to be the dems in congress, but the states. States like New York, Illinois, California, etc with strict requirements for getting a carry license, will object to honoring licenses from states with lower requirements. Some states only require a back ground check & small fee & they will object to doing more. Then what about the states with constitutional carry? We're opening up a can of worms to get the feds involved.

Texas has reduced the fee from $140 for 5 years to $70 & for seniors, from $70 to $35. Bill is in the works for constitutional carry. I don't want Trump or anyone else messing that up.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I agree about getting Feds involved. But if there is going to be one it has to be via Congress. And Congress can screw up lunch.
        I found this: http://freebeacon.com/issues/nationa...next-congress/
        Last edited by ParaCav; 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM.
        TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Comment

Originally posted by ParaCav View Post
          I agree about getting Feds involved. But if there is going to be one it has to be via Congress. And Congress can screw up lunch.
          I found this: http://freebeacon.com/issues/nationa...next-congress/

"The text of the proposal, first reported by the Caller, would prevent more restrictive states from prohibiting those from out of state from legally carrying a gun. It would require those carrying a gun to also carry the permit from their state and government-issued picture ID. They would also be required to follow the state's laws on concealed carry."

This would seem to imply that individual states would not have to change their requirements for a license. In that case it might work, but will make it harder to get states to cooperate.

As an aside, I just received my renewal license, only 3 weeks since applying & all done on-line. I did have to mail a copy of my DD214 to them to get the military rate of $25.
          Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

The problem **I** have is that I live in a state where I can't get a CCW to start with because they continue to put the boot of the state gov't on the throats of law abiding citizens.

Comment

Get a Utah non-resident one. They are honored in most states.
              Oklahoma honors a large number of states but you must follow the rules of your state. For example, when I had a Connecticut one I could not use, or buy, magazines greater that 10 rounds even for rifles.
              Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by groberts View Post
                Get a Utah non-resident one. They are honored in most states.
                Oklahoma honors a large number of states but you must follow the rules of your state. For example, when I had a Connecticut one I could not use, or buy, magazines greater that 10 rounds even for rifles.
                That would not help me with this bill. Not to mention that MD does not recognize ANY other state's CCW. Hence, the bill, but still won't help me.

" It would require those carrying a gun to also carry the permit from their state and government-issued picture ID."

Comment

As a LTC instructor in Texas, I am in favor of carrying a permit from your state. These easy to get most states permits do not teach you the laws in your state and can easily lead a person down the garden path. This is an endeavor if it goes wrong for you can easily cost into six figures. If you strap on a defensive gun its important to know the legislation which governs you.
                  Many might think this statement is because I have a lot invested as an instructor. The truth is most of the people I put through the course are free. I do it because the 2nd amendment is important.
                  Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

I would rather states sit down and work out reciprocity deals with each other, that work. Forget stupid states like Cali, NY, Illinois etc., they will never agree to anything, but taking away the rights of their citizens of carrying a defensive firearm.

Comment

Working...
                    X