Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mitchr
    replied
    Since we are all "family" guess Bersa Chatters are also exempt?

Leave a comment:

• ParaCav
    replied
    Originally posted by gun sane View Post

There is no federal law against driving drunk...that's a state rap, but it would disqualify him as a felon if purchasing a firearm through an FFL. It's probably against the law in your state to sell him one privately, too. But this doesn't rule out his chance of having his right restored if a judge expunges his record.

https://felonyguide.com/Felony-Gun-Laws.php

I'm with you on the responsibility and accountability conditions, ParaCav, but just because a law is on the books, it doesn't physically prevent a felon from having one. If your neighbor staggers around his yard drunk with a gun in hand, I'd treat him as any armed threat, no matter his legal status. Call the cops and "be prepared to take necessary action" until they arrive. That's the 2nd Amendment in principle....that, and keeping our government free.
    I agree 100%. There is always the possibility he could still have a firearm. Making it illegal does not stop him or anyone else from having a gun. Never has or never will. Private sales in ILL must go through a State Police checklist, there is an exception with family members.

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied
    That's why I don't go to gun free zones unless forced. The VA & voting polls, the 2 I visit, are gun free, but they do use armed security.

Leave a comment:

• Reginald Carstairs
    replied
    This may be a tad off subject. There was a documentary about three years ago that visited four federal and state prisons. They only interviewed prisoners who had committed murder with a firearm in gun free zones or posted as no guns allowed on premises. So basically where citizens are not protected fully by the second amendment due to federal, state, local or institutional law or rules (retail stores)

When asked what was one thing that either helped or made them feel safer committing their crime. The answer unanimously was "gun laws". When asked why? they said, not getting shot by an armed citizen.

So basically gun laws empowered the individuals to commit their crimes was the outcome of almost every interview.

Sent from the mothership.
    Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 03-02-2019, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gun sane
    replied
    Originally posted by gun sane View Post
    If your neighbor staggers around his yard drunk with a gun in hand, I'd treat him as any armed threat, no matter his legal status. Call the cops and "be prepared to take necessary action" until they arrive. That's the 2nd Amendment in principle....that, and keeping our government free.
    But if you see someone armed with a pillow, take a closer look before calling the cops.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota...f-mypillow-ceo

Leave a comment:

• gun sane
    replied
    Originally posted by ParaCav View Post

No problem. You have every right to your'e opinion. But owning a firearm is a responsibility and is an accountability. An example: I have a neighbor just across the street, He is a drunk and has had his drivers license permanently revoked. He cannot own a firearm. Is this violation of the 2nd amendment? I hardly think so. The last thing I want is an armed drunk staggering around his yard just across the street from my family. We have a lot of freedoms in our Country. But in no way does any freedom or Amendment to the Constitution, permit them to put others in harms way. I still stand behind my comment that owning a firearm is the responsibility and accountability of the owner. And I assure you that i have not been influenced by the libtards. I have owned firearms since I was 12yrs old and am now 82 and still own them. My family is all pro-gun.
    There is no federal law against driving drunk...that's a state rap, but it would disqualify him as a felon if purchasing a firearm through an FFL. It's probably against the law in your state to sell him one privately, too. But this doesn't rule out his chance of having his right restored if a judge expunges his record.

https://felonyguide.com/Felony-Gun-Laws.php

I'm with you on the responsibility and accountability conditions, ParaCav, but just because a law is on the books, it doesn't physically prevent a felon from having one. If your neighbor staggers around his yard drunk with a gun in hand, I'd treat him as any armed threat, no matter his legal status. Call the cops and "be prepared to take necessary action" until they arrive. That's the 2nd Amendment in principle....that, and keeping our government free.

Leave a comment:

• ParaCav
    replied
    Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Paracav, I'm sorry, but I have to take exception to your above. The only rules that apply to my owning or carrying a firearm, is the 2nd. That statement that there must be "some basic rules" is a violation of or abridgement of my right. I do recommend training, but that is an individual responsibility, having nothing to do with the unalienable rights. Respectfully, I think you have been influenced by your state of residence and I don't want to start a flame war but will just respectfully disagree.

Bill
    No problem. You have every right to your'e opinion. But owning a firearm is a responsibility and is an accountability. An example: I have a neighbor just across the street, He is a drunk and has had his drivers license permanently revoked. He cannot own a firearm. Is this violation of the 2nd amendment? I hardly think so. The last thing I want is an armed drunk staggering around his yard just across the street from my family. We have a lot of freedoms in our Country. But in no way does any freedom or Amendment to the Constitution, permit them to put others in harms way. I still stand behind my comment that owning a firearm is the responsibility and accountability of the owner. And I assure you that i have not been influenced by the libtards. I have owned firearms since I was 12yrs old and am now 82 and still own them. My family is all pro-gun.

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied
    True, common sense seems to be lacking with lots of folks & we need warning stickers on every thing nowadays, like "Do not use for climbing" on the back of a step ladder.

Leave a comment:

• gun sane
    replied
    Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    I do recommend training, but that is an individual responsibility, having nothing to do with the unalienable rights.
    Dang, that's how I should have worded it.

Leave a comment:

• JCLs
    replied
    Originally posted by mitchr View Post

Who can guarantee that the two that failed are not carrying? Laws don't stop stupidity. ',,,,,,,,,That doesn't mean there aren't people that drive a car without either. .
    Yep, we all face illegal actions and irresponsibility every day. The old catch 22. I still think a little deterrent or check on this is needed. If a carry permit is required and handled properly, it is a deterrent and at least provides legal support for those caught carrying without one.

I thought my initial comment might stir something up. Am reading with open mind!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• R.Ph. 380
    replied
    Granted, But we cannot go back to the days of Wyatt Earp, etc. There must be some restrictions or rules for owning a firearm in the US. But there will never be 100% compliance, there will always be those who ignore all rules or laws. The problem is how do we stop those who do not follow the rules. We can't and never will. So again there must be some basic rules and laws for owning a firearm. I think we all know that having liberties requires responsibility.
    Paracav, I'm sorry, but I have to take exception to your above. The only rules that apply to my owning or carrying a firearm, is the 2nd. That statement that there must be "some basic rules" is a violation of or abridgement of my right. I do recommend training, but that is an individual responsibility, having nothing to do with the unalienable rights. Respectfully, I think you have been influenced by your state of residence and I don't want to start a flame war but will just respectfully disagree.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• PHMadness
    replied

There must be some restrictions or rules for owning a firearm in the US.
    And why is that? I'd sincerely like to know your thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied
    Marty just read me a story about a cop that, while running from a rabid fox, fell over a fence & shot himself. So much for training.

Seriously, more good might be accomplished if every gun dealer/FFL handed out a card, listing the 4 gun safety rules with every firearm they sold. A good chance that not everyone would read them, but would probably do as much good as some of the "training" people are trying to sell.

Leave a comment:

• ParaCav
    replied
    Granted, But we cannot go back to the days of Wyatt Earp, etc. There must be some restrictions or rules for owning a firearm in the US. But there will never be 100% compliance, there will always be those who ignore all rules or laws. The problem is how do we stop those who do not follow the rules. We can't and never will. So again there must be some basic rules and laws for owning a firearm. I think we all know that having liberties requires responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied
    Originally posted by JCLs View Post
    Well I guess I am going to get “shot” down pretty quick, but based on what I have seen at the range and other places, I think having a little check in place before letting a person carry a weapon with them at all times is a good thing. The Texas permit is pretty easy to get from my experience and helped clarify for me the laws regarding posting places you cannot carry etc. When I took the range test with my almost brand new Bersa Thunder 380 there were 2 people out of 16 who obviously had either no or extremely unlimited experience with any loaded weapon. The instructor failed them. That little control goes away with constitutional carry and it worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can see your point, but folks that should not be carrying, already are, just not getting a license. Who can guarantee that the two that failed are not carrying? Laws don't stop stupidity. 'Course, I will continue buying a license for the few times I may need to go to the VA in Shreveport. After all, my carry license is a lot cheaper than my tags & license to own a vehicle.That doesn't mean there aren't people that drive a car without either. Saw a vehicle yesterday with dealer's tags dated 4-18-18! I also doubt they had driver's license or insurance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X