Target Ammo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target Ammo

As would be expected, I have found & read a lot of reports/info on self defense ammo on Bersa Talk & other gun foums. But, not much on target ammo. It seems the extent of the discussion about range ammo is how dirty/clean, cost, failure to fire, etc. So, for range ammo I have just generally settled for whatever Wally World had & this has been limited to WWB, Federal & Remington UMC, the cheap stuff.

Can there be a significant difference in the accuracy of different brands? I've been assuming that there would not be but something happened today to make me wonder. My range sessions have been dedicated to close self defense distances of 3 yds to 15 yds, shooting weak hand, point shooting, etc. Lance told me about the "Shoot 'N Cee" targets that make it easier for us old geezers to see at long distances:o:o, so I bought some & used a couple today. VERY disappointing. I bought the 6" targets & with 5 rds from my HC 9, not one in the bullseye!! With my UC 9, I hit it with one rd.!! Now both times, it was with WWB 115 grain. On a whim, I loaded up 5 rds of Federal 115 gr. in the UC 9 & put 4 of 5 in the bullseye. Still nothing to brag about & I've never claimed to be a good shot anyway, but a significant difference. Just luck or that much difference in ammo? Actually the Federal costs less than the Winchester. Any thought/opinions?
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Can there be a significant difference in the accuracy of different brands?
    Yes as you are finding out Guns are picky Some might like federals best others different brand I don't find as much variation in HP as in ball ammo I am not a fan of Winchester white box Its made overseas and I find its accuracy lacking But for playing its fine . 15 yds with my 1 so so good eye I would be happy if I hit the target anyplace.
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

When I first got my Firestorm 1911 I ran a couple of mags of Blazer aluminum through it. They functioned fine but were all over the paper. The next couple of mags I ran some Fiocchi and the groups tightened up significantly. I went back to the Blazer to see if it was me and the groups opened up again. Oh, this all happened on the same range trip.

Bronson
      Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Comment

I find that not only are some guns picky about brand of ammo, some are picky about bullet weight. As an example, I have a Sig 229 .40 that is one of my carry weapons. It is very accurate with 180 grain rounds but is a tack drive with 165 grain rounds. Doesn't matter what manufacturer. Funny thing is that with SD ammo it doesn't seem to matter. My Bersa UC45 will eat anything reliably and pretty accurately. My 1911s are more picky than all the other guns I own, but that is common. All my ranting basically comes down to this, some guns are picky some aren't. Just have to know what yours is like and go from there
        sigpic
        1,000 Posts on Bersatalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael T View Post
          Yes as you are finding out Guns are picky Some might like federals best others different brand I don't find as much variation in HP as in ball ammo I am not a fan of Winchester white box Its made overseas and I find its accuracy lacking But for playing its fine . 15 yds with my 1 so so good eye I would be happy if I hit the target anyplace.
          I prefer Federal to WWB also because it seems to be cleaner. I knew that Winchester contracted for some 380 to be made overseas, but I have some 380 made in USA. Haven't really looked at other calibers, so you could be right about 9mm. As for accuracy of FMJ, I've seen the new line of 9mm ammo that Walmart is handling, which is Swiss made & sells for about $17 compared to $9.47 for Federal. Only obvious difference is their Federal is 115 grain & the Swiss stuff is 124 grain. But, does the difference in price indicated that it might be more accurate? Can accuracy be predicted by checked published velocities, etc.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Fwiw, I do best with Remington UMC in .380........
            There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Comment

Likewise, AG, my Bersa 380 p-u-r-r-r-r-s with Remington UMC. She likes Magtech a lot, too. WWB.....ehhhhh, not so good!
              NRA Member
              USAF Veteran

Comment

I guess I have been lucky with all my Bersas (including the 380's 9's and 45's, don't have a 40 or 22 yet).. They all seem to not care what is being fed them. That includes some 30 and 40 year old ammo.
                Learn all you can from the mistakes of others. You won't have time to
                make them all yourself. -- Alfred Sheinwold..

Comment

The range that is the closest to me and that I use most offten requires frangibles and I use International.
                  ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired (Aka-9UC)
                  "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
                  Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

Comment

I've used Magtech with good results in several calibers. But last year I picked up some Magtech First Defense in .380 and could not put one hole in a target only 10 yards away.
                    Recently used .40S&W in 180 gr and did OK but was told on the Beretta Forum that I'll probably see a big improvement if I step down to 165 gr. Seems the 40s like lighter and faster rounds.

Comment

accuracy can really vary by ammo and even by batch.... that is why most of your competition shooters brew their own and are religious about case lengths bullet setbacks measure the charge in every round etc
                      i know with my rifle rounds my handloads i can shoot 1" groups out to 200 yrds best factory ammo i've found never got better than 2" at that distance
                      Barack Obama is the first politician I have ever known that has met or exceeded every one of my expectations. As bad as I thought he would be, I truly had no idea.

Comment

I picked up some WWB 100 round boxes of .45 ammo pretty cheap at Wal-Mart and tried it out today. It was reliable and accurate, but pretty darn dirty. I stay away from Wolf for just that reason. I prefer Sellier & Bellot and Remington UMC for tartget rounds.

Comment

I'm going to see if I can find some Remington UMC 9mm FMJ to try on my next range trip. I have some JHP that NCFlyfisher tested that tested good. I've been told by a couple of folks that their UMC pistol ammo is as good as their premium stuff.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel76 View Post
                            I picked up some WWB 100 round boxes of .45 ammo pretty cheap at Wal-Mart and tried it out today. It was reliable and accurate, but pretty darn dirty. I stay away from Wolf for just that reason. I prefer Sellier & Bellot and Remington UMC for tartget rounds.
                            Gabriel,
                            Cool avatar, I had to enlarge it to see the morphs. Nice and inventive.

Bill
                            W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
                            NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Any HOT links for ammo on 380 that is reasonable and available?? I keep hearing it is getting better, but can't prove it in my area yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X