.380 vs. 38 +P for Dummies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: .380 vs. 38 +P for Dummies

My favorite bullistician-on-the-cheap is back, this time to compare the Winchester's .380 Defender ammo against it's .38 Spl Train and Defend in standard pressure loads. Using the same basic technology that I employ in testing, Gun Sam (a distant relative, perhaps?) reaches the same basic conclusions that I would; namely that pocket semi-automatics really aren't great for firing out of pockets and some Winchester ammo turns the Ruger LCP into a jam-o-matic. I guess the only big scientific difference between Gun Sam and me is that I don't do ammo tests in mudholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97DHAFrf5pY
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

I used Winchester white box when I had to fire 50 rounds for my concealed carry permit. I figured if I had a jam there it would count as practice as long as I got all 50 rounds off in the allotted time and cleared the jam safely. No way would I use it for carry. I think I still have a 100 round box left for my next rip to the range.
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

It's higher priced & dirty, so I generally don't buy Winchester, but have never had a problem shooting it in any caliber.
        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Why do I use +p CorBon DPX in my S&W 1 7/8"snub read this and compare 3 barrel lengths and look at the expansion on this 110 gr. all copper Barnes bullet.

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbo...ial%20Ammo.htm

Michael T's favorite, he got me hooked on it.

No fragmentation and 100% bullet weight retention!
          In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
            Thanks for posting the link to Stephen Camp's website. He was a great guy. Years ago I bought his 1911 guide. I just saw his Guide to S&W AirWeight J-Frames and now that I am carrying J-Frames I figured that I better buy it. I sent a note to his wife Sandra thanking her for keeping is website running.

I strongly encourage all Bersa Chat Members to stop by and browse his website:

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

Comment

I have and carry both .380s, and .38 specials and never feel undergunned with any one of them. I also carry the 9x18 Makarov which is generally considered right in between the .380 and .38 special +P. Right now I am in a fairly revolver oriented frame of mind and have been carrying what I consider the be one of the most comfortable carry handguns I have found, the Taurus .380 M380 which is a .380 revolver with two spare 5 round moon clips. I have done a lot of shooting with it and carried it almost exclusively all spring and summer. In my GHB I carry the BErsa Combat plus and 2 spare magazines. This combination allows me to have my revolver with 15 rounds on my person and in an emergency I could use one of the 15 round Bersa magazines to completely rearm my revolvers compliment of moon clips. This would allow me to have to firearms ready for use with which I could even arm someone like my wife or father if neither had a weapon with them.

The .380 in every test I have performed has done the job very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	taurus 1_zpslpolsshm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	601054

Comment

Working...
              X