Rethinking the Botique Ammo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rethinking the Botique Ammo

I've been listening to this guy on several issues and I think he has a point about hyper-ammo (costing hyper-bucks), especially in .380 ACP, my favorite hidey caliber. Our collection of jug test threads pretty much bears out what he has to say. The fodder that seems to deliver the best results are Corbon DPX, which always seems to blow the test material to kingdom come, Buffalo Bore and Hornady Critical Defense. Of these three, the Hornady is the most plentiful in my area stores. I agree with his advice to test carry ammo before trusting it, but that can be an expensive proposition. Give the video a few minutes and make up your own mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBnXnXe87f0
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

I use the Remington 88 grain JHP, in .380 ACP. It is about 36 bucks a box of 50, and it has always done right by me. I do have some of the Winchester SCJHP's, but the hole in the front is so huge, that it will not cycle in some of my .380's, but the Remy stuff runs in all of them.

Comment

Expensive or not, you're just not very smart to trust your life to ammo that you haven't even tested in your gun!

That said, shot placement is EVERYTHING. At 10 yards I can easily and consistently put an entire magazine into a perp's forehead rapid-fire. So, for me, spending a whole lot of time agonizing over which ammo does this or that best is a rather moot point. My advice is to stop agonizing over which ammo and simply practice until you can do that!

Comment

I use Rem 88 jhp and have for several years. I did bookoo test with jugs and denim a few years back.
        My not so scientific tests yeilded:
        with 4 layers of denim- most jhps did not open
        with 3 layers- most did open
        with 2 layers- all opened.
        with 1 layer -all opened.

I live in lower Alabama...I will never see 4 layers of denim even in winter. That said- the FBI standard 4 layers doesn't apply to me and my Bersa T380.
        In the gel test I have seen on youtube and other sites show that if the rem 88 jhp opens fully- it penetrates to about 12 inches. If it doesn't open at all- then it penetrates to about 15-17 inches. So....either way?......whether it opens or not- the bullet comes to rest within the 12-18 penetration suggested by the FBI.
        The last batch of the Rem 88 gr HTP that I ordered was on sale- about $15 per 50 box.
        I use the same type ammo in 9mm 115 gr.

if you buy it by the box off the shelf it can cost much more.
        Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Working...
        X