TULA Steel Ammo Result - hint: Not so good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TULA Steel Ammo Result - hint: Not so good

For my Bersa Thunder 380s ( I own two) I usually use my own reloads. However, lately I've gotten lazy and decided to try some cheap TULA Steel cased ammo. The results were disappointing. See the attached 10-yard target photo. The TULA was hitting low with a wide spread pattern. For comparison I shot three of my reloads, which were tight and near the bullseye. I measured the bullet diameter of both. The bullets in my reloads measure 0.348" and the TULA measures 0.351". The SAMMI specs call for a diameter of 0.3565 so both bullets are actually undersized I have not slugged the barrel nor tried the TULAs in my other Bersa Thunder. Nonetheless, my Bersa doesn't like TULA's alloy bullets.

Not many fans here for steel case ammo in their pistols.
    Being almost .010" off on your bullets (I use .357 or .358 lead projectiles for my 9mm's), I would question my calipers' zero, accuracy or method of measuring just to be sure.
    Slugging your barrels is a good thing for the reloader. Cheap and easy slugging... I use soft lead, egg shaped, fishing weights that I form enough to start in the barrel. A wood block with a shallow counter-bore for seating the barrel, small hammer and a brass or hardwood dowel. Copious amounts of oil on the slug and barrel. Small taps and patience and you will know what diameter your barrel is and can buy your components accordingly.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I size my bullets to .358
      KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Comment

One to two thousand over the actual slugged barrel size is the norm for reloading lead alloy bullets. RICHGCOOP sounds like he is right on. That slight oversizing doesn't change the pressure much and does the job for leading problems. Less gas blow-by equals less leading.

I never use steel-cased cartridges in any of my firearms. Most gunsmiths agree I know Wolfgang says not to do it.
        In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

The only thing I use steel case ammo in is my SKS anime it's a cheap inexpensive toy. My Colt AR I won't even let look at steel cases. Another thing to watch out for the steel bullets is a copper coating or copper nickel coating.
          I have some Old World War II 45 ACP cartridges that have steel case and some of them even have steel bullets with a copper plating on them I would never shoot them in any of my 1911's they are collector cartridges.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Comment

This is what you get for putting steel cased ammo in a Bersa

Comment

Working...
            X