Corbon DPX .32acp denim/jug test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corbon DPX .32acp denim/jug test

Finally was able to make it to the range today and one of my projects while there was to do some jug testing of the DPX in .32 acp that I'd picked up.

Here's the tech data from Corbon...

Technical Information
    Caliber: 32 ACP
    Bullet Weight: 60 Grains
    Bullet Style: Barnes XPB Hollow Point Lead-Free
    Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 1050 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 147 ft. lbs.
    For the sake of consistency I tried to stick as close to NCFlyfisher's protocol as I could remember.
    • Water jugs all lined up
    • 4 layers of denim on the first jug
    • Distance of about 10 feet
    • Using a Kel-Tec P-32 with a 2.68" barrel
    I did all this three times.

The first two bullets partially expanded and the slugs were found about halfway through the 3rd jug.

The last bullet fully expanded and the was found at the very back of the second jug.

That equals approx. 7"-10" and 6"-8", respectively, of penetration in ballistic gelatin. A little short but not really that bad for a .32 acp going through four layers of denim out of such a short barrel.

I also ran two magazines (14 rounds) through the gun without a hitch. The magazine I was using was modified to prevent rimlock and the rounds fit in the magazine perfectly. Recoil was tame and easy to manage.

I have three rounds left. I would like to send them to three different people on BersaChat that have the ability to test them using NCFlyfisher's jug testing protocol and report back here with their findings. PM me if you're interested.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Re: Corbon DPX .32acp denim/jug test

Bronson, Thank you for the test. I do believe the rounds would fully expand in gel or flesh. This shows this caliber using DPX blows the myth about the .32 not expanding out of a short barrel.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

And people say the .32ACP is inadequate for self-defense. Male bovine feces.
      A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Comment

I'll take one I would like to try with more realistic 1 or 2 layer of denim . Ir maybe a piece of leather

I would use my KelTec.
        Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

thanks for the great report bronson.. ncfly would be proud i do believe...
          A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

Anyone chrono that stuff?

Comment

I applaud your time, ammo test project and great photos, Mr. Bronson!

Well Done, Sir!

That DPX JHP ammo is the best on the market IMO. Nice touch adding the tech data.
              “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
              -
              Elmer Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
                Anyone chrono that stuff?
                loki tested their 60gr HP at 1008FPS from KelTec Same weight so should be close.

I would like to see head to head 60gr JHP verses 60 DPX both Corbon I have the JHP in my KelTec at present.
                Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

Bronson's ammo test made me wonder about the size of the DPX 32 & DPX 380. I took the liberty (I hope you don't mind, Mr. Bronson) of using his photo to compare with one of my test of the DPX 380. They're both almost have the same expansion covering a dime.

Bronson's DPX 32 (copyright)

Fly's DPX 380
                  “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
                  -
                  Elmer Keith

Comment

Well their close in size 32 is .309 in diameter and 380 is .355 or difference of .046 Thats one reason I say in a mouse gun target won't know difference From a KelTec the 32 should be at 1000FPS and the 380 at 950 + one a 60gr and other a 80gr.
                    They ain't going to know what hit them Just that their shot. Use ball and they might not know that.
                    Certified Armed Infidel

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

Okay...a not so dumb question from a casual observer: How come your third shot expanded nicely with good penetration but the first two petered out? Do the individual cartridges vary in powder charges? That's the only variable left if your distance, pistol and jug setup remain the same.
                      Last edited by gun sane; 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM.
                      Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by gun sane View Post
                        Okay...a not so dumb question from a casual observer: How come your third shot expanded nicely with good penetration but the first two petered out? Do the individual cartridges vary in powder charges? That's the only variable left if your distance, pistol and jug setup remain the same.
                        That's a good question. Everything on my end remained the same. It could be that the stars weren't correctly aligned or I didn't have my tongue in the right position. Everything man made fails once in a while but it did somewhat concern me that two in a row didn't perform as I'd like. They also, understandably, took a veering path through the milk jugs...coming very close to exiting out the bottom before they stopped. The third one travelled straight and true and left a nice star shaped entrance hole in the second jug.

Bronson
                        Last edited by Bronson; 06-15-2011, 01:00 AM.
                        Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Comment

MT has lain claim to one of the three remaining rounds (you'll need to PM me your address MT). I've got two more that I'm willing to send out to people who will test them and post their results. I only ask that you shoot through some type of medium that simulates clothing. I believe MT wants to shoot through an old leather jacket and I think that's a great idea. Almost any HP ammo will perform great on a bare water jug/gelatin test. It's when the bullet has to pass through clothing that we see them fail.

I would really like to send them all out at the same time so if you're interested just drop me a PM with your address.

Also, as I've never sent any ammo what's the procedure? Can I mail it or does it have to go through UPS or FedEx?

Thanks,

Bronson

Comment

Working...
                          X