• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCI Velocitor vs CCI Stinger

Stinger is 32gr. faster.

Velocitor is 40gr. heavier.

out of a 6" barrel (thunder 22-6)

shot from about 3m away

both expanded to about the same diameter.

velocitor penetrated more water bottles.
    Last edited by ron; 01-01-2011, 10:36 PM.

Re: CCI Velocitor vs CCI Stinger

I'd like to see a graph where higher velocity w/ lighter weight bullet intersects with a lower velocity, heavier bullet, from a penetration standpoint.
    It seems mass wins over velocity.
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Comment

Remember those supersonic .22lr rounds suffer from loss of accuracy when compared to sub-sonics. My tack drivers are always fed 1050 fps ammo. Most autos need the higher velocity for more recoil to operate the slide. The Firestorm .22lr auto is a good example, most won't cycle with subsonic ammo. My wifes Ruger Charger needs CCI mini-mags to cycle it's action, but my TC contender shooting Champion Standard plus will nail the bulls eye every time if I do my job behind that trigger.
      Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 01-01-2011, 02:28 PM.
      In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
        Remember those supersonic .22lr rounds suffer from loss of accuracy when compared to sub-sonics. My tack drivers are always fed 1050 fps ammo. Most autos need the higher velocity for more recoil to operate the slide. The Firestorm .22lr auto is a good example, most won't cycle with subsonic ammo. My wifes Ruger Charger needs CCI mini-mags to cycle it's action, but my TC contender shooting Champion Standard plus will nail the bulls eye every time if I do my job behind that trigger.
        I definitely agree that the sub-sonics are more accurate, then high velocity & then these hyper velocity rounds really lack in the accuracy department -- just my shooting experience.

As to the cycling problem of .22 semi-autos, I have found that if a dry lube is used, they will almost always cycle even the sub-sonics. Oil, grease & even Finish Line "dry lube" gums up the works some until it gets warmed up. I use a dry lube like RemDri though probably there are some better. Finish Line works well if you soak the bolt & receiver good, then let dry a bit, & finally wipe off the excess with a small patch -- leaving all parts slicker than snot. 10/22's, Marlins, Buckmark & Mk3 all will cycle the sub-sonics just fine -- can't say for the FireStorm/Bersa .22 as never had one, however, used to have an Erma Excam that looks the very same & worked fine in it.

Just my opinion & experience. If you really want to shoot the lower velocity stuff in your semi-auto .22, you might give it a try.
        1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
        2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

Comment

Thanks bcrtops, that's good information. I haven't done it but I wonder if I left the Charger (10/22 pistol) dry and put some KG-10 on the receiver rails if it would work with the standard rounds? I may try it and see.
          In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
            Thanks bcrtops, that's good information. I haven't done it but I wonder if I left the Charger (10/22 pistol) dry and put some KG-10 on the receiver rails if it would work with the standard rounds? I may try it and see.
            KG-10 works well -- it is just real "messy" -- seems to end up everywhere
            RemDriLube works, but I always wonder if enough lube is really there -- it not very obvious
            I've only done it 2x, but really like the FinishLine, drying, & then wiping the excess off -- the metal parts are very obviously "slicked up"

The .22's are just a straight blow back system. The adding of oil, grease, wax makes enough friction on the bolt that they don't cycle with the lighter sub-sonic rounds -- that is my theory. I have had similar issue with .45's shooting light weight target load (1st couple don't cycle completely, but the Finish Line warms right up on a .45 & cycles fine for the following rounds. Hand cycling the slide a few times on the .45 seems to work -- but the .22 just doesn't loosen or warm up that quickly/easily)
            Last edited by bcrtops; 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

"KG-10 works well -- it is just real "messy" -- seems to end up everywhere"

You got that right!! Hint: It washes off hands pretty good, but not out of clothes!! All my T-shirts have a black smudge at the largest part of me, about belly button high.

Back to subject: Might the KG10 work real well on the rails of a very tight 1911, instead of oil/grease? Also, in this cold weather, I suppose it's even more of a problem with Finish Line?
              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

how many meter's?
                Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Comment

Here's some incredible 200 yard accuracy with Stingers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0IOBjF_FQ
                  Protect your rights, join the NRA!

Comment

Originally posted by jwash3rd View Post
                    Here's some incredible 200 yard accuracy with Stingers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0IOBjF_FQ
                    Maybe I should be? But I'm not that impressed. I would think most anyone could duplicate that. I typically shoot at a 4" steel at 100 yds. I'd like to see DeeDee draw smiley faces on the head and shirt buttons on it.
                    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I had an interesting result with Velocitors compared to Stingers. I've been shooting wetpak phone books with our various pistols and different rounds.

At 10 feet into a 9 inch thick wetpack (phone books) with 2 layers of denim laying on the front side of the wetpack from a 2.5 inch barrel, the Velocitors went completely thru the wetpack. There was no expansion at all, in fact, the "wound channel" in the phone books made it look like the bullets didn't even slow down. The Stingers expanded fully and evenly. Kind of shocked me.
                      It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....

[email protected]

www.getvicious.com

Comment

Originally posted by getvicious View Post
                        I had an interesting result with Velocitors compared to Stingers. I've been shooting wetpak phone books with our various pistols and different rounds.

At 10 feet into a 9 inch thick wetpack (phone books) with 2 layers of denim laying on the front side of the wetpack from a 2.5 inch barrel, the Velocitors went completely thru the wetpack. There was no expansion at all, in fact, the "wound channel" in the phone books made it look like the bullets didn't even slow down. The Stingers expanded fully and evenly. Kind of shocked me.

i shot mine out of a 6" barrel but note that they didn't mushroom very well despite the longer barrel. i guess it needs rifle velocities in order to expand it fully.

Comment

I keep telling you all 22 is a great survival rifle head shots on zombie's at 100 yds In lawless times you can select fire on the leaders of gangs from distance with little chance of discovery . 2 or 300 yds with a scope . Remember in time od riots and law ness won't be much way of hospitals and emergency rooms Use solid points you want penetration.
                          When I was a kid we did 100yd shooting with open sights on ground hogs . Some where it became thought that 22 was a 50yd rifle . I don't know where that came from.
                          Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                            I keep telling you all 22 is a great survival rifle head shots on zombie's at 100 yds In lawless times you can select fire on the leaders of gangs from distance with little chance of discovery . 2 or 300 yds with a scope . Remember in time od riots and law ness won't be much way of hospitals and emergency rooms Use solid points you want penetration.
                            When I was a kid we did 100yd shooting with open sights on ground hogs . Some where it became thought that 22 was a 50yd rifle . I don't know where that came from.
                            Well ...................a lot of "camp meat" has been taken with the lowly .22.
                            100 yrds. = yes
                            200 yrds. = skill level most back yard shooters won't have as pretty standard scope sighted in @ 75 yrds. will have -36" drop @ 200 yrds.
                            300 yrds. = still deadly, but good luck even getting in the sights of a very expensive scope with such a huge drop off. Guys have shot at the distance, but not like taking your .22 rifle off the rack & going outside & making the shot -- takes some good calibration & equipment.

Comment

Velocitors are my 10/22's favorite hyper meal, with Blazers being the standard fare. All this talk and videos got me hungry to get more time with my Ruger rifle because it's cheap and fun. Sometimes we can get so handgun focused that we neglect the joy of small caliber plinking and target shooting.
                              Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X