Filling Them Little Beauties Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling Them Little Beauties Again

It's been so long that I've been at the reloading bench, I'd almost forgotten why I got the setup anyway. In the fat times I had bought a few thousand primers and enough jugs of powder that I thought I'd never shoot it all. Then Covid came knocking at our door and I feared I'd never shoot at all. Thank God for His mercy!

So, It was great to throw my legs under the table again and begin reacquainting myself with the ammo mill. It's surprising how much you forget. It's not like getting back on a bicycle. If you make a mistake on the two-wheeler, you might get by with a skinned knee. A brain hiccup here can be much more debilitating.

So much to re-learn! I watched a few YouTubers trying new things and was surprised at what they thought they could get away with indefinitely. They're playing around with all kinds of combos. Makes you think that they need a cancel culture for reloaders rather than for political wonks. I saw this meme the other day and it brought to mind what some of these crazy Alfred Nobel-wannabes would do next:

reloadtumblr_p3m0woYS4h1tj5pzzo1_500.jpg.46a8f6ba5961265ee228ba5b17b3892f.jpg

So I blew the dust off my dog-eared copy of Richard Lee's Modern Reloading and started discovering again what makes sense. I also recovered my stash of Red Dot recipes that RC had shared long ago and started workup ladders for new guns I had acquired since he blessed me with the confidential notes. Don't ever throw away your homework!

So after cleaning and de-capping about a quart of brass, I started jamming those precious primers into the glory holes. Soon I was back to gleefully pulling the lever on a new batch of 9's.

This is my idea of a free press.
    Last edited by gun sane; 02-21-2021, 09:40 AM.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

I had my morning coffee. French press of course ☕. Then I worked out a little this morning

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I also wanted to give a shout out to an outstanding Mom and Pop shop out of Arkansas. White Label Lube. They make bullet lubes for handloaders.

I love their 44-45-10 X-Lox liquid for tumble lubing. For those of you that cast your own, they have various products for your lubrisizers too.

I'm tumble lubing some 158 gr.LSWC Boolits this morning too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by TuxAir; 04-18-2021, 10:31 AM.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Looks like you have a good combination. I used to use Lees liquid Alox but I never was too satisfied. Yours looks like a better mix.

AutoComp, Lots of the boys at Camp David used that for their .45acp loads.

PS: Home, all went well.
        In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

I made a batch of .38 Spl with Lovex Clean Shot powder, which several sources claim is equivalent to Accurate No. 2, but they seemed a bit warm for my S&W 638, at least for funsie practice rounds. I think I'll go back to Red Dot. I'm much more familiar with that.

I've just about used up all of my LSWC rounds that gtgeorge sent me when he was in the biz and haven't bothered looking for another lead supplier. I found a deal on Xtreme plated 158 SWC, so you gotta go with what ya got.
          Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Working...
          X