To dispose of my 383 DA or not to ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To dispose of my 383 DA or not to ...

I purchased a used Bersa 383DA and discovered that while firing at the range, it would eject the magazine after firing a round down range. I took it to a local gunsmith who removed the magazine safety and solved that problem. Then I took it back to the range and now I have numerous mis-feeds with different brands of ammo. Also the safety latch broke and the gun smith welded it back together. I am now thinking if I send this gun to a Bersa gunsmith to restore this gun to original working order, my money would be better spent just getting a Thunder 380 and disposing of the 383. Any thoughts out there? The 383 is extremely accurate with the right ammo.

Re: To dispose of my 383 DA or not to ...

The new Thunders are also accurate. As to getting a new Thunder, $$ wise, it makes sense. IMO, only reason to sink more money into an obsolete pistol with problems, is for sentimental reasons, such as inherited from a relative, etc.

BTW, welcome to Bersa Chat.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I second the motion above..... I have 2 of the Plus models, 2 of the Thunder CC models, and one standard T 380. They all shoot great.
      Only persisting issue I have is that one of my CC's will get occasional FTE with Fiocchi. I will ALWAYS have several Bersa Thunders!
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Welcome Precept,

The 383DA requires a magazine that has a slightly different shape than other models. (note: I have not found an aftermarket 383DA magazine that will work properly consistently.)
        Also, original 383DA mags are extremely hard to find.

Most of your problems appear to magazine related.
        The broken "safety latch" can be replaced with one from a model 383A, which can be obtained.

That said, I agree with mitchr's assessment.

regards jab

note: If you decide to keep it Wolfgang can probably help you.
        Long story short, jab is a male.
        Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

sounds like the makin's of a country song

you might do well parting it out over time, meanwhile pick out a nice new model from current production

Comment

I own a 383A, and I would get a newer one If mine started having Issues.
            I think I'd still try fixing myself, as stated previously parts are available

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/bersa/383

Comment

If you decide to get a new Thunder and want to sell your 383DA for parts, I'd be interested. I try to keep these "old-timers" operating as best I can and a parts gun helps out tremendously. I'm sure I could fix it for you, but it would be costly since it's not covered under warranty.

With a new Thunder, you will have relatively easy access to parts and a lifetime guarantee to boot. As most of the other posts stated, unless you have some sort of sentimental attachment, you may want to trade up as it will become increasingly difficult and expensive to find parts. For example, I haven't found a source for them, so I TIG weld material back onto the slide catches to where I can then fit it back to like new, but it is expensive. Only the most hard-core owners are willing to pay for this. And there are some parts that would be extremely expensive to make a one-off, whereas a similar part on a Thunder might be had for only a few bucks.
              Wolfgang

Originally posted by Precept View Post
              I purchased a used Bersa 383DA and discovered that while firing at the range, it would eject the magazine after firing a round down range. I took it to a local gunsmith who removed the magazine safety and solved that problem. Then I took it back to the range and now I have numerous mis-feeds with different brands of ammo. Also the safety latch broke and the gun smith welded it back together. I am now thinking if I send this gun to a Bersa gunsmith to restore this gun to original working order, my money would be better spent just getting a Thunder 380 and disposing of the 383. Any thoughts out there? The 383 is extremely accurate with the right ammo.
              Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
              http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
              503-429-7342

Comment

Working...
              X