This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feed ramp burr on brand new Firestorm

Cool story bro. I invited someone else to explain it as a kindness, as I've been sitting on my hands this whole thread. You were given good advice by people who know these guns well. You didn't heed it, thats fine. Your money. Now, you come and denigrate the brand of firearm that the forum is based on. That stings a little. You beat your chest about your accomplishments and abilities. My 14 year old son has more experience working on guns.
    Go buy a Glock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
      Cool story bro. I invited someone else to explain it as a kindness, as I've been sitting on my hands this whole thread. You were given good advice by people who know these guns well. You didn't heed it, thats fine. Your money. Now, you come and denigrate the brand of firearm that the forum is based on. That stings a little. You beat your chest about your accomplishments and abilities. My 14 year old son has more experience working on guns.
      Go buy a Glock.

So you were just throwing that "invitation" out there out of kindness? Wow, it sure felt like you were chumming the waters. Especially in light of the other posts I linked to where you ganged up on people with similar issues. But I guess we'll never know.

I went out of my way to post photos in response to Reginald Carstairs request, saying it is "vital" to this thread. Now i'm wondering if it was vital to see what I did so his boys could come along and mock it? Maybe he too was sitting on his hands. There seems to be a high ratio of moderator-to-user posting here in this here little forum.

If it stings, maybe Bersa should put out a better product? Then again, you're not a shareholder so it only stings because you're a public fanboy. I've owned enough Bersas by this point to know what I'm getting and what I'm willing to go through and not go through to make them work. My time is too valuable to d*ck around with south american ghetto blasters.

Also, speaking of denigrating, "Go buy a Glock" is a nasty comment, and "My 14 year old son has more experience" -- do you not hear yourself?

That said, glocks are nice , though not my bag baby, and I'm sure your son is a charming person.

Comment

Lol, I really ganged up on some people in both of those threads didn't I? It was savage I tell you what. I think some of them even cried themselves to sleep. Just how many Bersas have you owned? I gather it's been many, since you seem to be well versed in them and what needs to be done to overcome their obvious quality shortcomings. I mean, sure, WE all know they're junk, thats why we've been here talking about them for 15 years. We were hoping the general public wouldn't find out though.
        Yeah, my son is awesome. He's got his eye on going to MIT. He's also getting damned expensive to feed. Both food and ammo.

Comment

Look man, just heading you off at the pass. Your posting of that Queen video speaks volumes about what was coming next and as I said, I read your history before posting, I don't need to hear it.

My gun, my choice.

Regarding Bersa's I've owned and had an ambivalent relationship with, they are: a thunder .380 in matte blue, a 383da, a combat .380, a .380 cc, a firestorm, and a bp9cc. Of the thunder or similar lines, the .380 matte jammed constantly, the 383da had a broken slide release that caused weird ejection issues, the combat exploded due to a squib (possibly ammo related, though the jury is still out), and the firestorm has the BURR issues discussed above. The bp9cc I sold off due to a very light trigger, but it was functional and svelte. The .380cc was flawless in the first ~300 rounds as I noted above. The QC seems much better on that one, by the way -- so one keeper out of what is that, eight?

I could get into other brands of SA and DA/SA pistols I've owned (brand new and used) and the issues I have generally NOT had with those through thousands and thousands of rounds, through dozens and dozens of handguns, but I'll spare you any embarrassing and potentially irrelevant comparisons (those guns were all more expensive, sometimes orders of magnitude so).

One thing I can say is that I have NEVER taken a dremel to a gun before. I have NEVER polished a feedramp before, and it's not something I did lightly in this case. As I have now said repeatedly, I did my homework. That's why your somewhat flippant messages stick in my craw.

You have posted several responses but you are still ducking the issue. That is, WHAT ABOUT THE BURR???

You are conveniently ignoring the burr photos I posted above. You have not proposed any practical fixes for the gun that is the topic of this post, that nosedives at the base of the feedramp using ball ammo on every single round. Where FMJ gets stuck so bad on the burr that HAMMERING on the back of the slide causes BULLET SETBACK rather than causing the gun to go into battery. I would say that's pathetic but ($250 handgun).

I don't mind being a dissenting voice on this topic. Here's my philosophy, distilled for you and any future readers encountering this same issue:

1. If I pay <= $250 on a handgun, I'm not messing with warranty service. Especially if the gun is BRAND SPANKING NEW and the manufacturer forces ME to pick up the tab for shipping. F THAT.

2. I will use any tools at my disposal to attempt to repair that handgun, without regard to voiding the warranty (lol) or causing cosmetic damage. This is why God made liquid gun blue.

3. If I can fix the gun, then great. Some internal parts have some wear and the resale value (of $0) of has not been substantially affected. Why $0? Because I can't sell a $250 gun with a burr on the feedramp. If I did sell it, the value would be reduced by the wait time plus the negative shipping costs. Again, I don't have time to d*ck around with this.

4. If I cannot fix the gun, then I will sell the parts to Numrich and buy another one and hope it wasn't QCed on an a Friday in Bueons Aries.

Good luck to your son, in all sincerity.

Comment

It's your gun and your money. You came and asked what to do. It was good advice. Alright, as to the burr, yes I saw it and never disbelieved it was there. Spending $15 to ship a gun to a warranty center seems like a good idea to me. Yes you can almost always do it for that. Any FFL can ship it USPS on the cheap and almost any of them will, especially if you support their business. Why did I pick that video? You polished off the hard coat anodizing on the ramp. That very thin coating does an amazing job af protecting the ramp for tens of thousands of rounds. After polishing they usually go a few hundred before being battered and ironically enough, start having the exact problem you just fixed. Unfortunately the warranty is now void.
            Don't take it personally. You are far from the first and certainly won't be the last to do it. I do wonder why you have had so many Bersas, more than I have had, if they're considered so low quality? You also said you're to busy to dick with a warranty on a cheap gun yet you will comb 8 years of forum posts looking for me being an a-hole and bringing up these weak examples. I've done WAAAY better. Just ask, the other mods and some of the older members can probably point you to some of the good ones from before I mellowed, lol. At my best I never achieved the success of our founder Michael, no one has ever started a competing forum for the express purpose of telling the world I'm an a-hole. We all even went and joined just to show our support[emoji4]. As my sig line reflects, I am now the kindest, most sensitive guy on the internet. [emoji56]

Comment

Closing thread as it has devolved.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

TuxAir has graciously allowed me to add one more post to this thread. I don't have the time nor inclination to take part in the personal attacks of either side. I just want to clarify a few points and correct some errors.

First off, given this sort of problem, I'd recommend sending it in for warranty repair. I understand the reluctance to spend $ on shipping a brand new pistol that doesn't work nor will ever work until it is repaired. I have pointers on my website that can substantially reduce shipping costs - see my ad at the top of the page. Shipping costs for a new firearm is something you may wish to courteously discuss w/ Eagle Imports. You may well find them understanding and helpful, but that is entirely their call.

Fitting feed ramps, both barrel & frame in the case of the BT 380 series, is not nearly as simple as polishing a ramp. There are several rules that must be followed in order for a pistol to feed reliably. Also, fouling the frame feed ramp can lead to a ruined pistol that cannot be fixed or replaced under warranty as I described in another post - http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...or-Repair-Work. I mean no disrespect, but most self-taught gunsmiths will almost certainly not know these rules. However, I will have to say it appears the owner in this case did a first-rate repair.

There are some problems that will work themselves out during the break-in period and some that will not. It is not easy for the average owner to tell the difference. You may want to contact an authorized warranty repair station for advice. Every brand, make, and model has occasional "out of the box" problems. To read some of the Glock forums, you'd think they were worthless junk and I have repaired a couple w/ problems right out of the box. Anything mechanical is subject to malfunctions, but that probably doesn't make the owner feel any better; it's just reality.

In answer to question 1) in the original post, I would not not recommend pressing a barrel out of a BT 380 series frame or an owner trying to remove one. The frame material around the top part of the barrel is aluminum & quite thin. Sometimes the barrel is a rather tight press fit or will bind up during removal. Using a press can easily warp the frame out of all hope of repair. Since the frame cannot be replaced, at this point you have an expensive rock and you've voided your warranty. I know the damage that can be caused by using a press as I tried that method to press the barrels out of several pistols that were being replaced for other reasons. I was hoping it would be easier and quicker to use a press. However, I destroyed the frame on almost all of the pistols I tried this on, not a good average. The average press has so much power, it can easily destroy a frame before you can even discern there is a problem.
                I have two special tools I use to remove and replace a barrel - one for removing and one for replacing the barrel as the chamber is somewhat larger in diameter than the muzzle end. I use an 8 oz. hammer as it will not damage the frame as long as only a reasonable amount of force is used. Also, I can keep an eye on the progress and take action if the barrel quits moving. I have carefully developed barrel-removing tools and techniques (heating, penetrating oil, etc.) over time and haven't ruined a frame so far.

For question 2), I have developed a special tool for this situation that I often use to "iron out" the burr with the barrel in place and the burr shown on the photo in the original post would be a very good candidate for this approach. Only rarely do I need to remove the barrel.

As for the "possibly get(ing) a non-factory quality job, and/or unmatched serial numbers", the owner already has a "factory job" that is defective. It also seems to infer that warranty repairs are substandard. If you ever feel this is the case, you should bring it up with the warranty station and as a last resort contact Eagle Imports. I truly believe that when I'm finished repairing a pistol, it is BETTER than when it was first taken out of its case. There is nothing special or magical about a serial number except the one on the frame which must by law remain inviolate. The quality or function of a barrel is the same regardless of whatever number is stamped on it. Would you prefer to have a defective barrel and matching serial number or a barrel that works?

Also, I've noticed quite a bit of discussion regarding whether a ramp should even be polished at all since this is thought to remove the "hard" anodizing from that surface. Personally, the anodizing appears to be only for color and corrosion resistance and is not particularly hard as far as I can tell. However, I have contacted the factory regarding this and will report back when I get an answer. Occasionally, I come across a feed ramp that has tiny ripples in the surface which catch the bullet nose, esp. HP, and which must be removed before polishing. Just polishing the ramp with the ripples still present will most often not solve the feeding problem. A smooth ripple is still a ripple and a catch point. I have ground/fitted/polished more than a few ramps over the years and have NEVER seen any indication of excessive/accelerated wear nor had a pistol come back for that reason.

Hope this helps out!
                Wolfgang

Look here for a follow-up on this thread.
                Last edited by pollyb; 09-13-2018, 03:56 PM. Reason: add: follow-up information
                Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
                http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
                503-429-7342

Comment

Working...
                X