This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed ramp burr on brand new Firestorm

Hi Y'all, I picked up a firestorm a couple days ago and took it for the maiden voyage... bad news

Every round (first through Nth) nosedives out of any of the magazines I have (from CC and combat models, aftermarket, both with metal/plastic followers).

Investigating closely, I noticed a burr on the feedramp. The jacket of the fiocchi .380 I was shooting was getting caught on this causing the pistol to fail to go into battery.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/RnH3DBH

Didn't matter whether I used the slide release or slingshotted it, still got hung up on the burr.

Hangs up so bad that if I rap the slide home I get setback on the jacket and had to toss those rounds.

I'd hate to send a new firearm in for warranty service and possibly get a non-factory quality job, and/or unmatched serial numbers.

Pressing out this barrel and polishing the ramp would probably do the trick.

1) How hard is it to press out a bersa barrel? Could it be done with an arbor press?

2) How to polish this burr off in situ without affecting the alloy frame?

I'm about an 8/10 in the gunsmithing department and have some tools, polishing compound, sandpaper, etc.

Thanks
    0 Links

Re: Feed ramp burr on brand new Firestorm

Sorry to hear your troubles. Pressing out and returning the barrel is most certainly a job for a warranty center. (the alloy frame could be damaged by improper tools and an inexperienced gunsmith)

Look here for warranty center repairs.

Or contact Wolfgang (ad at the top of the page) with questions.

good luck jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Try this before you send it in. That barrel and chamber have A LOT of the shipping goo that has hardened on the ramp and in the chamber. See if using some non-carbonated brake cleaner and vigorous rubbing with a nylon brush or even a tooth brush will cure your problem. By the way, welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here from some long time Bersa users.
      W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
      NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Comment

So that's not shipping goo, it's powder. I managed to put several hundred rounds through it by hammering on the back of the slide to get it into battery :)

Comment

Originally posted by pollyb View Post
          Sorry to hear your troubles. Pressing out and returning the barrel is most certainly a job for a warranty center. (the alloy frame could be damaged by improper tools and an inexperienced gunsmith)

Look here for warranty center repairs.

Or contact Wolfgang (ad at the top of the page) with questions.

good luck jab
          I'm not inexperienced. I've disassembled/reassembled at least 10 different handguns down to pins/springs. I've built rifles. About all I haven't done is build an AK from scratch or forge my own parts, but that's only for lack of tools.

Assuming I don't press out the barrel, how to go about smoothing out the feedramp?

Comment

Michael T., the late founder of this forum, called me a "jinx" when it came to pistols, so I'd send it to a warranty center to get it fixed.
            Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Seeing that it's brand new, I'm thinking pretty lowly of Bersa at the moment. I wrote their corporate center and they told me the same thing. Pretty weak customer service to have to send it in on my dime.

Comment

I am impatient and, as it turns out, lucky.

Using very small files, and going very slowly, I was able to straighten out the front of the barrel lip to eliminate the jagged burr.

I then lightly sanded the ramp and barrel lip with high grit sandpaper and buffed it with a dremel/ polishing compound.

The end result is that the gun now freely accepts FMJ and JHP rounds.

Will hit the range this weekend and we'll see how she does.

Comment

A much better approach than pressing out the barrel. Please update after your range trip.

PS Pictures of targets are always welcomed!

Comment

Originally posted by gonegun View Post
                    I am impatient and, as it turns out, lucky.

Using very small files, and going very slowly, I was able to straighten out the front of the barrel lip to eliminate the jagged burr.

I then lightly sanded the ramp and barrel lip with high grit sandpaper and buffed it with a Dremel/ polishing compound.

The end result is that the gun now freely accepts FMJ and JHP rounds.

Will hit the range this weekend and we'll see how she does.
                    Could you do our membership a favor? The original post you included a photo of the burr. Would you be kind enough to do a close up macro photo of your smithing work on this pistol? Yes, we are interested in the range report but a photo of the work done before you test it is vital to this thread.
                    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
                      Could you do our membership a favor? The original post you included a photo of the burr. Would you be kind enough to do a close up macro photo of your smithing work on this pistol? Yes, we are interested in the range report but a photo of the work done before you test it is vital to this thread.
                      You bet: https://imgur.com/a/s0B3aOh

However calling it "smithing" is very generous. I am not a trained gunsmith. THESE PHOTOS ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT/INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BLOW UP YOUR GUN AND/OR INJURE YOURSELF BY ATTEMPTING TO DO THIS AND/OR ANY SIMILAR MODIFICATIONS.

The burr was on the right hand side of the barrel lip in the downrange direction. You can see frame is lightly filed transverse of the bore. That was unavoidable because I had to file the very bottom of the barrel lip to get it square and it rests on the frame.. The only way to avoid marking up the frame would have been to remove the barrel and work on it separately.

The ramp and mouth of the bore are polished to a mirror finish, which at least looks a little bit better.

I don't think this will have any effect on the structural integrity of the pistol, but as I noted above, I'm not a gunsmith. I don't have .380 snap caps so I was using live ammo for testing. Lol.

The .380 rounds seat in the barrel just fine with only minor wiggle, so I don't think the headspacing is affected. The wiggle/seating (not technical terms) seems to be exactly the same in this Firestorm as it is in my .380CC.

So DO NOT try this!

I've said so much already, and I know it's a $250 pistol -- but Bersa should be ashamed to let things like this past their QC.

Here is a comparison image BEFORE/ AFTER: https://i.imgur.com/kCZvtXK.png
                      Last edited by gonegun; 08-11-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/Wz_DNrKVrQ8

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                          https://youtu.be/Wz_DNrKVrQ8

Amusing. Are you that funny in real life or only on the Internet?

Comment

Anyone want to explain to him what just happened?

"The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                              Anyone want to explain to him what just happened?

Well I saw your many posts advising against feed ramp polishing while researching this extensively before doing it.

https://www.bersachat.com/forums/sho...amp-on-a-Bersa
                              http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...sh-a-feed-ramp
                              http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...lish-yes-or-no
                              https://www.bersachat.com/forums/sho...5379-Polishing

You have a quite memorable avatar. Is that the look you were making while typing out that reply above, inviting others to ridicule/ criticize me?

If you have something to say then just say it. Try to remember that you don't know my reasons or ability.

Or maybe you'll allow me to "explain what just happened" -- I did whatever the **** I wanted to my own personal property (of low value, and shoddy manufacture, by the way). Now it feeds reliably.

Also, you might want to zoom in on the image showing that gigantic burr before you advise "just shoot it out". And if you're advising send it to Wolfgang (as others have done) no thanks. A $250 gun gets the bubba treatment. Something I'd never do on a quality firearm, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X