383-a NOS factory mag problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

383-a NOS factory mag problems

I've seen a few related threads but not on this exact problem, thought I would create new one to attract a response if anyone has input.

I have a 383-A that I purchased with one original mag - it functions perfectly. I purchased the mag in this photo recently on GB asssuming I was getting the correct part. While slightly different, a thin metal base plate on this one vs. a thicker plastic base plate w/ small finger rest extention on the one included with the gun and a different style follower in each, I see nothign that looks like it would affect function.

Despite that, the mag seems to hang up on insertion and extraction and when loaded doesn't allow the slide to function correctly at all.

Is this factory mag not actually for my model gun? I avoided the pro-mag as I have one of those and it doesn't feed well. I thought I was getting NOS that would function flawlessly and am quite disappointed. The package and mag are labled 383A, Eagle Imports. Any input or similar experience?

Click image for larger version

Name:	383a mag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	603067

Re: 383-a NOS factory mag problems

The packaging appears to be correct for the late 80's time frame. Is there an inscription on the left "(BERSA) CAL..380 ACP INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA" ?

Compare the cutout/notch on the upper left of the mag body (where the slide lock engages the feeder platform). That notch is deeper/longer than most mags to allow the slide latch to function on the 383A. (if the notch is not deep enough the slide lock will try to engage and cause a drag on the slide)

I avoided the pro-mag as I have one of those and it doesn't feed well.
    A weak spring may be the culprit on your ProMag, see this thread
    http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...heat-treatment
    I don't recommend a Promag for carry but it could be used for practice.

regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111114_181541.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	595041

packaging and UPC on back both say 383A but stamped on the side of the mag is only the BERSA logo and "CAL .380 ACP"

the one I have that was included with the pistol is stamped as you describe.

The BERSA logo is very different on the two - looks right on the good mag, it's a typical font on the NOS mag - letters are much narrower.

Which section of notch are you referring to? Horizontal portion notched back towards center of stack or the depth of the rounded cut out from top to bottom of the mag?
      Last edited by mrjones5877; 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

The picture looks the same. You might check location and size of the mag latch slot on the upper right side. (A variance there can give the symptoms you describe.)

I've seen the packaging before and the logo markings you describe. I think in the transition period between the 383DA and the 383A the magazine production went through several changes and what you have may the result of one of those changes. Logo markings on the mags did not appear as we know them until the 383A was in full production ... I've seen 383A mags with no markings, witness slots on back instead of witness holes and platform feeders (followers) with a "spring tang" instead of the notch on the follower to activate the slide lock.

Originally posted by mrjones5877 View Post
        Which section of notch are you referring to? Horizontal portion notched back towards center of stack or the depth of the rounded cut out from top to bottom of the mag?
        The depth of the rounded cut out from top to bottom of the mag.

Without handling the mags and the gun .... I'm afraid that is about all I have to offer.

regards jab
        Long story short, jab is a male.
        Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Working...
        X