Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

383 DA scratch n dent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    383 DA scratch n dent

    Howdy doody!
    Got a 383 DA through an auction last week and picked it up yesterday. I love the look and feel, but it definitely has some problems. The price was fair. My palms are a bit too meaty for this gun, and I wore a hole in my thumb on that pronounced rear end.

    The slide catch is well worn. The slide wouldn't stay locked back without the magazine in place, and it wouldn't lock back on the last round.

    I don't condone this action to anyone else - yet -, but since the part is so hard to find, and for the sake of science I took a file to the vertical rear portion of the slide catch - the side that does the catching. There was half mm or so sticking out past the thumb tab to play with, and I filed it to an angle, but nearly square. I don't have a before picture, but I'll post an after next time it's apart.
    Long story short, the catch is working as it should, every time, at this point in time - 200 rounds. I will update with round counts if anyone cares.

    The wood grips were getting loose after only a magazine or two. On inspection they were slightly bowed outward - probably from being tightened over and over again. I sanded the flat sides until they met properly - not much, and I put some very small rubber o-rings underneath the grip screws. The screws stick out a lil bit, but not enough to notice or feel, and they made it through the 200 rounds without loosening up at all.

    The rear sight was wiggling out of the slide while I was shooting. I probably should have asked for advice on this first, but I turned it around and put the adjustment side in first. Doesn't feel like its going anywhere.

    The safety thumb lever broke in half either while I was shooting it or when I put it in the (wrong) holster. Not too worried about that, just kind of bummed out and surprised. It looked nice and well made. I don't ever keep a round chambered.

    Now for the real problems. In 200 rounds I had 12 or 15 light strikes, and 10 or 12 cartridges jammed on their way in - one nearly made it out the ejection port.
    I tried
    CCI Blazer - best results
    PPU Hollow point - second
    Some low grade steel case that I can't remember
    Perfecta - the worst

    The light strikes are odd, because the rest of the used casings have a serious dent in them, so I guess it has something to do with the safety, but I don't know where to go with that information.

    The feeding ramp looks well worn. Magazine is original I believe. The hollow points only jammed up once in the box, so that's a start, but any recommendations on ammo or things to inspect are gladly accepted.


    Cheers

    #2
    Re: 383 DA scratch n dent

    First welcome to Bersa Chat plumberbummer

    Originally posted by plumberbummer View Post
    Got a 383 DA through an auction last week and picked it up yesterday. I love the look and feel, but it definitely has some problems. The price was fair. My palms are a bit too meaty for this gun, and I wore a hole in my thumb on that pronounced rear end.
    Look for a sharp edge on the beavertail. Adjust you grip a little lower.

    Originally posted by plumberbummer View Post
    The slide catch is well worn. The slide wouldn't stay locked back without the magazine in place, and it wouldn't lock back on the last round.
    Watch for parts or parts kits for model 383DA and 383A. (same gun except for the mag and the mag well design)
    Watch Gunbroker and e bay.

    Originally posted by plumberbummer View Post
    The wood grips were getting loose after only a magazine or two. On inspection they were slightly bowed outward - probably from being tightened over and over again. I sanded the flat sides until they met properly - not much, and I put some very small rubber o-rings underneath the grip screws. The screws stick out a lil bit, but not enough to notice or feel, and they made it through the 200 rounds without loosening up at all.
    If they loosen up again put a little BLUE Loctite on the screws, let them set a few minutes then screw them in. Blue loctite will allow you to remove them without heat.

    Originally posted by plumberbummer View Post
    The rear sight was wiggling out of the slide while I was shooting. I probably should have asked for advice on this first, but I turned it around and put the adjustment side in first. Doesn't feel like its going anywhere.
    The rear sight has three parts....blade, spring and screw. BLUE loctite again on the screw. Find the "sweet spot" mark the sight then remove the screw loctite it let it dry then screw to the "sweet spot" note: any time you move the sight reapply loctite.

    Originally posted by plumberbummer View Post
    The safety thumb lever broke in half either while I was shooting it or when I put it in the (wrong) holster. Not too worried about that, just kind of bummed out and surprised. It looked nice and well made. I don't ever keep a round chambered.
    Actually this is the decocker. and once decocked it should be moved to the up position and the hammer pulled back to the first "safety" notch to carry one in the chamber. Again parts for the 383DA or 383A will work.

    Originally posted by plumberbummer View Post
    Now for the real problems. In 200 rounds I had 12 or 15 light strikes, and 10 or 12 cartridges jammed on their way in - one nearly made it out the ejection port.
    I tried
    CCI Blazer - best results
    PPU Hollow point - second
    Some low grade steel case that I can't remember
    Perfecta - the worst

    The light strikes are odd, because the rest of the used casings have a serious dent in them, so I guess it has something to do with the safety, but I don't know where to go with that information.

    The feeding ramp looks well worn. Magazine is original I believe. The hollow points only jammed up once in the box, so that's a start, but any recommendations on ammo or things to inspect are gladly accepted. Cheers
    Light strikes = spray firing pin hole/channel with Brake Parts Cleaner until it runs clear.

    Stay away from steel cased ammo and Winchester White Box with blunt tip FMJ can cause issues.
    When you find something that runs good stay with it.

    The current production Recoil spring and magazine spring will work fine for replacements.

    Look here for history and a narrative on disassembly/assembly tips.

    Keep it clean and lightly oiled.

    Magazines are very hard to find...good luck

    Whew, that's all I have to offer for now. regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

    Certified Armed Infidel

    Comment


      #3
      Re: 383 DA scratch n dent

      Welcome to Bersa Chat plumberbummer. Looks like Pollyb has all your questions covered.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

      Certified Armed Infidel

      Right Wing Extremist

      Comment


        #4
        Re: 383 DA scratch n dent

        Decocker is easily replaced. Think Pollyb posted the procedure somewhere in here.
        Certified Armed Infidel

        Comment


          #5
          Re: 383 DA scratch n dent

          Originally posted by grworrall View Post
          Decocker is easily replaced. Think Pollyb posted the procedure somewhere in here.
          Yes, Look here for history and a narrative on disassembly/assembly tips.
          Long story short, jab is a male.
          Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

          Certified Armed Infidel

          Comment

          Working...
          X