Model 85/86 parts & modifications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model 85/86 parts & modifications

Whats up people, New to the forum here and was just wondering if there is a way to modify thunder or firestorm series grips to fit the old model 85 frame?? Does anyone know of a site/place that sells the mag extension (butt plate) for double-stack mags?? Are there any double-stack mags selling out there for less than $50-$100 a piece?? Any help or advice is appreciated!! Thanks!!

Re: Model 85/86 parts & mods

First welcome to Bersa Chat,

Originally posted by Oldschool85 View Post
    New to the forum here and was just wondering if there is a way to modify thunder or firestorm series grips to fit the old model 85 frame??
    Not the standard model, possibly the Plus model but it would have a notch for the slide release on the left side.

Does anyone know of a site/place that sells the mag extension (butt plate) for double-stack mags??
    Look here on Eagle Imports http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/...ne-bottom.html

Are there any double-stack mags selling out there for less than $50-$100 a piece??
    Doubtful, if you find and 85/86 mag jump on it, they are few and far between.

Some have reported success modifying the catch slot on the Thunder Plus 15 round mag (available here http://www.bersa.com/magazines/bersa...-magazine.html)

regards jab

p.s. Check your PM's (private messages).
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

The Model 85, pictured above, had no external slide lock, and the mag release on the frame behind the trigger pin, much like the current BT380.

The Thunder 380 Plus, the current iteration of the Model 85, is very similar, except for the external slide lock and the magazine release located lower on the front strap near the bottom of the trigger guard. It looks like the rubber wrap-around grip of the Plus could be made to fit the Model 85 with a minimum of modding.

The 85/86 magazine on the left is also very similar to the BT380 Plus magazine on the right. You'd need to cut a notch for the magazine catch, using your own magazine as a pattern.

I'm not saying that any of this is guaranteed to work. I'm just saying that it looks like it could be made to work if you're willing to roll the dice on a set of new grips and a magazine, available at www.condorsflight.com .

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. And welcome to Bersa Chat.
      Last edited by p-t-max; 05-07-2011, 09:39 AM.
      I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Comment

My mistake, it looks like the Thunder 380 Plus grips are not available at Condor's Flight. However, they're available at Eagle Imports, for $24 here: http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/...lus-grips.html

Comment

SWEET!!! Thanks to both of you for the awesome info!! I'm gonna check into this..........So glad I joined........Thanks!! :)

Comment

Oldschool85, if you decide to proceed with either of these mods, please check back and let us know if you were successful and what if any problems you had. We're always interested in hearing about this kind of stuff.

Incidentally, 15 round Thunder 380 Plus magazines are also available at Eagle Imports, if you'd like to cut down on your shipping costs.

Comment

Sounds like it's worth a try to me..........Time to break out the dremel tool.........With a little time and a careful hand, I think it would work just fine. We shall see, I'll keep you guys posted when I get it here and finish it.......Thanks again for the great info!!!! :)

Comment

Let me know how it works as I have recently gotten a Model 85 also...

Comment

Hi all...just joined up an already you folks have helped me out..I have a model 86..an only one clip..till I saw your suggestion on the BT380 plus clip..went to my local pawn shop an bought a new one...took it how in around 15 mins..had a model 86 clip...works great..was easy to do...now for the real deal...I am going to buy my wife a new 380 an try an modify all our mags the same...I'll let ya know if it all works out! thanks again for helping out!

Comment

Welcome to BC EastTexasShooter,

Thank you for your input on the mag mod. It's always nice when a plan comes together. Lots of good information here so look around and enjoy. Any and all contributions are appreciated.

regards jab

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Walked into a local gunshop that had misc clips (new). Found 2 that worked fine (tested both of them). Paid 50.00 for both. They are out there, just compare the original with a replacement. This is a model 85

Comment

Welcome to BC jbr8398,

Yes, they are out there and what a great find and price....were they 10 or 13 rounders?

regards jab

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Greetings all....I know this thread is a few years old but here goes...I'm a new member to this forum but a long time Bersa M85 owner. When I got my piece in the 80's, I neglected to get an additional magazine. I dropped out of shooting/hunting/reloading many years ago and now getting back into the hobby since I retired and have lots of time (but not much $$$). Anyhow, I've been rearranging my inventory of guns by selling some and replacing with others and in general updating my collection. One of the updates is to get a second magazine for the M85. I can't afford a new one for $100 so this Thunder 380 Plus idea seems to be the solution.

Carving a notch in the Thunder 380 Plus magazine appears to be straight forward but before I go ahead with the project, I don't want to flush $40+ down the toilet if I hose the job. So, is this a slam dunk if it's done carefully? I don't see oldschoolM85's report on his results modifying the magazine.

By the way, the Bersa M85 is one terrific gun but my carry piece is a Sig P238 mainly because of its size. My car is a C5 Corvette which does not leave much room for anything in a side holster. If I was driving my truck ('78 Ford E250), well anything goes.

Thanks in advance for replies....Fred (K1NVY)...

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat vulcan73. OldschoolM85 hasn't posted anything since that last post you refer to, but might try sending him a PM.
                            Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I did send him a PM but no reply yet. I've decided to go ahead and acquire the Thunder 380 PLus magazine, make the notch mod and post my results. Stay tuned....

Comment

Working...
                              X