Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

    Hello all, Im new to the forum. I have a Model 83 and it has been a great little pistol. However, recently the extractor decided to jump off of the gun. How can I have this repaired? It seems like no one in Columbia, SC does any gunsmithing on Bersa's.

    Thanks
    Everybody has a fight or flight instinct. But when you just cant physically run... well... its pretty much been narrowed down for you then.

    #2
    Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

    I wonder if the parts for the Thunder 380 could work. You'd need the extractor, spring and pin. Then a pin punch and a hammer and you're back in business.

    http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/...extractor.html

    Here's the extractor at Eagle Imports parts catalog.

    Below is a Slideshow showing how to replace the extractor. It shows a 9UC, but the BT380 is basically the same set-up.

    http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
    Last edited by p-t-max; 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!


    http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

      Hello, HugeMetz and welcome.

      I'm not sure about the compatibility with current production? Anyone?
      There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

        Welcome HughMetz,

        Many parts can be substituted between models, I have not tried the extractor but
        I would try the current production parts which you can find here

        http://www.bersa.com/extractor-5.html
        TP380A5 - Extractor $8.00

        http://www.bersa.com/extractor-spring.html
        TP22A6 - Extractor Spring $1.00

        http://www.bersa.com/extractor-pin-1.html
        TP22A1/2 - Extractor Pin $1.00

        There is probably about $12.00 s&h so you may want to order these items while you are at it

        http://www.bersa.com/recoil-spring-2.html
        TP380A9 - Recoil Spring $8.00

        http://www.bersa.com/feeder-platform-spring-3.html
        TP380C4 - Feeder Platform Spring $1.00

        Of course, you could contact a Warranty center found here
        http://www.bersachat.com/forums/foru...Repair-Centers.

        Let us know what you do.

        Good luck jab
        Long story short, jab is a male.
        Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

        Certified Armed Infidel

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

          Well... Due to some unforseen life events, the Bersa is still sitting idle. I've actually cleaned it twice (not that that was necessary, since it hasnt been shot since the extractor broke) and am now back on track to have it fixed. Found a gunsmith that will do the work for free if I get him the parts (As long as he gets to do the trigger job in my new S&W 642 when I finally retire my Model 36). So... hopefully the Bersa will be up and running soon. Also, thanks jab, for recommending those other items. I figure it might be a good opportunity to do a full tune up. I really like the Bersa 83 and I really need to get it up and running again. I almost feel guilty... probably why Ive cleaned it twice. Lol.
          Everybody has a fight or flight instinct. But when you just cant physically run... well... its pretty much been narrowed down for you then.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

            trigger job in my new S&W 642


            Good luck on a trigger job worth a dam. The 642 is MIM parts.( Molded Injected metal ) They don't take well to reworking as their not real solid steel The 36 has real steel parts it can be worked on . I carry a 1955 3" pre model 36 when I carry a 38 spl revolver Or a Model 49 bodyguard . That's a 49 no -
            Sorry S&W are no longer the pistols they were years ago. I suggest you just dry fire it about 500 times That be about good as you will get . He may cut springs and such. But the question is how long will it last before it miss fires or breaks . I have saw good S&W ruined by so called smiths and their trigger jobs. Most cut a couple coils on the spring It lightens the trigger a bunch. This is great till spring get a little mileage then light strikes. No what I want on a SD pistol.

            When I find a good Old S&W I buy it then or layaway . I know it has a real 1 piece barrel real fitted trigger parts . Not a barrel with a shroud. I know the pistol was fitted by real craftsman . Not just stuffed with computer poped out molded parts fit by anyone they hire.
            I have a 1915 S&W I shoot and have even been know to carry at times. Doubt if any of these new pistols will be around in 90+ years still working.

            I would keep the 36 carry and sell the newer one. Just my 05 .
            Certified Armed Infidel


            “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.


            John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

            The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

            11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

            "Just say "Lay A Way"

            "WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

            SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS



            TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

              Originally posted by HugeMetz View Post
              Also, thanks jab, for recommending those other items. I figure it might be a good opportunity to do a full tune up. I really like the Bersa 83 and I really need to get it up and running again. I almost feel guilty... probably why Ive cleaned it twice. Lol.
              Your quite welcome, let us know how the parts work out.

              regards jab
              Long story short, jab is a male.
              Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

              Certified Armed Infidel

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

                A strange thing happened to me at the range today ... well to my buddy. He was shooting my brand new BT380 Plus (about 200 rds total on the second range trip) and the extractor jumped off! Dang .... I hate it when that happens..... and the gun was such a good shooter! Not a single FTF or FTE or other problem until the extractor decided to self eject!

                The Great Swammie predicts that Reyerson's is going to be getting a package from Michigan in the near future. Sigh.

                -Pondy

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

                  Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                  Good luck on a trigger job worth a dam. The 642 is MIM parts.( Molded Injected metal ) They don't take well to reworking as their not real solid steel The 36 has real steel parts it can be worked on . I carry a 1955 3" pre model 36 when I carry a 38 spl revolver Or a Model 49 bodyguard . That's a 49 no -
                  Sorry S&W are no longer the pistols they were years ago. I suggest you just dry fire it about 500 times That be about good as you will get . He may cut springs and such. But the question is how long will it last before it miss fires or breaks . I have saw good S&W ruined by so called smiths and their trigger jobs. Most cut a couple coils on the spring It lightens the trigger a bunch. This is great till spring get a little mileage then light strikes. No what I want on a SD pistol.

                  When I find a good Old S&W I buy it then or layaway . I know it has a real 1 piece barrel real fitted trigger parts . Not a barrel with a shroud. I know the pistol was fitted by real craftsman . Not just stuffed with computer poped out molded parts fit by anyone they hire.
                  I have a 1915 S&W I shoot and have even been know to carry at times. Doubt if any of these new pistols will be around in 90+ years still working.

                  I would keep the 36 carry and sell the newer one. Just my 05 .
                  Hey all. I ended up keeping the 36. The 642 just didn't have the same soul. Its in rotation with the Model 83 now depending on weather. My friend bought the 642 off me and unfortunately I had to use that money to fix my truck. A S&W M&P9 is going on layaway soon but it wont replace the 36 and Model 83 entirely. The weather here is mostly shorts and tshirt so there a place for pocket jframes and small single stack guns 75% of the time. With those two stocked with Hornady CD I feel well enough protected as I don't get into too many bad parts of town.
                  Everybody has a fight or flight instinct. But when you just cant physically run... well... its pretty much been narrowed down for you then.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

                    Originally posted by HugeMetz View Post
                    Hey all. I ended up keeping the 36. Its in rotation with the Model 83 now depending on weather.
                    Good move

                    Did the Model 83 extractor parts drop-in or have to be fitted? Did you do it or have it done?

                    regards jab
                    Long story short, jab is a male.
                    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

                    Certified Armed Infidel

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

                      Wow! Sorry for the less than timely reply. Most of the parts dropped right in. The extractor had to be modified. Seems they made the claw beefier and while the part fit it did not allow a cartridge to seat properly. Had it ground down and now its back in action.
                      Everybody has a fight or flight instinct. But when you just cant physically run... well... its pretty much been narrowed down for you then.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

                        Thanks for the reply.....good to know information.

                        regards jab
                        Long story short, jab is a male.
                        Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

                        Certified Armed Infidel

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Broken Extractor on Bersa Model 83 (Pre-Thunder)

                          Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post

                          The Great Swammie predicts that Reyerson's is going to be getting a package from Michigan in the near future. Sigh.

                          -Pondy
                          Glad this came back to the top. I sent my BT380 Plus to Reynersons and Nick installed a new extractor and pin. Quick turn around and I haven't had a single problem since! Thanks Reynersons!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X