Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini firestorm.45 frame pitting/critical.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dahondaboy
    started a topic Mini firestorm.45 frame pitting/critical.

Mini firestorm.45 frame pitting/critical.

I have a mini firestorm 45 that has been having issues with the barrel not dropping/pivoting to allow the slide to come back. I just happened to notice a chunk of metal has come out of where the barrel hooks in the frame (pic3). Im horrified i wont find a replacement frame so I'm considering tig and filing it back. My only concern is what is the frame made from? And alloy for sure but what is in the aluminum and have any of you done repair like this. 20180701_115514.jpg20180701_115615.jpg20180701_115442.jpg

• wolfgang the gun doctor
    replied
    Re: Mini firestorm.45 frame pitting/critical.

I'm not sure if I completely understand the situation and the exact part involved, so I may be off on some points.
    If it's the part I think it is, it in steel, not aluminum and can be replaced.
    The frame is legally THE "firearm", so obtaining another frame would involve all the 4473 b.s. just like purchasing a new, complete firearm.

For ANY firearm I would strongly recommend NEVER welding up an aluminum frame. Aluminum is quite tricky to weld esp. w/o knowing the alloy. Aluminum welding almost always causes warpage. Also, in most cases, the entire frame would need to be annealed/heat-treated to eliminate residual stresses and prevent cracking in the weld vicinity. Only in the case of an extremely valuable firearm and using an expert welder would I ever consider this.

Please feel free to send me a good phone # and time to call and I'll be glad to discuss this w/ and go over some possibilities.

Wolfgang
    503-429-7342
    [email protected]
    Last edited by wolfgang the gun doctor; 09-07-2018, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dahondaboy
    replied

I just picked it up from a pawn shop for $275

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied

Welcome to Bersa Chat Dahondaboy. Wish I could help, but that's all above my head. PHMadness should be the one you talk to, or a warranty 'Smith. Are you the original owner?

Leave a comment:

• PHMadness
    replied

Something isnt passing the sniff test here. The piece the barrel cams down on is steel, it almost looks like it's in backwards. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but if it is you'd have to have taken the slide release out to do it. Not your average field strip. The round tube is the bore for the slide release, if you remove the tube you can slide the camming piece down and to the rear, where it will come out the side.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X