This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Fiber Bersa Thunder Front Sight Conversion - Request for Input

I would like to ask the participants on the BersaChat forum for input regarding any interest in having the front sights on their Bersa Thunder 380 series converted to an optic fiber system (not sure if I can convert the CC model at this point). If there is enough interest, I would like to start offering this service.

I first wish to give credit to Mr. Vito Glisenti for the inspiration for this project.

I think I have determined a cost-effective way to convert the existing front sight to an optic fiber style. In order to do this, I would only need the slide sent in, not the entire pistol. Slides can be sent thru the U.S. Mail or any carrier w/o any licenses or regulations to deal with that I know of. However, there may be state or local regulations in the more Communized states. It should be just like shipping a book or box of candy.

As I see it, there are 3 main problems w/ ready-made optic fiber sights:
    1. You must find someone who makes them and I dont think anyone makes them for the BT 380 series.
    2. You or your local gunsmith must remove the old sight and install the new one. This can result in a broken sight, damaged finish and you must then re-sight the pistol since the sight has been removed. Especially w/ the older staked-in sights, removal/replacement is problematic at best and some of the dovetailed sights can be just about as difficult.
    3. You must pick a color for your sight and it may not be the one best suited to your needs.

I think Ive figured out a way to address all these issues:
    1. I wont make a sight, but rather convert your existing front sight in place for use with any suitable optic fiber.
    2. The front sight will NOT be removed, so you should not need any adjustments install, test, and you should be fine to go.
    3. I intend to supply (5) different colors that you can temporarily install to determine which is best for your needs. Permanently installing the fiber color of your choice is quick & easy. However, if so ordered, I would be glad to permanently install the color of your choice.
    4. I could also convert other sights, but thought Id start with the BT 380s.

So, heres what Id like to have as feedback from the forum members:
    • Would you be interested in having such a conversion?
    • The price range at this point would be in the $50 - $75 range depending on the sales volume. This price would include return shipping. Keep in mind that most replacement sights run in the $50 - $85 range and do not include shipping or removal/installation of the existing sight. You would get back the sight that you sent in and in the same position. What do you think of the pricing?
    • I would need the slide sent in, but should provide a turn-around time of only a few days. You should have it back in about 1-1/2 weeks or less. Would this be quick enough?
    • I think 0.060 (1/16) diameter fiber would be the best size as it is one of the most common sizes and is about the largest that can be fitted in a standard Bersa Thunder 380 series front sight. Would this size be acceptable, or would you prefer another?

I would also like to hear any comments, suggestions or constructive criticisms the members may have. Thank you in advance for you interest and participation.

You can contact me via PM,email [email protected] or 503-429-7342.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Wolfgang
    Last edited by wolfgang the gun doctor; 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM.
    Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
    http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
    503-429-7342

Re: Optic Fiber Bersa Thunder Front Sight Conversion - Request for Input

Many folks have both types of sights. In my experience,a laser is virtually useless in bright light. The battery will run down at some point, and the laser itself might fail for whatever reason.
    The optic fiber is is immune to all these shortcomings, is virtually indestructible, and remarkably bright even in low light conditions. It's dead-nuts simple and simple generally goes hand in hand w/ reliability.
    But then I'm a bit of a simpleton in these areas.

Originally posted by groberts
    Thanks Johm_R. If I didn't have lasers I would probably do this.
    Last edited by wolfgang the gun doctor; 07-11-2018, 04:49 PM.
    503-429-7342

Comment

Don't intend to be discourteous, but I asked for input and it became a discussion on the merits of different sights. So, I've removed the posts that don't provide input on my original questions so that we can get back on topic. Thanks to the folks who did answer. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Just completed my first optic fiber conversion on a Grand Power P1 Mk12 and wanted to attach a couple of photos. The rear view isn't very good. I just couldn't get a decent photo w/o the flash and the flash hides the glow of the sight. The side view shows the final product more clearly. The plastic zip-lock bag contains an extra green fiber plus one ea. in red & yellow. The extras are "mushroomed" on one end and cut to length. Changing out colors is as simple as cutting out the existing one, installing the desired color and quick heat w/ a lighter or even a match will melt the front end to hold the fiber securely in place.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by wolfgang the gun doctor; 08-05-2018, 06:11 PM.
      503-429-7342

Comment

Just for our members' information, this forum has a special Moderator who has complete control of any post or thread in "Smithing and Fixing" this is Wolfgang the Gun doctor.

Our staff appreciates our members understanding that everything that is posted here goes through Wolfgang.
        In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

i'm sure pics don't do it justice, what do you think / is it a winner?

Comment

If you've already done one, I sure would like to see what one looks like. I'm having trouble picturing how the downward slope small front sight would hold the fiber secure. I might be interested and was wondering if the possibility would exist for a custom rear fiber mounted in the dovetail as well? btw - Sorry if I may have added a post earlier that strayed from your original question.

Comment

Hello,

Any chance you can do this for the Firestorm 380's pinned front sight? It is kind of like the GI 1911- staked in, rather than drifted.

Oh, BTW- my stepdad grew up in Vernonia in the 1940s and 50s. His mom and one sister lived there until the early 2000s [mom] and about 4 years ago [sister]. He moved out sometime in the 1960s, I believe. Now he's in Idaho.

Comment

Unfortunately not; it's just to short and there would not be enough optic fiber to catch any significant amount of light. You'd probably be better off w/ one of the luminescent paints. There are many different kinds and I don't know enough about them to make an informed recommendation.
                The wife and I have been here about 25 years. Great place to live!
                W

Originally posted by bczrx View Post
                Hello,

Any chance you can do this for the Firestorm 380's pinned front sight? It is kind of like the GI 1911- staked in, rather than drifted.
                Oh, BTW- my stepdad grew up in Vernonia in the 1940s and 50s. His mom and one sister lived there until the early 2000s [mom] and about 4 years ago [sister]. He moved out sometime in the 1960s, I believe. Now he's in Idaho.
                503-429-7342

Comment

I'm attaching 2 photos of a Grand Power P1 Mk.12 that I recently converted to optic fiber. The small zip-lock bag in the side view has an extra replacement of red, green & yellow OFs cut to length and ready to be installed, which I send out with each conversion. It is quite easy to swap them out. Photos aren't the best, but it should give you a good idea of what it would look like on a Bersa Thunder. The owner of this pistol and a BT 380 I recently converted emailed me and stated they really liked the new sight and thought it was significant improvement.

No problem re. your posts. It is so easy to go off in many directions during the course of a discussion, esp. w/ firearms! Most of us just love them and want to talk about them and exchange info.

Originally posted by MtnMan75 View Post
                  If you've already done one, I sure would like to see what one looks like. I'm having trouble picturing how the downward slope small front sight would hold the fiber secure. I might be interested and was wondering if the possibility would exist for a custom rear fiber mounted in the dovetail as well? btw - Sorry if I may have added a post earlier that strayed from your original question.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by wolfgang the gun doctor; 08-23-2018, 01:28 PM.
                  503-429-7342

Comment

Well, all of the folks I've done this for seem to think so and I'd have to agree. I'll try to remember to take couple photos of the next BT 380 I do and post them.
                    I posted a couple of photos of a Grand Power in another reply showing the conversion.

Originally posted by Vito Glisenti View Post
                    i'm sure pics don't do it justice, what do you think / is it a winner?
                    503-429-7342

Comment

Working...
                    X