Thunder 380 deluxe mag in regular Thunder 380

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunder 380 deluxe mag in regular Thunder 380

So I ordered one 9 round mag just to make sure everything would cycle fine with the 9 round mag in the regular Thunder 380... I noticed some differences on the top of the magazine. The steel 'rails' on the top of the magazine that the follower pushes against is forward of the 7 round mags by a bit over 1/16" inch, and I found this caused jams as the round can't angle up soon enough to enter the breech. Had to mirror the shape of the 7 round mag top and also had to lightly sand and polish the back side of the follower as it had horrible bumps from the grinding they did at the factory and now everything cycles through it easily. The other benefit after having done this was it became way easier to load than right out to the package. You could only get a tiny bit of the front end of the casing in which to push the back end of the next bullet down onto before sliding it back into the magazine. Never had a mag designed like that before. Either way... works beautifully now that I've made the top of it just like the 7 round mags. So now... time to order some more

Re: Thunder 380 deluxe mag in regular Thunder 380

during disassembly / cleaning / inspection of new mags for my Bersa's i've found unsettling burrs and sharp edges on the followers also, and at least 1 spring in backwards. your DLX mag is factory Bersa or Mec-Gar? Promag? glad you could tweak it into submission

Comment

I have a DLX with 3 mags. They all work in my other two standard 380 Thunders, no problems or adjustments needed.
      Granted, I purchased the DLX used and I'm not sure how many rds had been through the mags. Maybe they were worn in enough or maybe it's just newer mags that have issues?
      (3) Bersa Thunder .380's
      ≡≡≡1- Nickel Plated≡≡≡
      ≡≡≡≡2- Duo Tone ≡≡≡≡
      ≡≡≡3- Blued Deluxe≡≡≡
      <And a 9rd mag for each>

تناول المزيد من لحم الخنزير المقدد

Comment

This was a brand new Bersa factory mag. Maybe something has changed recently and this would work just fine in a Deluxe (I wouldn't know as I don't own one). The rails never allowed the round to angle up to the breech in my standard and it jammed each try. I still haven't ordered some more yet though. When I can get some money to order two more (kids taking priority at the moment $$), I'll post back to this thread if they are the same.

Comment

Just ran across this photo I forgot I had taken on my camera before I made the new 9 round mag in the back match the shape of my old 7 round.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	9 and 7 round mag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	601045
          Attached Files

Comment

Great info,thanks!
            I haven't run across this problem, but will check it out the next time one comes in for warranty repair.
            Wolfgang

Originally posted by MtnMan75 View Post
            So I ordered one 9 round mag just to make sure everything would cycle fine with the 9 round mag in the regular Thunder 380... I noticed some differences on the top of the magazine. The steel 'rails' on the top of the magazine that the follower pushes against is forward of the 7 round mags by a bit over 1/16" inch, and I found this caused jams as the round can't angle up soon enough to enter the breech. Had to mirror the shape of the 7 round mag top and also had to lightly sand and polish the back side of the follower as it had horrible bumps from the grinding they did at the factory and now everything cycles through it easily. The other benefit after having done this was it became way easier to load than right out to the package. You could only get a tiny bit of the front end of the casing in which to push the back end of the next bullet down onto before sliding it back into the magazine. Never had a mag designed like that before. Either way... works beautifully now that I've made the top of it just like the 7 round mags. So now... time to order some more
            Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
            http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
            503-429-7342

Comment

i wonder if those extended feed lips are an overlooked hold-over from the 32ACP variant?

i've been wanting a good look at a 32mag for a while, hard enough to find somebody that has one and harder to get them interested enough to post a pic

Comment

A great and insightful point!
                That's one of the many things I like about this forum. Even though I have worked on Bersas, etc. for years and repaired into the thousands of them, I find myself learning new stuff/ideas here all the time.
                Thanks!
                Wolfgang
                P.s: If I get one of the 32 ACPs in, I'll try to remember this thread and share my findings.

Originally posted by Vito Glisenti View Post
                i wonder if those extended feed lips are an overlooked hold-over from the 32ACP variant?
                i've been wanting a good look at a 32mag for a while, hard enough to find somebody that has one and harder to get them interested enough to post a pic
                Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
                http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
                503-429-7342

Comment

Working...
                X