This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow up: Feed ramp burr on brand new Firestorm

My last post on this topic was closed for being "derailed", after a long digression regarding the wisdom of polishing the feedramp to get rid of a burr.

In that thread, someone requested that I follow up after a range trip. I finally made it to the range this weekend and guess what? Shot 100 ball rounds and 15 hollow point using 7 different magazines, with plastic and metal followers with NO MALFUNCTIONS. That's right folks, polishing the feed ramp of my $250 gun was an absolutely great decision. The Firestorm is now a 100% reliable soft shooter that gobbles Fiocchi like there's no tomorrow. Perhaps that will change, but that would surprise me.

I was shooting at the bottom left corner, rapid fire, offhand at 15 yards. The holes in the center/top of the target are 9mm, so ignore those.

Re: Follow up: Feed ramp burr on brand new Firestorm

I'm glad it's working to your satisfaction, gonegun. What one does with his property is ultimately his decision. We're primarily interested in safety, not just for the owner, but all who read the threads as well.

BTW, good shooting, too.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Glad you got it working to your liking.
      My concern is the loss of the hard anodizing on the frame's feed ramp and its subsequent longevity. It may be something to keep an eye on.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Thanks for the follow up report. I'm glad it is working well.

Comment

Originally posted by TuxAir View Post
          Glad you got it working to your liking.
          My concern is the loss of the hard anodizing on the frame's feed ramp and its subsequent longevity. It may be something to keep an eye on.
          I always thought that anodizing was just for color. A machinist friend explained that HARD anodizing lets aluminum perform like harder metal. That is why Bersa owners should not polish their feed ramps unless you are willing to accept accelerated wear.

Comment

I've noticed a lot of discussion in this and other forums re. the anodizing, esp. on the feed ramp. Some folks though it was hard anodize and others not. It never seemed particularly hard to me, but I thought I should know this for certain so I went to the source.
            According to the chief engineer at Bersa, "The anodizing of the frame is just for color / corrosion resistance".
            So there you have it - the anodizing is not hard.

However, this should not encourage anyone to do ANY work to the feed ramp or ANY OTHER part either.

I was asking for clarification on a related point and unexpectedly found out that ANY alteration of a Bersa or any other product Eagle Imports sells, no matter how small, WILL VOID THE WARRANTY! Even something seemingly as simple as swapping sights as some are doing with the BP9CC & #8 Sig-Sauer sights will be considered a warranty-killer. The way I understand the policy is that even changing out grips for non-factory ones would void the warranty.

I'd definitely recommend not changing ANYTHING; it's just not worth the risk. I don't intend to alarm anyone, but just let folks know how little it takes to void the life-time warranty.

I certainly don't agree with this extraordinarily strict policy, but, of course, this is not my call to make. I don't have to agree with or even like a policy or rule, but must abide by it.

Originally posted by TuxAir View Post
            Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
            http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
            503-429-7342

Comment

Originally posted by gonegun View Post
              Shot 100 ball rounds and 15 hollow point using 7 different magazines, with plastic and metal followers with NO MALFUNCTIONS. That's right folks, polishing the feed ramp of my $250 gun was an absolutely great decision. The Firestorm is now a 100% reliable soft shooter that gobbles Fiocchi like there's no tomorrow. Perhaps that will change, but that would surprise me.
              Well, it's official by Bersa and a reminder to all members of this forum. This firearm has lost its lifetime warranty. If you don't care about a waranty it's your gun and your call not to send it into a Beras gunsmith. Wolfgang The Gundoctor's post just verifies any modification voids the warranty.

gonegun this isn't a personal call out of your modifications, but as an administrator of this forum, the members need to know the consequences of gunsmithing or any modifications the firearm in any way voids the warranty.
              In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Working...
              X