Thunder 380 CC jams and failure to feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunder 380 CC jams and failure to feed

Did you put a straight edge on the slide and frame and check that the barrel is straight along the frame ...using a true straight edge tool?

Comment

Originally posted by morgansfriend View Post
      Did you put a straight edge on the slide and frame and check that the barrel is straight along the frame ...using a true straight edge tool?
      Wow! I feel like such a fool for not checking such an obvious variable long ago. I will try to get to it tonight and will report back.

Comment

Alright, so I was able to get another look with a straight edge and noticed that one side of the slide was uneven:

The straight edge was "see sawing" on the left hand side of the slide near the indent for the slide catch. What I found next really set me back, considering how much I've been handling the gun recently; there was a very noticeable burr right where the edge was teetering. This is the "before" picture. If you click and zoom, you can see it almost directly under the inverted '9' on the straight edge. I filed the burr down, rechecked straightness, cleaned it, and went out to shoot it. No change. I repeated the process again, and am still encountering this slide issue. I really feel like the slide is catching on something, which is what is causing the slide failure to reset (and subsequent feed). Tomorrow I will go back and look at the slide and frame with fresh eyes.
        Last edited by AnInnocentBystander; 10-12-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnInnocentBystander View Post
          The straight edge was "see sawing" on the left hand side of the slide near the indent for the slide catch. What I found next really set me back, considering how much I've been handling the gun recently; there was a very noticeable burr right where the edge was teetering.
          That was the disconnector dimple I was thinking of, evidently that wasn't the issue.

Sent from space for your entertainment.
          "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I went ahead and tore into the gun again. I found another burr on the slide, but on the interior. This has been filed down. It is important to mention the pitting on the slide that is only present on one side. This was addressed in the past, but I decided to re-shave this area in particular to see if it would make a difference. At this point, I don't mind damaging the gun since I fear I have lost confidence in it, as long as I learn something in the process. Unfortunately, I am still encountering the "stuck slide" issue. Here are some photos for reference. You will need to view the pictures at full resolution to see the pits; one is located directly next to my index finger, the other slightly above my middle:

So, I was looking back through and saw that a poorly aligned extractor claw could be the culprit. Is that consistent with this pitting or...?

Thanks again to everyone who has provided help with this. I am still hopeful for a solution and will continue to try everyone's suggestions, even if the outcome isn't favorable. At the very least, I've learned a lot!
            Last edited by AnInnocentBystander; 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X