Smoothing out the lines on Thunder 380

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoothing out the lines on Thunder 380

This is my first post here, hope I don't break any rules! But has anyone essentially taken a file to their Thunder and smoothed out some of the lines that me conceal carry difficult, such as the beavertail and that little crescent on the trigger guard, let alone the really thick grips? In other words, make it a CC 380? I have my Thunder 380 and love it, but carrying it has always been difficult for me, and can't afford to drop the money on a CC

It has been done to varying degrees. The results can be very nice if you refinish it well. Duracoat or Cerakote are the usual methods.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I, too am new to both Bersa and Bersa Chat. I noticed an offering on eBay this morning for Bersa 380 CC parts. Included were the hammer, slide release and safety as well as other parts. The hammer, slide release, etc., as I understand it are the primary parts which differential the 380CC from the standarard Thunder 380. As to the tang, of course you can shorten it. However, the frame is an aluminum alloy and may have some sort of anodized finish (I don't know). If so, shortening it may cause oxidation problems. The sights on the CC are smaller and though I suspect that the rear sight could be replaced, the front sight is fixed. At some point, the expense of the conversion will exceed the cost of selling your Thunder 380 and applying the funds to a 380CC.

Others have incredibly more knowledge on Bersa than do I and will surely offer better advice than I can give.

In parting, let me say that during me many years as a detective with Atlanta PD, I carried several different weapons, including a S&W model 60, Browning Hi Power, Walther PPK/S and S&W 59 series revolvers/pistols without any modifications and never had any problem with one hanging up when I needed it except for once trying to quickly draw my weapon from an ankle holster and the was a clothing problem and not the fault of the weapon. After being released from the hospital, I never used an ankle holster again.

If you are going to carry your weapon completely hidden (belly band, ankle holster, etc.), you may have a problem bringing it to bear regardless of protrusions, which is rarely a good thing in a primary weapon.

Comment

I don't think there is much more one can do the T380 CC.
        If more is needed, you may should look to another firearm....like a kahr CM9 or CT 380?
        Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat. You may not have a choice in manner of dress, but I discovered that by changing the way I dress, I could hide just about anything I wanted to carry. The weight is what determines that, these days. Short of a change in dress, as already stated, save up your nickles & dimes, then trade it in.
          Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

First off, soon as you touch your gun's contours with a file you have totally destroyed its value.

Next, there just isn't all that much difference between a regular Thunder and a CC model, so if your method of carry won't accommodate your regular Thunder, it probably won't after you butcher it up either.

I carry mine in the lower front pocket of this vest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            It is a very light weight vest that you can wear with almost anything under a heavier coat, over a sweatshirt, whatever. There is PLENTY of room in that pocket for my 380 Plus. I just cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the pocket and put the cardboard in the pocket and put the gun behind the cardboard. It doesn't print AT ALL . It also comes in Tall sizes, and hangs low enough to totally conceal even an outside the waistband holster for a Bersa.

Comment

Originally posted by jimku View Post
              First off, soon as you touch your gun's contours with a file you have totally destroyed its value.

Next, there just isn't all that much difference between a regular Thunder and a CC model, so if your method of carry won't accommodate your regular Thunder, it probably won't after you butcher it up either.

I carry mine in the lower front pocket of this vest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              It is a very light weight vest that you can wear with almost anything under a heavier coat, over a sweatshirt, whatever. There is PLENTY of room in that pocket for my 380 Plus. I just cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the pocket and put the cardboard in the pocket and put the gun behind the cardboard. It doesn't print AT ALL . It also comes in Tall sizes, and hangs low enough to totally conceal even an outside the waistband holster for a Bersa.
              I would like to find some Lightweight Safari type shirts with 4 pockets and short sleeves for summer wear.
              Something like Clark Gable,James Bond ,Stewart Granger wore.
              I cant seem to find them for sale.

Comment

Closest I can find is at Cabelas. Only has 2 pockets though
                W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
                NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Originally posted by skiamachia View Post
                  This is my first post here, hope I don't break any rules! But has anyone essentially taken a file to their Thunder and smoothed out some of the lines that me conceal carry difficult, such as the beavertail and that little crescent on the trigger guard, let alone the really thick grips? In other words, make it a CC 380? I have my Thunder 380 and love it, but carrying it has always been difficult for me, and can't afford to drop the money on a CC
                  Replace it with a Thunder .380 CC. That's the easiest and best way to take care of the problem. I know you say you can't afford it, but what if you were to trade your pistol as part of the purchase? Just a thought.

Oh, and I have the 380cc. One of several pistols. Works great. That reminds me, when I have time to go to the range I need to shoot it some more. It's been a while.

Comment

Or just order a 380cc slide. Comes complete and fits the Thunder 380
                    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

You sure about that Bill? The CC shows to be .6" OAL shorter & barrel is .3" shorter.
                      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
                        Closest I can find is at Cabelas. Only has 2 pockets though
                        Thanks
                        I have a couple of these (One Navy and one Khaki)heading my way,100% cotton, figure I can just roll the sleeves up and wear them with Khaki Pants or Jeans.I got the long Length
                        https://www.propper.com/mens/shirts/...n-ripstop.html

I sent a Message to them and asked how big the Pockets were and got a reply back from a lady who said that the

Top Pockets are 5 -1/4 wide and 6-1/4 high
                        Bottom Pockets are wide 6-3/4 and 7-1/4 high

Bottom Pocket should hold the Thunder Plus

Comment

I have this thing about long sleeves. Think any come in short sleeves?
                          NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
                            I have this thing about long sleeves. Think any come in short sleeves?
                            I dont know but I went on you tube and found several tutorials on turning long sleeve shirts to short sleeve and seems real easy.
                            Looks like its less than a 15 minute or less process.

Comment

2015-05-12 07.43.18.jpg
                              Certified Armed Infidel
                              كافر

Comment

Working...
                              X