Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Bersa Thunder or Thunder Plus be converted to double action only ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can Bersa Thunder or Thunder Plus be converted to double action only ?

    Curious whether the Bersa Thunder or Thunder plus can be converted to Double action only?

    #2
    Not very easily nor cheaply. If you want a DAO I would suggest you get something already configured that way.

    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

    Certified Armed Infidel

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by pollyb View Post
      Not very easily nor cheaply. If you want a DAO I would suggest you get something already configured that way.
      So what has to be done to do this ?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by bcraig View Post
        So what has to be done to do this ?
        A lot. If you would care to find out ask Wolfgang The Gun Doctor, he may have the patience and time to explain it to you.
        Long story short, jab is a male.
        Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

        Certified Armed Infidel

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by pollyb View Post

          A lot. If you would care to find out ask Wolfgang The Gun Doctor, he may have the patience and time to explain it to you.
          Oh ok,
          I was thinking that YOU had done it and you could tell me.
          I will contact the person that you specified though and perhaps as you said he will have the time and patience to explain it to me.

          Thanks for your info

          Comment


            #6
            I doubt that anyone has undertaken this modification. I just don't understand why you would want to buy a DA/SA pistol and convert it. If I wanted a DAO pistol I would start out by buying one. I love all my Bersa's and the DA/SA trigger is one of the reasons why I love them. Another reason I love them is the lifetime support from Eagle Imports. I sure wouldn't want to modify one and ruin the gun or get questionable results.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
              I doubt that anyone has undertaken this modification. I just don't understand why you would want to buy a DA/SA pistol and convert it. If I wanted a DAO pistol I would start out by buying one. I love all my Bersa's and the DA/SA trigger is one of the reasons why I love them. Another reason I love them is the lifetime support from Eagle Imports. I sure wouldn't want to modify one and ruin the gun or get questionable results.
              Oh I imagine there are quite a few that would like a Dao for this pistol.
              I will explain the reasons that I would be interested.

              This would be for self defense
              a pistol for self defense is better when the trigger pull is always the same and less movements of safety’s and decockers.
              point and pull the trigger.
              Fine motor skills will go to h..l when in the heat of the moment as opposed to plinking or at the range.

              There are very few DAO pistols out there and fewer less that combine the 16 round capability of the Bersa Thunder Plus,the repeat strike capability,the almost revolver like longer double action pull,the price and relatively low recoil and decent stopping power.

              The main reason in my case for wanting a Dao Bersa Thunder Plus is that I think it would be perfect for my 83 year old mother.
              She is widowed and lives by herself.
              She has a 642 S&W which is a Dao 38 special revolver,5 shot.
              I would like for her to have more rounds at her immediate pull of the Revolver like Dao pull.
              She also has A Ruger LCP which is a 8 round capable pistol with the 7 round extended magazine I have in the pistol for her with the Dao pull .
              But because of the short grip on the pistol and the lightweight is difficult for her to handle due to recoil.
              in addition it does not have second strike capability and she is not strong enough to work the slide.

              As far as working on a gun I am almost 60 and have been working on and shooting since about 12 or so and have no qualms whatsoever modifying a gun to better suit my sense of asthetics or function.
              The same goes for vehicles,tractors Atvs etc.
              I grew up on a Agri farm and have on many occasions completely fabricated a part from scratch because the part could not be bought

              I have thought about this Quite a bit and come to the conclusion that for my Moms particular set of circumstances that the Bersa Thunder Plus I’n Dao would be the best for her,commonality of trigger pull with what she is used to shooting,relatively mild recoil,high capacity,second strike capability,nice grip for her to hang on to,good reliability,and no safety or decocker for her to have to remember to use.

              That is why I am interested in whether or not the pistol can be converted to DAO.
              If it can and I am relatively sure it can be then I can just use my sweat equality and do this.
              I have plenty of time as I am retired and disabled.

              Comment


                #8
                Bcraig, what you're looking for(and they are out there) is the 383DA. MADE FROM 1983 THROUGH 1988, they are dao and manufactured that way. Check out guns america, gunbroker and armslist. I still see them from time to time. All blued steel by the way.
                W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
                NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

                Comment


                  #9
                  There would have to be so much involved to pull this off that if you aren't a VERY competent gunsmith with a full shop of tools, and capable of designing a gun from scratch, you most likely would only render the gun inoperable. In a gun like the Bersa Thunder, in order for it to be DAO, the hammer would have to be made to follow the slide as the slide goes into battery. But not all the way else you would have a full-auto. Wolfgang can shed more light, but I am thinking it would probably entail a complete redesign of the internal parts, far more than simply modifying a few parts. If it is even possible.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The NAA Guardian has double-strike capability but is only 6+1 in capacity.

                    https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-380acp/
                    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
                      Bcraig, what you're looking for(and they are out there) is the 383DA. MADE FROM 1983 THROUGH 1988, they are dao and manufactured that way.
                      Clarication: The 383DA is not DAO it is in fact DA/SA. The 383DA was the first Bersa model with the DA function first round and SA for all succeeding rounds. All previous .380 models (97 and 383) were SA only.

                      Long story short, jab is a male.
                      Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

                      Certified Armed Infidel

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by jimku View Post
                        There would have to be so much involved to pull this off that if you aren't a VERY competent gunsmith with a full shop of tools, and capable of designing a gun from scratch, you most likely would only render the gun inoperable. In a gun like the Bersa Thunder, in order for it to be DAO, the hammer would have to be made to follow the slide as the slide goes into battery. But not all the way else you would have a full-auto. Wolfgang can shed more light, but I am thinking it would probably entail a complete redesign of the internal parts, far more than simply modifying a few parts. If it is even possible.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          If you really, really want to convert your perfectly fine Bersa Thunder 380 into a DAO trade if for a Ruger LC380. Or just have one of each like I do then you can satisfy your cravings on a daily basis.
                          Certified Armed Infidel

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I don't think Wolfgang or any Bersa warranty 'Smith would be responsible for altering a Bersa in that way, or telling someone how to do it, since their agreement with Eagle would probably forbid it.
                            Think Green.......Recycle Congress

                            Certified Armed Infidel

                            Right Wing Extremist

                            Comment


                              #15
                              The notion “a pistol for self defense is better when the trigger pull is always the same” is a common myth. Actually, an elder person will be better served with the Bersa Plus as it comes from the factory. With just a little practice she learn the first shot is a big squeeze and then little squeeze for extra shots. Accuracy necessary for defense will far easier to achieve with a stock Bersa rather than the modification you suggest. The double action only shooting you suggest is FAR more difficult than learning the simple transition of the Bersa Thunder. Accept the choice you have made and arrange for some live practice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X