Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small backup to the Thunder and Thunder Plus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small backup to the Thunder and Thunder Plus?

Do any of you carry a small backup for your Thunder or Thunder Plus? 22? 25? 32?

I have a little Taurus PT22 that I got to train myself for a DA only trigger similar to the pull of my Kahr MK40 Elite that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with even at 7 yards because I had never had a DA gun and only shot my DA/SA Taurus 41 Magnum Tracker using the SA mode. That looong, fairly heavy but smooth trigger on the Kahr was really screwing me up. The pull of the little PT22 is nearly identical. After a couple thousand rounds through the PT22, you DONT'T want me shooting at you with my MK40 Elite!

Strange thing happened. I fell in love with the little PT22. Mine has proven to be 100% reliable, not a single hiccup of any kind in at least 2,000 rounds! It had a VERY smooth trigger right out of the box. I felt pretty comfortable carrying just it in my blue jeans pocket on those really hot summer days with only a T shirt. 9 rounds of 22LR in the chest will stop just about anybody no matter what scoffers might say, and at 7 yards I could put them all in his HEAD. So it became my nightstand gun (no worry about over penetration and holes in the wall), and became my constant companion in my blue jeans pocket even when packing my 380 Bersa Thunder Plus in a vest pocket. One thing about the PT22 is that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to rack the slide unless you are a gorilla. The only way I can rack it is with a pair of vice grips. So, if there is ever a malfunction in a bad situation you are S.O.L. The wide finger extension on the magazines make carrying spare magazines tough and it wouldn't do you much good anyway unless you were very careful about counting rounds fired and swapped magazines while a live round was in the chamber because you can't rack the damned slide.

I just recently bought a Beretta Bobcat 22LR. The PT22 is patterned after the Bobcat but the Bobcat is DA/SA and I figured the SA trigger would be just a little quicker and a little more accurate. Out of the box the trigger of the Beretta was REALLY gritty ... in both modes. What I consider an AWFUL trigger. After dry-firing with drywall anchors for snap caps, about 500 pulls in each mode, all of the grittiness disappeared and the DA mode is long and smooth and the SA mode is clean and crisp at about 5 lbs. And I can rack its slide with no problem. It too has proven to be 100% reliable so far ... about 300 rounds. And I was right about the SA mode being a little more accurate. So now it lives in my blue jeans pocket. I polished the mat stainless slide and barrel with my trusty Dremel tool and metal polish and put some aftermarket rosewood grips on it. I got two spare magazines that I carry in my left blue jeans pocket.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jimku; 10-05-2019, 03:47 PM.

Thanks for the post jimku, I not having a PT22 didn't know that racking the slide was hard to do. I like mouse guns and it sounds like you do too. The "Cat" series of Beretta's have long been very popular.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

I have a 25 Beretta from 1979 and a 32 from about 2003. I don't carry them but now you have me thinking about it. I was at Cabela's in Grand Rapids last week and they had 2 used 25's for sale. I was with Sue and we were running late so I didn't have time to take a closer look ...... thanks to your post Jimku I want to go back!

Comment

Just a fyi, I don't have a Taurus, but, I have both a Beretta 32 and 22 which I really enjoy shooting. I found that racking the slide is a little tough unless you cock the hammer first, then it's a piece of cake.

Comment

The hammer spring arrangement on the Taurus is completely different than the Beretta. The Taurus has one VERY stiff hammer spring. The Berettas have two lighter springs, one on either side of the grip frame to run the slide and a separate hammer spring. There is no external hammer to cock on the Taurus so to rack the slide you have to overcome the entire full-on resistance of that stiff hammer spring. On the Beretta, you can cock the hammer, then easily rack the slide. I have seen videos of men built like gorillas easily racking the Taurus slide. But at 71 and not really strong, it is literally impossible for me to rack.

I thought about getting a 32 Beretta Tomcat instead of the 22 Bobcat, but saw several items on-line about problems with the frame cracking on the 32 Tomcats. Don't know if they have that corrected, but didn't want to chance it. I know the 22 is not exactly a noted "man-stopper", but there are more people killed by 22's than any other caliber so don't try to tell me they aren't lethal. Also, I grew up on a farm/ranch shooting 22s a LOT eradicating varmints, gophers, jack rabbits and such. Do you know what we and all of our neighbors used to dispatch a cow for butchering? A 22 pistol to the brain. One shot dropped them like a sledge hammer. I wouldn't recommend one of these itsy little pocket rockets to someone who can't shoot well. But I am utterly confident that I can empty one into a circle the size of the bottom of a large coffee mug at 7 yards rapid fire every time without fail (the size of a bad guy's forehead). If one shot can drop a cow, one shot there will drop a bad guy like a sack of wet manure.

I have gained utter 100% confidence in my Bersa Thunder Plus. Mine is absolutely 100% reliable. I love it. I prefer to carry it in a large strong-side outside vest pocket. I have several such vests. I can walk around with my hand in that pocket without raising any eyebrows or telegraphing anything. It is quicker than reaching into a concealed inner gun pocket on those same vests, which does raise eyebrows and does telegraph a warning. But there are days here that are hotter than the hubs of hell, too hot to wear anything but a T shirt, and I need to wear suspenders, so anything that would hide a belt holster means wearing to two shirts ... just too hot. On those days I usually pack my little 22 in my right jeans pocket and my Bond Arms 45 Colt derringer in my hip pocket. Only two shots, but cannons.

BOND 45 COLT.jpg
          This thing is a handful to shoot and it has a quirky trigger to master, but recoil isn't really all that bad, the sights are good and dead on, and it is surprisingly accurate. NO problem AT ALL getting both shots in the boiler room at 15 yards. Just remember that at that distance the top barrel shoots about 2" higher than the bottom barrel and that the sights are dead on for the bottom barrel. You can set it up so your first shot is either barrel when you load it. I set it up for the first shot to be the bottom barrel and then just aim a little low for the 2nd shot. This is probably the funnest gun to shoot that I own. It's just a hoot. Just something about it and those big fat cartridges, the loading / ejecting machinations ... whatever ... it's just a barrel of fun little hand-cannon.
          Not a bad combination with this

BERETTA BOBCAT 01.JPG
          Last edited by jimku; 10-06-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I carry a Ruger Lcp with the Factory 7 round magazine in the front breast shirt pocket of a Propper brand Bdu shirt 4 pocket 100% cotton shirt khaki or Navy Blue.

I can also carry a Bersa Thunder plus 380 in the waist pocket of the same shirts.
            Most of the time I just carry the Bersa in the waist Pocket of the Propper brand of BDU pants I wear daily.Again Khaki most of the time but occasionally Navy blue .
            Neither pistol prints as the Pants and Shirts have a fuller cut.
            I also wear a 3 inch brim hat that is shaped slightly like a Fedora or Safari hat So I look like Stewart Granger or Clarke Gable.
            OK, I do no not look like Stewart Granger or Clarke Gable at all but I am dressed like they would in the old African Movies and perfect clothing for carrying concealed in the Rural area I live in.

Comment

Better pics of my little Beretta Bobcat. It has a set of Altamont rosewood grips on it. Love the little bugger.
              BERETTA BOBCAT 01.JPG BERETTA BOBCAT 02.JPG

Comment

The really tiny guns are always pretty neat. I don’t see the point of a backup to a thunder. Maybe the thunder plus but I’ve never held one. I don’t know how big it is. I just always thought of the thunder as the backup to something bigger and not as the primary that needs a backup.

Comment

I have a Sig P238 which I suppose could be called a back-up, 'cause it is smaller, but that's as small as I want to go.
                  Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by RICK76 View Post
                    The really tiny guns such as sti 2011 are always pretty neat. I don’t see the point of a backup to a thunder. Maybe the thunder plus but I’ve never held one. I don’t know how big it is. I just always thought of the thunder as the backup to something bigger and not as the primary that needs a backup.
                    Agreed but i have Glock and colt as a backup.

Comment

Do take a look at the Beretta Pico. It's a DA only in .380 and very well made.

Comment

Working...
                      X