9 to 40 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 to 40 conversion

A thread on another forum got me thinking...

It was about whether one should get a .40S&W pistol in case there's another ammo shortage and .40 is the only caliber available again. I have no desire to use .40, but I can see the point. Plus, it's an excuse to get another gun.

Or to get a "conversion kit" for one you already have. Parts would run about $230 with one magazine, if I calculated right. Slide, barrel, guide rod, guide rod springs, magazine, what else does one need?

Eagle says there are no .40 barrels available, so I'm saved from this folly for the moment.
    Certified Armed Infidel
    كافر

Re: 9 to 40 conversion

Originally posted by John_R View Post
    ....Eagle says there are no .40 barrels available, so I'm saved from this folly for the moment.....
    See.........sometimes thing just work out right.

That would be the only reason for me to want a 40sw..........available ammo.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

That's as good excuse as any for getting another gun. I would personally prefer to just have another pistol (which I do) rather than have to convert one. Who knows, may want to carry both at the same time, sometime in the future.

Your premise that .40S&W will always be available is flawed, however. The .40S&W also disappeared off the shelves during the recent panic.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I'd say if you are worried about another ammo shortage you should spend the money on ammo, or better yet reloading components, now while they are available. During an ammo shortage having another gun won't help you near as much as having, I don't know, ammo.
        What is best in life? The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Gyrkin View Post
          I'd say if you are worried about another ammo shortage you should spend the money on ammo, or better yet reloading components, now while they are available. During an ammo shortage having another gun won't help you near as much as having, I don't know, ammo.
          Why not both?

$230 would buy about 275 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 9mm, or for just a little more, 1000 rounds of 9mm FMJ.
          Last edited by John_R; 07-08-2014, 03:51 PM.
          Certified Armed Infidel
          كافر

Comment

Why not both?
            If you have $460 to spend I'd get twice as much ammo. That is if your concern is a future ammo shortage. If you just want a new gun, I can identify with that, and that's a whole different story.
            What is best in life? The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Comment

My answer to a shortage is to have multiple choices of calibers so I'm not concerned about which caliber will be available.
              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I did this for the very reason you stated. If the SHTF, there's going to be a ton of .40 ammo in the streets.
                What's that old adage, learn to use your enemies weapons? .......and steal their ammo.
                Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
                Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Rollin Thunder View Post
                  I did this for the very reason you stated. If the SHTF, there's going to be a ton of .40 ammo in the streets.
                  What's that old adage, learn to use your enemies weapons? .......and steal their ammo.
                  If you can steal their ammo, just steal their gun too. And drive off with them in their MRAP.
                  Certified Armed Infidel
                  كافر

Comment

Reload- it's cheap and the government or suppliers who panic can not stop you from shooting. during this last crisis I never brought any ammo and have materials to make a thousand rounds in 9mm, 380 and 38Special. also have .45 dies to make trading ammo. don't have a 45 yet to shoot however accumulating a little range brass.

Whenever I get ready to head to the range instead of digging into reserves I press out a hundred or so rounds of whatever I'm planning on shooting that day.
                    Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

You don't own a .45, and you call yourself an American? Blasphemy! Shame!
                      Certified Armed Infidel
                      كافر

Comment

You don't own a .45, and you call yourself an American? Blasphemy! Shame!
                        Ha ha, I carried my .45 on July 4, just for that reason!

As to the OP. I would have as many calibers in my collection as possible. You want one gun to convert, but a Witness and all the conversion kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Walk a mile in my shoes, and you will be at the range.

Comment

I've always liked the Witness.
                          Certified Armed Infidel
                          كافر

Comment

Yeah... My .45 is a Witness. You can convert to:
                            .22lr
                            38super
                            9mm
                            10mm

I might be buying the 10mm to have for Alaska trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Walk a mile in my shoes, and you will be at the range.

Comment

Guess this may stir something up but the thought just hit me:
                              I see the 40 to 9 conversions works what about the 40 to 45 is that a option with just slides, springs and barrel or not doable at all
                              Dick Harding
                              Boise ID
                              Thunder 40 Pro HC
                              Thunder 40 Pro UC
                              Thunder 380cc

Comment

Working...
                              X