Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Firestorm .40, requesting diagnosis of issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Firestorm .40, requesting diagnosis of issues.

My MF.40 is off my carry rotation for three reasons, I need help with two of them:

1. My accuracy isn't as good as my other carry guns. This takes practice, and an understanding that double tap practice will result in a few wild (still on target, but not on center) shots, since this gun does kick. Just need more followup practice. Actually not bad enough to not carry, but with the other two issues, it clinches it.

2. Slide has been locking open when mag isn't empty. While it is quick to drop the slide again, the pause to figure out that is the problem and I am really not out of ammo.... not a good thing. Happened twice during one mag and once on the high cap (two different mags) on yesterday's shoot. I assume this will take a small part or some adjustment. I am not the original owner, so warranty is not an option. As an ex-USAF Avionics tech, I am quite comfortable making my own repairs. This also doesn't really preclude carrying, but it isn't a good idea. I am considering replacing the spring holding the slide release in position.

3. This gun has been double tapping on one trigger pull. This is rare, and I have been able to keep these extra shots on paper. Has happened 3 times total in 4 shoots (200 rounds approx). Did not happen yesterday. I suspect, this problem is related somehow to #2 item. This problem makes carrying this weapon irresponsible. Uncommanded shot possibility is not an acceptable carry option.
    Last edited by Marty8613; 02-03-2015, 10:10 AM. Reason: "Pronoun trouble" - Daffy Duck
    Walk a mile in my shoes, and you will be at the range.

Re: Mini Firestorm .40, requesting diagnosis of issues.

We need a real gunsmith here, but for the moment...

The double tap would most likely be trigger not engaging the sear properly
    or disconnector wear?

Or maybe the recoil causing a bump-fire?

How heavy/light is the trigger?
    Well Armed Christian Soldier!

Comment

Originally posted by cavelamb View Post
      We need a real gunsmith here, but for the moment...

The double tap would most likely be trigger not engaging the sear properly
      or disconnector wear?

Or maybe the recoil causing a bump-fire?

How heavy/light is the trigger?

I'd call it bump fire. It never does it DA, only when SA. SA trigger isn't overly light. It is a touch heavier than my BT380. I do not have equipment to test trigger weight. I might just strip this down and look for worn parts.

Comment

For your slide locking open you need to look at your ammo and the area of the slide lock that is contacted when the mag follower is out and pushes it up. The bullet nose is likely making contact there and a little dressing or change in ammo may be necessary to resolve that issue. That is likely the problem area for it.
        Certified Armed Infidel .
        WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
        45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by gtgeorge View Post
          For your slide locking open you need to look at your ammo and the area of the slide lock that is contacted when the mag follower is out and pushes it up. The bullet nose is likely making contact there and a little dressing or change in ammo may be necessary to resolve that issue. That is likely the problem area for it.

The last batch was Federal, but I haven't tested with my defense ammo. This has happened with several brands of standard ammo and one set of reloads.

I am thinking it is the slide catch spring as far as the locking back. But, this is another thing to look at. Thanks...

It has never done this with manual cycling of the slide.

Comment

Spring underneath the disconnect was a little bent. I think this was it. Not easy to get to. Now I have to go shoot again (darn [emoji6]). Anyone ever see this issue? Why wouldn't this disconnect the trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just for discussion purposes...
              This looks quite a bit different from the Thunder.
              Without the gun in hand, I'm just guessing...
              But the red parts all seem to be involved one way or another.

If the disconnector spring was bent then it might not -=uhm=- disconnect?
              Or maybe not fast enough anyway?

Glad you found a problem to fix. At least that's something!

MiniFireStormDisco.jpg

Eagle seems to have brain damaged their Bersa site (again)
              Had to go to Steve's Pages to get the manual. (Nearly every gun ever made)
              http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm
              Attached Files
              Well Armed Christian Soldier!

Comment

Yeah Cavelamb, 46 was bent and impeding 21. Explains both issues.

Comment

Ugg, now my ex Force Recon dad is trying to help on FB.

Comment

Let us know if replacing your bent spring solves the problem. I did have a double fire with my CZ P-07 when the sear spring was weak. Ordered a stronger sear spring from Cajun Gun Works and put it in and now my P-07 is running flawlessly. I shot it today and I got four targets that were like big 1-hole groups!

So if the bent spring isn't the fix, the next place to look into is the sear spring.

Comment

Originally posted by FakeBersaName View Post
                      Let us know if replacing your bent spring solves the problem. I did have a double fire with my CZ P-07 when the sear spring was weak. Ordered a stronger sear spring from Cajun Gun Works and put it in and now my P-07 is running flawlessly. I shot it today and I got four targets that were like big 1-hole groups!

So if the bent spring isn't the fix, the next place to look into is the sear spring.
                      Darn (edited) you, that is the the same thing Dad suggested. I'll shoot on Sunday.

Comment

As another post stated, the double-tapping is probably due to your inadvertent bump firing. You might try purposely pulling back the trigger forcefully with the idea of holding it back against the trigger stop firmly after the round fires.

If it still does the double-tapping, you may be in possession of a "full-auto" pistol. Without the necessary NFA tax stamp and paperwork, there can be severe repercussions as you now effectively have a machine gun pistol. The ATF defines a full-auto as any firearm capable of firing more than one round with a single pull of the trigger.

Doesn't matter if it shoots two or a hundred rounds w/ a single pull, it's still legally a full auto.
                        However, it is more likely that you have a worn/broken sear, weak sear spring or do not have a positive engagement of the sear surfaces.
                        If the above applies and/or your new spring doesn't stop the problem completely, I'd definitely advise sending it in to the warranty center of your choice.
                        Wolfgang
                        Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
                        http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
                        Tel: (503)429-7342
                        [email protected]

Comment

A couple of ways to check if it is the operator or the gun is to have someone else fire the weapon and see if they have the same problems. As far as the slide lock issue the #1 reason is shooter with their off hand actually pushing up on the slide lock by mistake/not paying attention while firing causing it to lock to the rear. The slide lock on the mini firestorm actually sticks out a good deal (much more than a most pistols) so if you have any fingers near it that would be the first thing I would look for.

The double tap is obviously more concerning and a little more difficult to diagnose. Getting to the firing pin in the mini firestorm is a pain compared to other pistols. (You have to remove the rear sight to get the firing pin out and be careful because there are little pins/springs that will come out when you do it.

Comment

What are your other carry guns that you shoot better?

Comment

Working...
                            X