Firestorm mini .40 recoil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firestorm mini .40 recoil springs

I'm new to the forum and although I enjoy guns and target shooting, I'm not an expert by any means. Several years ago a purchased an original Firestorm(non Bersa) mini .40 that had one magazine shot through it. It's the 2 tone model. Basically like new. The guy didn't like how noisy it was and the recoil. Guns, noisy?? My issue is it has both the inner and outer recoil springs. I'm 68 years old and it's difficult to pull the slide back due to the spring(s) tension and arthritis. I have a Hi-Point .40 and, tried a Glock and Sig of comparable models and the slide is much easier to pull on all of them. As an experiment I removed the outer spring, reassembled it and, tried pulling the slide. A remarkable difference and much easier to pull. Are both springs absolutely necessary? Will removing the outer spring cause more recoil felt? I didn't try firing it, with only one spring, for fear it would do damage. I know there's a great deal of science involve in weaponry. Thanks in advance.

Re: Firestorm mini .40 recoil springs

Yes, both are needed at least right now, just removing one spring will likely hammer the slide to death, or result in failures because of the increase of slide speed. The spring tensions are carefully calculated to balance preventing damage to the pistol and reliablity . A knowledgeable smith may well be able to find the lightest weight springs needed for reliability and ease of use. Wolfgang may be around soon and give you a better answer.

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat sndeng. I don't think it'd be advisable to shoot it with just one spring. Have you tried racking the slide with fingers wrapped over the top, gripping the slide between them & the heel of your hand, then pushing with your other hand, rather than pulling the slide? Holding it up close to your chest uses shoulder muscles. Just be sure you turn your body so the pistol is pointed in a safe direction. It'll also help if you cock it first.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Giving it more thought I think that 3 pistols you mentioned all have rather blocky heavy slides, especially the Hi-Point which is a blowback design and uses a very heavy slide to help control the slide movement. This allows the pistols to use a lighter spring because the extra weight of the slide helps control the rearward momentum, at least thisis what Ithink might be one big difference in the feel.

Also with striker fired pistols there is no hammer under spring tension to force back with the slide, as mentioned if you cock the hammer before wracking slide it does make a difference.
        Last edited by lee1959; 04-04-2016, 08:46 AM.

Comment

As with most things in life, this is a trade-off. Within certain limits, the lighter the recoil spring, the more damage will be done to the pistol w/ each shot and the more felt recoil there will be. A some point, a lighter spring becomes a little more dangerous due to the increased likelihood of a failure in the slide stop area. I'm not a firearms engineer, so I can't say where this point might be; perhaps no one can say for sure.
          If you do decide to go w/ the single spring approach, I'd suggest finding the slide stop and keep a close eye on it for accelerated wear/deformation. However, I'm not recommending the reduced recoil spring approach.
          Wolfgang
          Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
          http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
          Tel: (503)429-7342
          [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X