WHAT'S THE BEST AMMO TO USE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT'S THE BEST AMMO TO USE

I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING FEDERAL 180 GRAIN FMJ AND HAVING OUT OF BATTERY ISSUES. (This is where the slide does not go all the way forward while feeding a round into the chamber.) ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT?

Re: WHAT'S THE BEST AMMO TO USE

That's a new one to me. The .40 seems to be as reliable as the 9mm.
    Is it at any particular round? Does it happen all the time, every time?
    The first thing I'd do is break down the mags. and clean/examine them. Take a cotton ball a push it through the disassembled mag and see if it hangs up anywhere.
    The next thing I'd do, is buy a box of different brand ammo and run it through the gun, see what it does.
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Comment

I would have to agree. I have shot .40 Federal ammo with no problems. I would check magazine and maybe clean gun again if you hadnt already. Also, try another brand of ammo and see if its the gun or the ammo. I have had zero problems through almost 300 rounds on mine.

Good Luck and God bless!

Benjamin

Comment

New Bersas are packed with some heavy gunk for shipping. I'm sure you cleaned yours before you shot it the first time; but if you didn't, clean all that black stuff out and try the Federals again. I can't think of any reason why rounds should not be entering the chamber all the way unless your chamber walls are obstructed by packing grease or there is something wrong with the slide spring. But if the slide feels stiff when you chamber your first round, then that should not be a problem either.

Perhaps a visual inspection of the spring after you take the slide off to make sure nothing is impeding it or that it is seated properly???

Federal makes some of the best ammo made...so it is not the ammo. Most of us use it all the time. I do.

Also, next time you shoot it, try it with the other magazine to see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, then you have narrowed the problem down to the offending magazine.
        Last edited by FakeBersaName; 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM.

Comment

HEY THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK. I JUST GOT THE GUN RECENTLY AND DID CLEAN IT BEFORE FIRING. I DID ONLY USE ONE OF THE MAGS, SO I WILL TRY THE OTHER ONE AND SEE IF I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM. I HAVE ONLY SHOT 100 ROUNDS THROUGH IT AND HAD 6 OCCURRENCES WITH THE OUI OF BATTERY ISSUE.

Comment

I think I'd switch to some other brand of ammo, at least until you get past the break-in period. Also, make sure the slide and frame rails are well lubricated, and the guide rod and recoil spring, too. This doesn't sound like a magazine issue to me.
            I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Comment

Will do, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X