Thunder UC Pro .40 FTF Failure to Feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunder UC Pro .40 FTF Failure to Feed

Hi Folks, it's been a while since I posted here, but I have run into a problem with my UC Pro 40. The last 2 times I went to the range I had FTF problems with every round (and I tried different ammo). I am able to manually rack the slide and the next round will feed.

My question is, what is my first step in trying to solve the problem? Thanks for you help!

First step is an extra careful cleaning. Wolfgang says one of the most common causes of failure to feed, is a problem with the extractor. Crud can build up under the extractor & behind the claw & it's easy to overlook when cleaning. I like the CRC Brake Cleaner spray, using the nozzle to pin point the stray behind the claw. You may see discolored fluid coming out the side of the slide, from underneath the extractor. Spray until it runs clear. Some also use a pick or a baby toothbrush & solvent to clean behind the claw.

If that doesn't do it, depending on how old & how many rounds, maybe mag spring or recoil spring. 'Course, there are others here that are better at trouble shooting than I. A detailed description of failure, showing what the failed round does, can help them trouble shoot.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Another thing....if you have 2 or more mags....label them and see if the issue is with just one or all of them. If just one- then there is the issue. If with all- then its something else.
      Also...if you can shoot a few rounds from bench rest (hold the muzzle end down on something solid). If the fte goes away....then you may need to change up your grip a bit.
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

You guys are great. Thanks for the tips and the help.

Comment

When is the last time you oiled the gun? A dry gun won't feed as well as one that has been lubricated.

Sometimes grip can contribute to problems with reliability. Are you firing one handed or two? Make sure you are not engaging the slide lock with your off hand by mistake if the slide is locking back for no apparent reason. The Thunder slide lock is very pronounced.

Have someone else fire the gun and see if they have the same problem.

Usually you can tell if the springs are worn out because the problem is more pronounced when the magazine is full but gets better as there are less rounds in the magazine and the spring doesn't have to work so hard. I have found that the Thunder magazines are very good so at least that helps justify their high price.

Also make sure the magazine is full seated in the gun. Sometimes when you put the magazine in with the Thunders you think it is in but it actually isn't by just a MM or 2. Give it an extra push after you think you have put it in and see if you hear an additional click.

Comment

Working...
          X