Trigger Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigger Reset

I noticed something today with my Firestorm Mini 40. With each shot, when the trigger reset, it did so with enough force to become painful for my trigger finger. It;s been quite some time since I've shot my 40 because of breaking in my two 9mm Bersas & my PF9, but seems I had noticed this in the past, but it was not on a consistant basis. Today, fired two mags (20 rounds) & didn't want any more of it. This was Federal FMJ 180 grain. I had a box of some new stuff Wally World started handling - Federal JHP 135 grain - I'd just bought. It still happened, but didn't seem as bad. Is this because of something I could be doing or is it the ammo I was using, or is it typical for 40 caliber?
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Re: Trigger Reset

WoW!!!! I could have had a 45 Hand slapping forehead.
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

How does it hurt your finger? Is it pinching your finger when it resets or is it snapping back so hard that it squeezes your finger? I have never shot a Mini 40 but I have a a couple different brands of 40s and neither of mine give me issues with trigger reset. They are both different in how they reset and I have to remember what one I am shooting. I usually shoot 180 or 165gr FMJ for range. I guess we need more info mitchr.
      sigpic
      1,000 Posts on Bersatalk.com

Comment

It's just popping back & hitting the pad of my finger. It is not pinching it or mashing it against anything. Imagine taking a metal object & hitting the pad of your finger hard enough to cause a slight pain. It's not much, but doing it 20 times in the course of shooting 2 mags through it, the discomfort ruins your enjoyment of shooting. When you squeeze off a round & release the trigger, it moves forward & then close to the end of it's forward motion, it seems to suddenly pop the rest of the way forward. I tried "riding" it forward with my trigger finger, as if to hold it back, but that didn't help. It's hard to explain. I'll take it out again next week & try it with the mag loaded alternately with different ammo. I have the Federal 180 & 135, WWB 165 & I think I have some Remington, but not sure what weight. If I don't, I'll try to get some.

P.S. And MT, I do have a 45 (not a Bersa) & enjoy shooting it also. :) But that was on the last trip.
        Last edited by mitchr; 04-28-2010, 12:02 AM.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Try holding the trigger all the way in with your finger then after the recoil just easy your finger back and you will feel the exact point of reset and that way it will take almost no movement of your finger for follow up shot.. Much more accurate for follow up that was too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason View Post
            Try holding the trigger all the way in with your finger then after the recoil just easy your finger back and you will feel the exact point of reset and that way it will take almost no movement of your finger for follow up shot.. Much more accurate for follow up that was too.
            LOL that's the way one shoots a Glock! BUT it is the correct way!
            In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Over on the Beretta Forum, several have mentioned this trigger-slap problem on the PX4 in .40S&W.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason View Post
                I was thinking about that last night, holding the trigger depressed until the pistol is back on target, then ease it out. I guess I should be more observant of what I am doing & when. Since the 135 gr. & 180 gr. ammo felt different, the amount of recoil & muzzle flip must have something to do with it. I must be releasing the trigger too soon. Odd that it doesn't happen with my 9mm or 45ACP.
                Last edited by mitchr; 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Mitchr, that's called "shooting from the reset" and is a common triggering technique taught in police firearms training programs, especially with DA/SA trigger systems like the T-9 Pro. You simply hold the trigger hard back against the stop after every shot and ease the trigger forward until you feel the reset and pull again, gripping the gun very tightly.

You can practice shooting from the reset by dry firing with the aid of a friend, and need not burn up expensive ammo learning the basics of the technique. Using the process I was taught in a POST police firearms instructor training class, you simply clear the pistol, including removing any empty magazines, point it in a safe direction, assume your normal shooting stance and hold the pistol in your normal two hand hold. Then you dry fire the gun and hold the trigger all the way back against the stop after each shot.

Your friend, standing to your left if you're right handed, puts his right hand over the back of your shooting hand and wrist to brace the gun, and then recycles the slide for you with his left hand. Your hands remain in perfect firing grip during the process, gripping the gun very tightly. Then he withdraws his hands and you fire again from the reset, and so on. In this way you can learn a much more effective technique of single action trigger control without burning up a single round, and it doesn't take more than ten pulls dry firing like this to get the hang of it.

The Bersa Thunder 9 Pro has the best reset I've ever seen except for the Smith and Wesson third generation guns, and the Bersa is hot on their heels. It's even better than my prized CZ 75 and 85, which is saying a lot and really impresses me. Hope this helps you.

Jer
                  Last edited by BroJer; 05-14-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks BroJer. When I started this thread, I hadn't really analized my trigger pull to know what I might be doing. I took it to the range yesterday & was more observant. When I held the trigger back against the stop until pistol was back on target, then release it, I felt the trigger "slap" against my finger during the recoil. If I released the trigger immediately on it firing, I didn't get the trigger slap, but it was an unnatural motion for me. Apparently, holding the trigger back throughout the recoil is what I unconsciously have been doing all along. However, I was not gripping the pistol as you suggest, so will try that next trip. What I don't understand is why am I noticing this on just the last 3 or so trips to the range? This was my first pistol, used it to qualify for my CHL & shot it numerous times afterwards with no problem. It's getting to be no fun to shoot!

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Well Mitch, sometimes we unconsciously change something in our firing technique and it results in something like this. I occasionally get a trigger slap from my T-9 Pro, and even from my Hi Power, and it's usually because I've lightened up my grip or I've started allowing my trigger finger to slip further onto the trigger, or I've started letting the trigger to go further forward upon firing, etc. So remember to keep a very tight grip on the pistol with both hands, and keep proper trigger placement on the trigger..i.e. the correct trigger finger placement on the trigger on a double action semiautomatic pistol is for the trigger to bisect the first pad of the trigger finger....not the first joint, the first pad. Now, having said all that, we're all individuals, so once you've done this and if the slap keeps up, try adding or removing some trigger finger from the trigger just a fraction and see if that makes any difference.
                      And unlocking your wrist during firing can exaggerate all these problems.

I apologize but I edited my previous post and eliminated the part about holding the gun like it's a sledgehammer. You might want to read it again, but the tight grip part is a real essential of shooting pistols, whether revolver or auto.]

Jer

Comment

Mitcher: The trigger reset on my HC .40 S&W is the one thing I have noticed that bothers me some when compared to the UC9.

Mine doesn't snap back and pop my trigger finger to the extend of pain--but I have noticed that the trigger return and reset is a lot longer than on the UC9. It just travels a lot farther before it resets and this messes me up a bit, since I am used to the short reset of the UC9.

I wonder if anyone here knows what could be done about this.

I wonder if a gunsmith who really knows what he is doing could shorten the reset (without having to alter the way the gun is designed to work). If so, I would be willing to try it; especially if he could lighten the springs just a very small bit while he has the gun disassembled to shorten the reset on the trigger.

If those two things could be done...this pistol would then fall into the 'perfect' category.

Comment

Sounds broke to me. Send it in.
                          I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Comment

Yeah, FakeBersaName, I agree with p-t-max on your problem. Mine is a little different & I've found info on it on other forums. It seems it is a phenomonom (spelled right?) not related to caliber or any other cause that they can determine. Apparently a pistol may do it with one shooter & not with another shooter. They have also been unable to determine if a particular style of grip by the shooter is causing it. Since it did it that first time to me, I've tried to see what I may have been doing differently that day. This is my first pistol & I used it to qualify for my CHL & had no issue. I've had it to the range since having the problem & it was okay. I had to have altered my grip or trigger follow-through in some way, but can't determine what it was. Really wierd!

P.S. And I know what you're gonna say MT, so I'll save ya the trouble! Wierd shooter!
                            Last edited by mitchr; 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

P.S. And I know what you're gonna say MT, so I'll save ya the trouble! Wierd shooter!

no I have never had that problem of course I mainly shoot 380 and 45 not the 40 FBI girly man caliber.
                              Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Working...
                              X