A new UC 45 problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new UC 45 problem

New for me anyway. So Reynerson's replaced my UC 45 a number of months ago as you may have seen in my other thread where the frame rails failed and broke off. I've run probably 500-600 rounds through the replacement and a week ago, the slide started locking back after about 50% of my shots. Today I went to the range and it's locking back after nearly every shot. Anyone run into that before or have any idea how to fix it?

Re: A new UC 45 problem

Remove mag and clear the pistol. While holding the slide back, actuate the slide stop up and down. Does it spring back into place or just flop around? Does it do so smoothly? You are checking the spring. It should spring back smartly to the down position. The lever is normally actuated to the up position by the follower.
    Is the pistol clean? The Bersa packing goo all removed? No gunk built up inside the pistol where the slide stop is causing it to hang up?

Start with that.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I have run into a couple where the slide stop is a little long and would ever so slightly catch on the nose with 230 ball ammo.

Stoopid phone.
      "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Paladin54,

Just checking, factory or aftermarket magazine?
        Long story short, jab is a male.
        Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by TuxAir View Post
          Remove mag and clear the pistol. While holding the slide back, actuate the slide stop up and down. Does it spring back into place or just flop around? Does it do so smoothly? You are checking the spring. It should spring back smartly to the down position. The lever is normally actuated to the up position by the follower.
          Is the pistol clean? The Bersa packing goo all removed? No gunk built up inside the pistol where the slide stop is causing it to hang up?

Start with that.
          When I ws cleaning it after going to the range yesterday, I noticed the slide stop does appear to be a little loose. I'll have to look at it more closely. It's definitely clean, I clean all my weapons thoroughly every time I shoot. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll report back once I've inspected it more closely.

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
            I have run into a couple where the slide stop is a little long and would ever so slightly catch on the nose with 230 ball ammo.

Stoopid phone.

Thanks. It's been doing fine since day one (always felt a little "loose" compared to my UC9 and my previous UC45) and I've run a bunch of rounds through it with no problem up to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by pollyb View Post
              Paladin54,

Just checking, factory or aftermarket magazine?
              Factory, Seems to happen with all three factory magazines I have.

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post

Stoopid phone.

This ^^^...... I have seen in other guns. Had the problem on my Kahr CT 380.
                Looked like the slide stop lever may have miss a machining step...it had a jagged edge sticking out too far. I believe I removed about 15/1000 off the end.

Its easy to check-
                Remove the slide, put in a loaded mag- watch the point where the slide stop lever comes closest to the bullet as you insert the mag. If it gets too close- then as the gun cycles that bullet may wobble a little as it chambers out of the mag- and it will lift up the slide stop, locking it back.
                The fix is to remove some off the end of the slide stop lever.......BUT ....on this gun?....I have never removed the slide stop lever?

You might be able to reach it with a little file....?.....may be a job for Wolfgang.
                Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Start with that.

OK, I checked and while it is a little loose side to side, it does spring back into place.

Comment

Originally posted by brojohn View Post
                    This ^^^...... I have seen in other guns. Had the problem on my Kahr CT 380.
                    Looked like the slide stop lever may have miss a machining step...it had a jagged edge sticking out too far. I believe I removed about 15/1000 off the end.

Its easy to check-
                    Remove the slide, put in a loaded mag- watch the point where the slide stop lever comes closest to the bullet as you insert the mag. If it gets too close- then as the gun cycles that bullet may wobble a little as it chambers out of the mag- and it will lift up the slide stop, locking it back.
                    The fix is to remove some off the end of the slide stop lever.......BUT ....on this gun?....I have never removed the slide stop lever?

You might be able to reach it with a little file....?.....may be a job for Wolfgang.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at it to check this out.

Comment

Start with that.

So I've looked at this again. When I hold the slide back, there is no spring at all to the lever. It pushes up and gravity makes it fall back down unless the slide is locked against it. It doesn't feel like it's connected to anything and just moves up when you push it up and when you pull the slide back further, it simply falls down out of the way so the slide can move forward. So you're saying it should be spring activated?

Comment

The spring is dislodged or broken. Look at item 32 (spring). 30 & 31 are the right and left levers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 7.57.01 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	600326

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 7.57.17 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	600325
                        Last edited by TuxAir; 02-01-2017, 09:00 PM.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I have fixed more than one where the little hook that holds the spring has broken off too.

Stoopid phone.
                          "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I was looking at the diagram last night and was wondering about that spring. I always have a hard time with the diagram seeing what actually goes where and I wasn't sure if that part had anything to do with the lever. I'll have to look at it tonight and see if I can figure out how to get to that spring so I can check it out. Any tips on how to get there?

Comment

Good to know, that might be the problem then. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X