Re: A new UC 45 problem

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
    Check your inbox Paladin.

Stoopid phone.

Thanks - you've got mail too...

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
      This is the 3rd, maybe 4th time I've heard of a frame failing in 10 years on Bersa forums & probably millions of them in service. I wouldn't call that continually failing.
      OK, I have resolution to the problem. I talked with Eagle and ended up sending the pistol to Wolfgang (Thanks for the recommendation everyone - he was outstanding to deal with and incredibly helpful). The frame was indeed broken and Eagle/Bersa replaced the .45 again. That makes this the 3rd UC 45 I've had as it's been replaced twice due to frame failures: 1st was the left rear slide rail breaking off the frame and 2nd was the part of the frame wall that covered this spring broke off, rendering the pistol incapable of cycling properly. Of course these two replacements don't include the magazine release mechanism breaking twice on the first UC45 I had. I love the pistol but I'm not having a good track record with it. Have owned my Thunder 380 and my UC9 for three times as long and never had the first problem with them, knock on wood....
      Last edited by Paladin54; 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

You've had about as much trouble with your UC45s as all other members here, put together! That does make a guy think! I had a similar experience with my 1st Am. Classics. I bought a Government model. The front sight fell out & was lost at the range. Sent it in for repair & they had it 7 months. It was a staked sight & they couldn't find a front sight to fit, trying several OEMs & several after market. Finally was told they were replacing the pistol. About 2 weeks later, got a call from Sodini, the manager of Eagle, telling me they found something wrong with the front sight on the replacement! He told me if it was okay, he'd upgrade me to the Deluxe & I was tired of waiting so I told him okay.

At first, it seemed fine, but then started having feeding issues. I was determined not to send it in. With a lot of help from MT & folks on the Am. Classic forum, I was able to work it out, that's when MT gave me the 1911 jinx title. It took about 500 rounds of ammo & several trips to the range, but it's running smooth as any 1911 I have & I've probably put another 1K rounds thru it since. Cost of ammo was more than the freight to send it in, but I don't regret doing it. I learned a lot from those folks about how a semi auto functions.
        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

You've had about as much trouble with your UC45s as all other members here, put together! That does make a guy think! I had a similar experience with my 1st Am. Classics. I bought a Government model. The front sight fell out & was lost at the range. Sent it in for repair & they had it 7 months. It was a staked sight & they couldn't find a front sight to fit, trying several OEMs & several after market. Finally was told they were replacing the pistol. About 2 weeks later, got a call from Sodini, the manager of Eagle, telling me they found something wrong with the front sight on the replacement! He told me if it was okay, he'd upgrade me to the Deluxe & I was tired of waiting so I told him okay.

At first, it seemed fine, but then started having feeding issues. I was determined not to send it in. With a lot of help from MT & folks on the Am. Classic forum, I was able to work it out, that's when MT gave me the 1911 jinx title. It took about 500 rounds of ammo & several trips to the range, but it's running smooth as any 1911 I have & I've probably put another 1K rounds thru it since. Cost of ammo was more than the freight to send it in, but I don't regret doing it. I learned a lot from those folks about how a semi auto functions.

Sounds like you got the kinks worked out and doing it at the range is definitely way more fun than sending it in Hopefully, we've both got our problems worked out now and the jinx's are gone forever!

Comment

Safety first - clear the pistol and remove all live ammo from the vicinity. Also, wear safety glasses (always!) as the grip catch and hammer spring can come out with considerable force during their removal.

To remove the grips, the hammer must be in the down or "fired" position. Then push the grip catch (p/n 61) in about 1/4" and turn it CCW about 45 degrees. This will hold the grip catch down and out of the way while you remove the grip. Reverse the process for reassembly.

If you wish, the catch, hammer spring & strut can also be removed while the grips are off. To do so, CAREFULLY turn the grip catch another 45 degrees CCW until the tab lines up w/ the slot in the frame. The hammer spring is under a fairly large amount of tension and will launch into orbit if you're not careful.

Wolfgang

I tried, again, to get the grips off. I had an old screw driver with a thicker blade which fit the slot better & I ground the sides down until it fits. It has a substantial handle so I can get a good grip, but still can't budge the cam! I've had the grips off one of my Bersas, but couldn't remember which one, so I've tried both 9mms & both .40s & can't get them off either! Made sure hammer is down & I can push in on the cams easily enough, but they just will not turn. Tried turning as I slowly pushed them in, so as to not miss the slot, but no luck. I realize I've lost some strength over the years, but not that much!

Anyone got any ideas??
            Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
            http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
            503-429-7342

Comment

I got it off Wolfgang. The blade on my make shift screw driver just wasn't long enough & I wasn't pushing the cam down far enough. Lengthened it & problem solved.
              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Glad to hear that!
                That's why I put in the "push in about 1/4"" note.
                Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
                http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
                503-429-7342

Comment

Working...
                X