Control Levers Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Levers Mod

i'm wondering if anyone here has modified or has considered modifying the ambi controls on their Pro UC or TPR compact, specifically the decocker and slide lock lever to be slimmer. i understand about possible warranty issues but i'm referring BEYOND that.

i don't think you can simply take off the right side controls to make the pistol overall slimmer as they seem to hold the left side controls in place, however, making both sides slimmer does in fact seem possible and worthwhile.

the specs given by Bersa are a bit deceiving(not on purpose)(1.45" thick) and a TPR is actually thinner then the numbers given show. the slide is actually .98" all the way across and the (new type) grip area is actually 1.21" thick. obviously the thickness given(1.45") is at the controls only but i find that even those numbers are a little off and instead the thickness there is 1.39".(probably because the measurement given is from the older controls on previous models which had more of a pyramid shape to them then the now flatter controls). ...but it could be even better if these controls were even narrower given the nature and purpose of the compact model, reason for my question/thread.

it seems to me that properly milling or grinding down these two controls will allow the pistol to have a very slim thickness given the specs of other modern slim pistols out there that were not specifically designed to be slim all the way around like the PPS or BP.

BTW, i'm not interested in the BP or things like "just buy this or that pistol". there's a reason why i like DA/SA. i'm also aware of the SA XDE and it's too long and tall and i prefer more rounds. i'm also aware of out of production models like S&W CS and the like, not interested in that type of discussion.

one of the common themes or things that get mentioned by so many gun reviewers out there is that these Bersas are "chunky" or for people with only large hands. IMO that's not true at all and in fact they're actually thinner than many/most out there of similar design(compacts based off the larger version). except the control levers do poke out.

anyway, anyone thought about this?

I refinished mine several years ago, a pre-pro UC9. I used a large and very sharp file and cut down the levers two "stairsteps" for lack of a better word. It looks great and is quite a bit thinner on the controls. I'm not certain how the newer levers will take to it, but I'm sure something could be easily done.
    Mitchr or pollyb are really good at finding old pics, they might can find the original thread.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

They could certainly be filed down, but I don't know what that would do to them as far as weakening them & possibly make them subject to breaking. I've carried my UC9 & my HC9 & have no problem with them.
      Last edited by mitchr; 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I filed my levers down flat on both sides and it hasn't hurt its performance or strength in any way.https://i.imgur.com/mK9YVmd.jpgj

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
          I refinished mine several years ago, a pre-pro UC9. I used a large and very sharp file and cut down the levers two "stairsteps" for lack of a better word. It looks great and is quite a bit thinner on the controls. I'm not certain how the newer levers will take to it, but I'm sure something could be easily done.
          Mitchr or pollyb are really good at finding old pics, they might can find the original thread.

thanks.

yep, just take a file to them, carefully, slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
            They could certainly be filed down, but I don't know what that would do to them as far as weakening them & possibly make them subject to breaking. I've carried my UC9 & my HC9 & have no problem with them.
            thanks.

I've believe in the idea that, IF your going to carry, doing so with a full size and finding the right holster and method is better then going the opposite direction and shrinking the gun for the sake of being able to conceal because you find it difficult. I've thought that way for many years. the reasons are for more rounds, better, faster grip when drawing(less fumbling) and to a lesser extent, velocity. way too many people are looking to ever-shrink their pistols without thinking it through. of course, there are exceptions for what your out and about doing, where your doing it and how your dressed.

at this point in time for me, it's about niches. with the craze of polymer pistols and glock type triggers out there or DOA, it's sometimes hard to find what I like/need. on top of that, I was spoiled a very long time ago by the Walther P99 AS and its trigger, which is one of the reasons I love the Bersa PRO/TPR.

Comment

Originally posted by FakeBersaName View Post
              I filed my levers down flat on both sides and it hasn't hurt its performance or strength in any way.https://i.imgur.com/mK9YVmd.jpgj

AHA! there you go.

thanks.

Comment

I didn't start carrying until I retired & no longer had to live with a dress code, so I decided I'd dress to fit my carry. I can conceal any pistol I've bought, including a full size 1911 or, as stated, my HC9. 'Course now, one issue I have is weight. I still carry my all steel 1911 on occasion, but I can feel it if I'm on my feet for a good while, even with a proper holster & heavy duty belt & prefer my P938 or Bersa .380 Plus.
                Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
                  I didn't start carrying until I retired & no longer had to live with a dress code, so I decided I'd dress to fit my carry. I can conceal any pistol I've bought, including a full size 1911 or, as stated, my HC9. 'Course now, one issue I have is weight. I still carry my all steel 1911 on occasion, but I can feel it if I'm on my feet for a good while, even with a proper holster & heavy duty belt & prefer my P938 or Bersa .380 Plus.

I hear you. I was looking at the S&W shield EZ the other day and thinking....hmmm, you never know what's right around the corner.

Comment

Working...
                  X