New Bersa Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bersa Owner

Howdy y'all! Just choined the Bersa Chat. I bought a used Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm a little over a year ago. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet (it's a LONG story). I haven't looked to see if the I have instructions that will help, but when I was first looking at it and checking it out I could get the slide to lock back. Now it doesn't seem to want to lock. Am I missing something? I hope to get to the range and actually shoot it someday. First time owning a firearm and I like the feel of it and I read a lot of positive reviews about the gun itself. I'd appreciate any insight y'all can offer. Thank you and have a great day!

Are you trying to lock the slide back with an empty mag in the gun? The slide telease needs something to hold it up against the slide
    W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Welcome to the homeplace, by the way
      W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
      NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat. If trying to lock it back with no mag in place, you must push the slide stop up to catch the notch. If it won't lock back with an empty mag in place, the slide stop may be worn.
        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Welcome to the group. Congrats on your purchase.
          Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Howdy back at ya FredRob22!
            What they said.
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

It's been a while since I played with it, but it seems I might have been trying it without the magazine in. I'll try tinkering with it in the next couple of days and figure out for sure. Thank you for the advice and the welcome.

Comment

A year before trying out a new gun & not even playing with it on a daily basis?? I didn't even like to wait a couple days after buying a pistol, to try it out!! The day I got it, I took it apart & cleaned it, then couldn't put it down! Might have slept with it, but for the chiding I knew I'd get from Marty (Unloaded until proven at the range & an empty gun is useless). Unless it was bad weather, I had it at the range the next day. 'Course, I'm retired & I understand you poor workin' slobs might hafta wait 'til the weekend, but over a year???

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

If you don't take it out to play and shoot it very soon we could charge you with neglect . Don't make us come over there .
                  Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Well, it is a long story. But I'm happy to report, it got fired yesterday. Part of the holdup had been what I thought were the prices at the local gun range and every time I thought I would have money for it, something came up. Found out over the weekend that I had misunderstood on their prices and it was about half the cost I had anticipated. Wife and I had fun trying it out yesterday and will be able to go more often given the pricing. May need to get the sights repaired, but was very happy with how it went.

While on the subject, what ammunition do y'all recommend for the Bersa Thunder 9mm's? I believe I was using Winchester full metal jacket that I bought at Wal-Mart and only had a few issues with jamming/misfiring but that could be because I'm not used to loading the magazines and some of them may have been a hair off when loading.

Comment

Good you had fun. Any name brand ammunition should be okay, just stay away from steel cased ammo. I like Federal because it seems to burn cleaner & was usually the lowest priced at Walmart. Since they say they'll no longer handle pistol ammo, on line may be the best. I've used Freedom Munitions remanufactured ammo & they also have new.

If you'll describe the jamming, maybe someone can diagnose the problem. Cleaning, especially behind the extractor, seems to be a common cause with a new pistol. That goo they come with is not a lube & if you don't get it all out, it can cause problems.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

FredRob, It isn't unusual to have a jam or two with a new pistol and dirty-burning Winchester ammo. I prefer Federal Aluminum for cheap ammo and my favorite is GECO. Hopefully, after a thorough cleaning and lubrication your next range trip will have no more jams.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for all the insight. I cleaned it when I first bought it just because I didn't know how dirty it was (didn't seem too bad). And it could also be that it was my first time loading, so that may factor into it too. I've got about 20-30 rounds of the Winchester left. Was thinking of trying the Federal or maybe Remington. Gonna check Sportsman's Warehouse since Wal-Mart quit selling ammunition.

As far as the slide locking into place, I think it was just because I didn't have a magazine in it. Used the slide lock lever on Monday and it locked pretty much every time. But must say, overall I'm very happy with the gun. Next task is to clean it after our recent trip and get the sights adjusted. Found a place online for guns and ammo called Bud's Gun Shop. Prices seem to be pretty decent. If Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't have what I want I'll probably try there. Anyway, thanks for all the input. Can't wait to get back to the range again!

Comment

Ok, next question...looking for an inexpensive flashlight/laser sight combo (say under $40) that can easily be attached/detached. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by FredRob22 View Post
                              Ok, next question...looking for an inexpensive flashlight/laser sight combo (say under $40) that can easily be attached/detached. Any suggestions?
                              Set your expectations higher. That's my suggestion.
                              Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Working...
                              X